Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
twvette

Lug nut issues ... add to upgrade list

Was changing a wheel out due to a nail (actually a wheel stud with blunt end!) penetrating one of my tires on a recent trip and noticed when done I could "wiggle" most the lug nuts a little by hand after torquing them which seemed really strange. Never looked into lug nuts before and found they are two piece lug nuts (WTH). Apparently the "decorative cap" just wears over time and with impact use and can even swell/deform so that standard sized sockets no longer fit on them. I could still torque them on fine but still swapped out a few good ones with other wheels just to ensure nothing else going on to get me home 500 miles. My wheels have only been removed a few times so they did not hold up well and will just get worse. I do use an impact for removal and only to loosely get them back on once started by hand as have the proper torque wrenches for torquing.

So, my next upgrade is lug nuts of all things . I went with McGard model 64010 as they are a highly trusted brand from my research with lifetime warranty and one piece. Their are some doing full stainless steel one piece lugs which would probably be the next step up but can get really pricey and suspect some risk of galling/damaging wheel studs but not really sure, so stuck with McGard's. Also, most the stainless ones are "standard/cone" style where the socket would make contact with the wheel surface whereas best to use "bulge" style lugs that prevent the socket from making contact with a nice aluminum wheel so does not scratch them up. There are some much cheaper china one piece lugs out there that are probably just fine and way better then these two piece likely china china ones they gave us but not worth the risk to me. Make sure the lugs are truly a one piece as some are even mentioned as "lifetime stainless" but are still two piece and just the cap is stainless. You can see a visible line between the two pieces if look closely on the two piece lugs.

Not sure if later models rigs might have gone back to one piece lugs, but apparently most new autos still have these junk two piece for some reason too.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2011 Springdale had "open face lug nuts" and black plastic caps that slipped over the lug nuts to "dress them up"...

Ford used "aluminum caps on open face lug nuts" on the 1978 Ranger pickup "optional wheels". I had a couple of "budget cars as daily drivers" and they also had "capped lug nuts"...

The ones on our Cougar are solid, but the neighbor's Hideout has plastic caps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #3
gearhead

If the Mcguard lug nuts don't work out look at lugnutguys.com
I found that the solid lug nuts are a smaller size than the duplex. My duplex are 7/8" and the solids are 3/4".
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
If the Mcguard lug nuts don't work out look at lugnutguys.com
I found that the solid lug nuts are a smaller size than the duplex. My duplex are 7/8" and the solids are 3/4".
I was looking at lugnutguys.com too and seemed they had some good stuff at REALLY good prices. Almost went that route but was just not sure of the quality so stuck with McGards. Hopefully there is enough info out there on them to use as a trusted source.

The larger hex sizes only seem to come from the “standard/cone” or “Duplex” type lugs but I don’t think those types are ideal if using an aluminum wheel and meant more for the more basic/flat steel wheels. Without a “bulge” to limit the depth of the socket it would likely start to damage the aluminum wheel near the tapered seating surface and have read that has even been linked to wheel cracks/failures. The actual tapered seating area would be the same and is what is really important, but the hex size is reduced to 3/4 to prevent the damage/allow for the bulge. No expert here, but this is what I have found.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
locomech

Swollen lugnuts

About a month ago I took my 2013 F-150 to Discount Tire for a rotation. I was told that the mechanic was having a hard time removing the wheels because of swollen lugnuts. The free tire rotation ended up costing me 70 bucks for new lugnuts. The manager at DT told me Ford and Chrysler vehicles are troublesome because of two piece lugnuts. They swell because of corrosion under the decorative cap. If caught on the side of the road with a flat the wheel wouldn't be able to be removed because the lug wrench won't fit. There should have been a recall to replace these lugnuts.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
I was looking at lugnutguys.com too and seemed they had some good stuff at REALLY good prices. Almost went that route but was just not sure of the quality so stuck with McGards. Hopefully there is enough info out there on them to use as a trusted source.

The larger hex sizes only seem to come from the “standard/cone” or “Duplex” type lugs but I don’t think those types are ideal if using an aluminum wheel and meant more for the more basic/flat steel wheels. Without a “bulge” to limit the depth of the socket it would likely start to damage the aluminum wheel near the tapered seating surface and have read that has even been linked to wheel cracks/failures. The actual tapered seating area would be the same and is what is really important, but the hex size is reduced to 3/4 to prevent the damage/allow for the bulge. No expert here, but this is what I have found.
I almost bought from the lug nut guy, but I have Performance Trailer Braking coming to my house in a couple weeks to do a disc brake install and they said they will bring solid lug nuts.
Those duplex lug nuts have been around awhile. I had a bought new 1974 Olds Cutlass with them. Should be against the law.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade