Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
RVGator

Stinky Toilet

We have owned our Bullet 243BHS camper now for about 2 years and are very pleased with it. On the last few trips the wife has been complaining about the smell in the bathroom. We use the tank drop ins every time we use it, I flush the black tank until it runs clear each time we use it, so I didn’t think it was coming from the hold. In fact I could put my entire face in the toilet with the valve open and it smelled fine. If I put my face towards the back of the toilet it smelled like raw sewage, and seemed to be getting worse. I researched online and found a few things on line about people having similar problems with Dometic toilets from 2019 and earlier models, even saw a YouTube video of a guy removing his and turning it upside down and sewage poured out of it, so I took it into to camping world. That was mid January after our trip to the Everglades NP. (Which is great in January). I told the service rep at CW that the end result for us was going to be a new toilet, but I would prefer if Dometic pay for it as I see it as their problem. They did a good job and sure enough Dometic shipped them a new toilet and paid for all the labor. They have not come out with an official recall, but CW didn’t receive any push back from them. It took a while as I just received the camper back just in time for our next trip, but it didn’t cost me a penny so not complaining. Apparently the toilet they replaced is a newer model and looks different. Only complaint is that it is still plastic even though I offered to pay for the upgraded portion. But oh well. We are already looking at 5th wheels.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

We had an issue with the internal toilet seal that allowed liquid to bypass a gasket and accumulate liquid between the inner and outer shell. A bore scope though the back of the toilet diagnosed this (also the odor). Dometic acknowledged the issue and described it as human error during the assembly process. It was not every toilet or every day or every week, during production runs, just here and there so nailing down a recall is too difficult and expensive. I think recalls are typically related to only safety issues so it probably wouldn’t qualify for a recall anyway.

When my toilet was replaced, a bigger issue was discovered.....the toilet flange that screws onto the black tank and attaches to the floor was cracked from original assembly of the trailer and this allowed tank “contents” to slosh around moving down the road and leak out into the belly area and also causing the floor to get wet and weaken/rot the floor. The toilet is good but we are in a battle to get the floor replaced now.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet