Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
dav6662

Alpine in storage…need help understanding the electrical/battery

I have a 2021 Alpine 3021RS. It is in enclosed storage between trips. I want to maintain charge on my batteries. Storage has 120v power supplied with a 15 amp plug. Can I use an adapter and plug my 50amp plug into that 120v receptacle and allow the converter to maintain my batteries? And if I do that should I turn the main breaker in the trailer off or not worry about that? Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Thank you for your help!
dav6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #2
travelin texans

If you turn the main breaker off it will also kill power to the converter which is what charges the batteries.
Leaving plugged in is the best option to keep batteries charged, just be sure to check the fluid in the batteries regularly topping off with distilled water.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
I have a 2021 Alpine 3021RS. It is in enclosed storage between trips. I want to maintain charge on my batteries. Storage has 120v power supplied with a 15 amp plug. Can I use an adapter and plug my 50amp plug into that 120v receptacle and allow the converter to maintain my batteries? And if I do that should I turn the main breaker in the trailer off or not worry about that? Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Thank you for your help!
I have left the last three trailers plug in to 15 amp while in storage without a problem. You will need to check the water in the batteries once a month to keep them filled.

As to the breaker... nope leave it on

I even leave my fridge on electric between trips. Just don't run the microwave or A/C on 15 amps.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post

Thank you for your help!
You could plug it in with an adapter..I don’t shut anything else off. Alternatively you could just disconnect the batteries and as long as it’s not too long between trips,you should still have a charged battery.If you leave it plugged in you should check water level in batteries monthly.
If the gfci or breaker trips on the receptacle while it’s being stored,your battery will probably slowly drain as the CO detector and some other things still draw power all the time.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
dav6662

Thank you all….
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have left the last three trailers plug in to 15 amp while in storage without a problem. You will need to check the water in the batteries once a month to keep them filled.

As to the breaker... nope leave it on

I even leave my fridge on electric between trips. Just don't run the microwave or A/C on 15 amps.

^^^^This is what I do. I use a 50A connector/adaptor that screws into the RV 50A plug and has a 120vac male plug on the other end. That way I'm not tugging a 50A cable all around the storage building. And yes, check those batteries, the water will deplete.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Yes, you can plug into 15 amp with an adapter. And leave the breakers on. And you can run anything in your camper (even the air conditioner), as long as the total AMP draw is not more than 15 amps. If you do turn something on, or a combination of things turned on, and the total amp draw is more than 15 amps, the worst thing that will happen is the 15 amp breaker at shore power will pop off. If that happens, turn something off in the camper, flip the breaker switch back on at shore power, and you are good to go. Next time, turn on only 1 item at a time. Remember, the power converter in your camper is always drawing some power.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Yes, you can plug into 15 amp with an adapter. And leave the breakers on. And you can run anything in your camper (even the air conditioner), as long as the total AMP draw is not more than 15 amps. If you do turn something on, or a combination of things turned on, and the total amp draw is more than 15 amps, the worst thing that will happen is the 15 amp breaker at shore power will pop off. If that happens, turn something off in the camper, flip the breaker switch back on at shore power, and you are good to go. Next time, turn on only 1 item at a time. Remember, the power converter in your camper is always drawing some power.
Or the A/C motor will be damaged by low voltage, but what the hey.... it ran for a while before it didn't 😁
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Or the A/C motor will be damaged by low voltage, but what the hey.... it ran for a while before it didn't 😁

^^^^And there you have it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
dav6662

Thank you all…no need to run the AC while in storage so all good!

Tags
alpine, battery, electrical, storage