Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
Caliok

Battery Disconnect

I just bought a new Keystone Premier 30ri.

Is there a battery discount ?
Caliok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

New RV's dont come from the factory with a battery or propane. It will be up to the selling dealer what you get, but I havent heard of any discounts.

Welcome to the forum

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Did your spell checker substituted discount for disconnect.?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
Caliok

Yes… Sorry, i was trying to ask if the premier 30ri had a better disconnect ?
Old 10-31-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliok View Post
A "better disconnect" ???

What does your trailer currently have on it? It's my understanding that the current "new trailers" are all shipped from Keystone with the "Giggybox" which is about the "best full function" battery disconnect system. If that's what your trailer has, you've got "about the most functional" but as to "best", that depends on whether it breaks or otherwise malfunctions between now and the time the warranty expires....

If you have the "old style red key" type battery disconnect, be aware that it is not a "true battery disconnect" but rather is a "partial systems disconnect" which leaves enough stuff powered that your battery will be "dead in a week" with it in the disconnect position and probably in 3 or 4 days with it in the connect position.

Which is "better" ???? Depends on what you understand of the capability of the system on YOUR trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I think your question is does it have a battery disconnect. I'm guessing either your dealer didn’t cover this at delivery or you don't have the trailer yet. Looking at the floorbplan I see a "docking station" called out on the driver side. I would expect to see it inside there if so equipped. If jot there, then inside that front pass thru.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Caliok

I do have the giggy box. Thank you.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad we got that figured out. I was wondering about a discount

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
Falcon67

Quote:
t's my understanding that the current "new trailers" are all shipped from Keystone with the "Giggybox" which is about the "best full function" battery disconnect system.
Not all giggy boxes have a disconnect. Our 2021 Springdale has the giggy, no disconnect. The docs or maybe the YouTube video describe that the giggy has a place to update and install a disconnect. Our cover has the knockout, the inside does not seem to have a mounting location for a disconnect.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:47 AM   #10
Marinerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Looking at the floor plan I see a "docking station" called out on the driver side. I would expect to see it inside there if so equipped. If jot there, then inside that front pass thru.
The docking station has water connections on my 26RBS. My disconnect is on the inside of the tongue at the battery tray on the driver’s side.
TV: 2022 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB
Marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
apachewolf

[QUOTE=JRTJH;475004]A "better disconnect" ???

If you have the "old style red key" type battery disconnect, be aware that it is not a "true battery disconnect" but rather is a "partial systems disconnect" which leaves enough stuff powered that your battery will be "dead in a week" with it in the disconnect position and probably in 3 or 4 days with it in the connect position.

Not always true. My Laredo 240 has the old style red key disconnect but when de-activated it kills all power from the battery. It mnay depend on what day of the week the TT was build or some such thing.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #12
Rocketsled

I think it also depends on if there are any dealer installed options after the sale. Our 'entertainment system' had an accessory lead that bypassed the house disconnect...I want to thing the genset has it's own pair as well...but with the house disconnect disconnected, the stabilizers and hitch jack still worked, too.

Some disconnect.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:13 AM   #13
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliok View Post
Absolutely! and your giggy box has a discount to boom.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
SD Kitty

Question Disconnect

My new Arcadia has a Brock box -but without a red switch. I pulled the cover and there was no provision inside the box for a mechanical switch.

Inside the trailer, below the control panel there is a small panel with two switches, one is red and is for the lithium battery heaters, the second is for the battery disconnect. This is according to the manual which also says (if Equipt)
When I turn this off there is power in the trailer. In other words, the power stays on.
So everyone my question is how am I intended to disconnect the batteries?
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Kitty View Post
My new Arcadia has a Brock box -but without a red switch. I pulled the cover and there was no provision inside the box for a mechanical switch.

Inside the trailer, below the control panel there is a small panel with two switches, one is red and is for the lithium battery heaters, the second is for the battery disconnect. This is according to the manual which also says (if Equipt)
When I turn this off there is power in the trailer. In other words, the power stays on.
So everyone my question is how am I intended to disconnect the batteries?
Remove the negative cable from the battery going directly to ground. This is the surest way to totally disconnect the battery.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Remove the negative cable from the battery going directly to ground. This is the surest way to totally disconnect the battery.
Agreed ! Or, if you prefer a "built in switch" that location is where to install your "add on, user installed battery cutoff switch"... I bought a 24" battery cable, removed the OEM negative battery cable, installed my new cable on the negative terminal of the battery and installed my own "red key switch on the two ends of the cables... It's "electrically the same" as disconnecting the negative terminal of the OEM battery wiring, just doing it with a switch rather than a wrench....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery