Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
Fauncey665

Hi from Arkansas

Love my 2020 Keystone Outback 328RL Travel Trailer!!

Still trying to learn all things. The RV place didn't service my trailer, just dropped it off for me after having me spend 2 hours learning about it.

The trailer had pee on the toilet seat, this was addressed when we were looking at it and negotiating our price. The salesman and the service tech acknowledged this and assured us this would be cleaned, the chairs for the dining table were on their sides, molding off on the walls and it was dirty inside as it was on the lot.

I spent the whole day cleaning everything. I wasn't happy.

My biggest 2 issues are the air conditioning units and the grey water tanks.

The bedroom unit works great but my living room unit doesn't. The circular vents by the couch hardly blow. I have called Gander RV in Lowell AR and they will do nothing about it I have called 4 times now. Never getting a return call.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I am living in this for the time being, until we build our home and yes the general manager said its a camper, not meant to live in.

The other issue is our gray water tanks. We have followed all the directions for emptying them. We empty them twice a week as we use biodegradable soaps and we just empty the portable tank in our far out field. No food goes down the drain at all. I cook outside on our grill.

Our black water tank is set up for service and is emptied every 3rd Thursday. We use the recommended enzymes that the RV sales center told us to get.

How can I get rid of the grey water tank odor. I have a vent under the microwave on my camper and it smells... I have looked everywhere as to what this vent is for and can not find anything about it.

I am desperate for help and Gander RV just wont help me.

Thank you all in advance

April
Fauncey665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately your finding out not all dealerships are created equally. I wouldn’t call any more, I would drive there in person and keep asking for the next in line boss until you get some real information and commitment to fix things. Your AC flow will depend on how the vent is set at the unit. If the “quick dump” is open you’ll get a majority of the air at the unit. Close it and the air should be better at the vents. I am afraid your dealer is one of those that just sells and doesn’t service units.

You may be forced to contact Keystone and ask for assistance in using a mobile tech.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Fauncey, a few things;

You don't let the dealer tell YOU how the cookie crumbles on a new RV. YOU need to be front and center with them and push for what is right.

The failure of PDI (pre delivery inspection) unfortunately falls squarely on you. You get what you demand; if you don't you get what they give you, which is usually not much.

Where did you buy the RV? Are you asking another dealer (that you didn't buy from) to take care of warranty work on your trailer? That might be problematic.

As far as the GM saying it's not meant to "be lived in", you should have been down his throat. What does any RV owner do when they take a 1, 2, 3, 10 week trip in an RV? They "live" in it. Your SELLING dealer should be on the line taking care of you; if not I'd be front and center with them putting them on the line.

Grey/black tanks; there are additives for the grey tanks that will minimize odors. We stay in ours months at a time and we don't have that issue. Black tank: dumping the black tank every 3 weeks would not work for me and may be where all your "stink" comes from.

Seems your issue may be trying to a dealer that didn't sell you the trailer and lack of knowledge of how to use an RV. The AC situation needs a little more info to me; my 2 ACs run me out of the RV if I let them (DW loves it/I hate it).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
meaz93*

I have a 2018 328RL; the wife, daughter, our 3 dogs, and I could live in this trailer easy?
We camp as much as we can every June -September.
Dual refrigerators, washer & dryer hook ups, large bathroom, King size bed with its own slide, auto leveling, and on and on....( Great TT IMO)
Your Dealership sounds like Mayberry?
You better believe I would pull that trailer back to them and demand to speak with the owner-period.
Its true that you really needed to write down all that was not to your liking and get it documented and an appointment to have it repaired, but you've had it less than a year obviously.....they need to make it right!
Unbelievable.....you had to clean up the insides?
I believe that Keystone put 2 -13,500 AC's in the trailer (some only come with 1 AC).
The AC doesn't blow very strong in the main living area even if you close off the unit slide vents....but is consistent. Clean the filters on a regular basis.
This unit is ducted throughout the trailer.
If I new what I know now I would have probably had the Dealership change that unit to a 15,000 BTU's.
Now the master bedroom with the 13,500 will get so cold you could hang beef for sure.
Get a fan a point that fan towards the main living area....helps tremendously when its 90°F outdoors .
Get the dishwasher like cleaning chemical tabs to keep your tanks clean.
We've never had a smell problem, but we only Glamp....no Boon Docking for us-lol
Let us know how it goes!
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
notanlines

April, if you are only dumping the black every three weeks there are two things to keep in mind. First, you are not flushing with enough water. That tank isn't big enough to hold that much water. And three weeks is alot of time to let odors build up. Try every week instead.
And see this guy at the number:
Cliff Rackley, general sales manager at Gander RV 479-439-7844
And don't settle for the "He'll call you back" BS. You want to see him IN PERSON like Danny suggested. If no satisfaction there then he'll give you the general manager.
And never underrate social media. Google, Facebook, etc. Tell the truth, leave names and numbers, and don't be vague. Blister the appropriate parties and don't come across as Nancy Nice Nurse! You want to appear as Anne Ramsey (Think 'throw momma from the train')
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
knute

why do i have 2 black water tanks, i have only one bathroom is a 2014 cougar fifth 280rls with washer and dryer
knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #7
notanlines

Knute, you posted on the wrong thread, Bud. Start a new thread and your answers will abound! And welcome to the forum.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum April.
Couple of questions. How long will this living arrangement last? I.E. what's the projected move in date for the s&b house? And what "vent under the microwave" are you referring to?

If you are going to be in the trailer for many months then I would set down with your builder and talk about a sewer connection to the trailer. Doesn't matter if it's a septic or city sewer service. The utility work is typically done first and the cost to run it to the camper should be minimal. This could also be useful after you move into the house for emptying and flushing the holding tanks. Same with water and electric supply.

The "vent under the microwave" ... If you are referencing an air gap fitting they can stick open and let odors into the trailer. Some are made to disassemble and clean, some aren't. How far away are you dumping the gray tank? If you are dumping the tank 15' away you will mist likely smell it coming thru the vents. You can add a sewer cap with a garden hose connector so you can connect a garden hose (NOT the one you use for drinking water) and dump it 50 or 100' away. And don't let those puppies drink the gray water. Just because the cleaner is "green" doesn't mean it's safe for a little dog to drink.

Others have commented on the black tank and I agree, it sounds like you are destined for a "poonami" if you don't start using more water and dumping more frequently. You can get an above ground holding tank to dump into so you don't have to pay the honey dipper so often.

As for the cleaning of your unit that's a judgment call on what you accept as clean and someone else determines clean is. That being said, urine on the toilet is not acceptable to anyone's standard. The toilet being used on a dealer's lot is not unusual especially if they leave the units unlocked for people to browse. That's another plus for ordering a unit from the factory.

Good luck with your nes adventure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Here is what we did to improve the airflow from the front A/C.

At each ceiling vent, there was a gap between the duct and the ceiling, allowing the cold air to escape into that area. We used a thin silver duct tape to close that gap.

Also, upon inspecting under the grill of the A/C, we found the isolation between the inlet and outlet to be lacking, so using cardboard and the silver tape, we improved the divider to separate the airflow better.

It helped our system work better.

Good luck and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote