Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #1
Mongoose9400

Slide Issue

I started having an issue with my kitchen slide popping while extending and retracting. This issue came on suddenly, worked great, not pops every 2-3 seconds. This is a 2018 Raptor Predator 3513P if my signature doesn’t show up with my mobile post. This is the kitchen slide, cable driven. The pop seems very rhythmic. I’ve tried pushing on the slide from top and bottom and neither seem to help. My suspicion is the gearbox went bad suddenly.

Any advice, or does this sound like a failing gearbox?
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
Mongoose9400

Surprised no one chimed in.
Any who, swapped out the Gearbox today and all is good. Fixxed the issue. Part was $100 on Amazon and took about an hour to swap.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Old 11-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Surprised no one chimed in.
Any who, swapped out the Gearbox today and all is good. Fixxed the issue. Part was $100 on Amazon and took about an hour to swap.
Sorry, never saw the original post... Not that I would have been of help. LOL.

After you pulled out the old gearbox, could you feel anything odd or crunchy when turning the old gearbox? What do you think caused it to go bad. Was there an event that may have caused it?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
Mongoose9400

I was not able to turn either the new or old gearbox by hand. The broken gearbox had an ever so slight movement when trying to turn by hand. Gearbox is about three years old and my slide has been open and closed many, many times. I guess it just wore out? I still have the old gearbox laying around, maybe I’ll open it up when I have a free minute to inspect the internals.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Old 11-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I was not able to turn either the new or old gearbox by hand. The broken gearbox had an ever so slight movement when trying to turn by hand. Gearbox is about three years old and my slide has been open and closed many, many times. I guess it just wore out? I still have the old gearbox laying around, maybe I’ll open it up when I have a free minute to inspect the internals.
Typically it's difficult to turn a right angle gearbox by the output shaft. Take your old gearbox and take some jumper wires from the battery and see if it runs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
Mongoose9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Typically it's difficult to turn a right angle gearbox by the output shaft. Take your old gearbox and take some jumper wires from the battery and see if it runs.
The old gear box will run but visually appeared it would slip (under load) periodically at the same point each revolution. Pretty sure its a broken tooth or worn gear. No need to test, new gear box confirmed the old gearbox was the issue. Plus, the motor is separate from the gearbox and the motor is pair with the new gearbox and installed in the rv. I suppose I could figure out a way to use a drill to turn it, but I already know it’s broken at this point.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:09 AM   #7
mikec557

Quote:
The old gear box will run but visually appeared it would slip (under load) periodically at the same point each revolution. Pretty sure its a broken tooth or worn gear. No need to test, new gear box confirmed the old gearbox was the issue. Plus, the motor is separate from the gearbox and the motor is pair with the new gearbox and installed in the rv. I suppose I could figure out a way to use a drill to turn it, but I already know it’s broken at this point.
Thanks for checking. Don't mess with the new one just to satisfy my curiosity. Leave it be. My current RV is the first cable slide system I've had, so I was interested to learn from the motor/gearbox failure you had. Thanks for posting your problem and fix.

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide