Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
MD Buck

Warranty service

I have several warranty issues with my 2020 Montana that we received on March 20 this year. We are on the road and not near our purchasing dealer so I contacted Keystone to see what we could do to have work done since our selling dealer told us it wasn't safe to drive the Montana that far back to them to have some of the work done. They responded by giving us the name of a local dealer which we contacted and was told since we didn't buy it there a $150 drop off fee would need to be paid before they could determine whether they could fix it or not. So, I contacted Keystone again and received two more dealerships in the area and one said I could bring the unit in and they would try to work it in during the next month or two. The other dealer said since it wasn't bought there they wouldn't do warranty work.

We are full timers and can't afford the "work in" timeframe and all the dealers seem to be hesitant to do warranty work. I hope this isn't a universal problem with Keystone and it's dealership network.
MD Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The bad news is it's the way just about all RV manufacturers and dealer networks operate. Unfortunately folks relate their experiences with the auto industry and the RV industry is no where near the same. What's the issue with the trailer that it cannot be towed safely? If it's a frame crack issue or suspension issue then I would ask Keystone about getting a mobile tech/welder to do the repair. If Keystone doesn't agree to cover a mobile tech then I'm afraid you have 2 choices, pay out of pocket for a mobile tech or wait.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Marshall is correct. RV dealers aren’t required to work on a unit they didn’t sell. The only exception that I have seen over the years was Tiffen, but even then the dealer could limit it to 3 items.

Out here, every dealer I know of is slammed with work, and looking for qualified techs. It is a National problem and I’m not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
MD Buck

The lower skirting is sliding off as they missed the top of it with the screws and only a slight bit of the skirting is under the molding to hold it up. It actually slipped down about two inches and I pushed it back up under the molding and tightened to screws, but if there is a rough road it will slide down and possible off and hit another vehicle, etc.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Buck View Post
The lower skirting is sliding off as they missed the top of it with the screws and only a slight bit of the skirting is under the molding to hold it up. It actually slipped down about two inches and I pushed it back up under the molding and tightened to screws, but if there is a rough road it will slide down and possible off and hit another vehicle, etc.

MD, I have an old trailer and have fixed a few things as a camper owner. Take a picture of this issue area and perhaps you could be guided into a do-it-yourself repair or you might find a local independent RV tech. It really doesn't sound like it is that big a deal but I could be underestimating the issue without seeing it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Canonman

Depending on where you find yourself at the moment, a mobile tech or RV repair service may be the answer.
Most of these guys will do warranty work (at least around here) and do it quickly. They may require some form of minimum cash payment, but most can contact Keystone and receive authorization to do the necessary repairs.
If the repairs are something you'd like to DIY, then by all means take a photo and send it to the forum. A lot of folks here have done their own repairs and have a wealth of experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0363.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	30227  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
MD Buck

Hopefully the picture uploaded and it is legible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	montana skirting.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	30228  
Old 10-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
MD Buck

After receiving all the responses from dealers, I called Keystone again and told them I had an appointment with a body shop to touch up a scratch and they indicated they could fix it and got an estimate and their reply was to take it to my dealer.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

So I see the lower J wrap coming loose. Is that a molding at the top, and it tucks underneath.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
Canonman

That doesn't look too bad to me. Is it something you'd like to try yourself?

Edit: Chuck is on it. Just listen to him and you'll be OK!
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
Roscommon48

it isn't a big deal but it sounds like chuck can work you through it.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

OP went thru the same thing on my last trailer; they missed all the screws through the molding strip into the J wrap, kept slipping down, flopping and bowing. Due to the the missed screws all along the length one end was attached a little out of line - but both ends of the panel were attached firmly. I pulled it up a few times only to have it fall back down again. I took it to the dealer and I along with a shop tech pulled the transition strip loose for the entire length, pushed the J panel up as hard and tight as it would go then we just pop riveted it in a line that was covered by the molding strip. Fixed it permanently, no more flopping or sliding and couldn't tell we did anything to it. I can tell you slipping it back under the molding then tightening it isn't going to work for very long when you do it. I wouldn't bother with a dealer, get DW help push it up and go to it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #13
MD Buck

I took the moulding off & a couple of us tried to push it up. Even used some boards & jacks & it still wouldn't go up more than a quarter inch under the moulding. Screws still wouldn't catch the j skirt. Local mobile RV tech says the moulding & screws need to be lowered & area repainted.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Did you unscrew the ends where the J wrap goes into the ends (or one end)? That might get it to go up a bit more. If like mine, the molding strip was just a tad high, then they stuck the J wrap up there too short, then attached all the support straps/brackets all along the bottom. I could have done what the tech recommends and removed everything from stem to stern and repositioned the piece parts, and probably repainted, but the rivets (and some sealant) did exactly the same thing and a lot easier (and stronger). I suspect if you look at the end result you will get that you will find the J wrap is barely get up under that strip and the screws will barely get a bite of it anyway. Maybe it will work out better and good luck on it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty