Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
BrianKay

2520RL Furnace not firing

Hello 2018 Passport 2520RL.
I am unable to get the pilot to light. The furnace blower will come on for 15 seconds and shut off.
I know the gas is working, the stove and the water heater turn on with gas.
I have the Dometic thermostat on wall, and I set to furnace but I am not having success. the manual doesnt help.
I looked in side cabinet where the fridge seems to be, but i am not seeing low enough I think to see the furnace..
I looked and the fuses seem to be fine
helps and pointers are appriciated.
Thank Brian
BrianKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Pilot? Most are DSI (direct spark ignition) and you should hear a clicking noise that it makes when trying to light, Are uohbkn shore power or battery? If you are on battery and the battery is not fully charged the fan won't blow fast enough to make the sail switch clise the circiit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
BrianKay

No clicking sounds heard, 12v is fully charged and I am also on electric.
not sure where to look.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
MarkEHansen

You should make sure the voltage across your battery terminals, just to make sure your converter is working and charging the battery. With the trailer plugged into shore power, you should have 13+ volts at the battery.

I'm not an expert on the furnaces, but I think if you hear the blower run and no clicking, it can be either the sail switch (this is the switch which tells the controller that the blower is actually moving air) or the controller board itself.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
jsb5717

What Mark said...the sail switch is the easy, no cost thing to check. They can get a little lint in them.

I'm assuming that when you turn on the TStat to call for heat that the blower comes on in the furnace. Then after that there is no clicking. Yes, could be the control board but check that sail switch first.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
BrianKay

Sail switch

Ok, thanks for input, but where is sail switch?
I see under fridge a vent there, but it is screwed in, could it be outside behind fridge area? and I am not seeing the heater portion of the furnace. when I took the side panel off outside behind fridge I didn't see anything..

Thanks
Old 11-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
jsb5717

If you have outside access to your furnace then it's easy peasy. If the furnace is tucked inside cabinetry somewhere it can be more challenging. The sail switch is mounted outside the blower by 2 screws and 2 wire connections...very easy to remove once you have access.

Perhaps you can take some pics so we can better help.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
ASCTLC

Sounds like what I just went through but be careful, sometimes descriptions can be misleading.

I just went through something similar during hunting season. Of course it happened about 9pm after I went to bed but as I got up in the night to pee around midnight I thought it was WAY too cold in the camper.

I checked the thermostat and it indicated it was 43 degrees. OH POO something was definitely wrong!

So I checked the propane first. Tank felt heavy, regulator showed pressure, stove worked fine.

Then I went to the manual. It indicated 3 fault failures and what kind of failure the little Control Board LED flashes meant. LED flashes? Where the heck is that?! Not visible on the side of the furnace, I can tell you that.

I go outside to see if I had an access panel on the side of the camper to get to the furnace opening where that Control Board sits...nope, not gonna line up with any kind of luck I have!

1am I finally resign myself to the idea I wasn't going to fix it that night so off to bed I go. Of course turning off my brain was a hell of a struggle but I finally convinced myself "I'm not gonna fix it tonight and there's just not jack-squat I could do about it.".

Then just after 2am I heard the furnace blower kick on then shut back off when the gas didn't fire. I then remembered reading that there were 3 types of faults listed in my manual; 2 HARD faults and 1 SOFT fault. The HARD faults (gas related and Control Board failure related) would shut down and never try again but the SOFT fault was air flow related and would try again every hour.

At that point I sure slept better because I was most sure it was the infamous Sail Switch to go after. OMG was it freezing in there and the camper belly at 5am!!! Was 33 or 32, not sure which but that's nitpicking about 1 degree.

So I have a look at the furnace and I have one of the dreaded "Pull it out of the cabinet" installs. That sucks!! But I knew it was tackle it at home after a ruined elk hunt that took 8 years to get a tag for or "What the hell, might as well get started here and finish at home if I don't get anywhere.".

I got the furnace partially pulled out and try to run it. NOW I see the light (LED flashes)!!! Yep, 1 flash indicating some kind of "air flow" fault. Now where the heck is that Sail Switch?

The wiring diagram showed 3 BLUE wires going to it and what do you know, it's right there staring me in the face on the side of what I thought was a big electric motor.

I pull it out, manually active it and hear it faintly clicking. So I put it back in and the furnace works. I tested it a couple degrees at a time that morning as I warmed the camper up...it keeps on working every time for hours...then it fails to fire again. Damn....

So I pull it and check the switch by letting the "sail" fall against it's own weight. 4 out of 5 times it activates the switch but then it hangs. At this point I recall all those who've been down this path before me and remember to add a small drop of oil to the sail/plunger surface. I grab my low temp gun oil and add just 1 tiny drop to that surface and the sail/plunger works every time with no effort at all. And continued to work fine for the rest of the trip.

If you pull the sail switch it may seem if works super easily but don't be dumb like me, add a drop of lubricant the first time before putting it back together so you don't have to do it twice

Good luck,
Andy
Old 11-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

Found some great youtube videos on finding and replacing/fixing the sail switch.

Good luck

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace