Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
PADuramax

2013 Keystone Cougar back wall warranty?

Hello everyone, so I purchased a one owner Keystone Cougar recently. Upon inspection, I noticed what I would call delamination of the rear wall from the roof line to the bottom.

I went up on the roof and did not notice any issues with the roof or sealing around the edges etc. There's no indication of water leaking inside. The RV was well taken care of overall from what we can tell.

After reading that this could be an issue with 'free floating rear walls" I reached out to Keystone directly and they explained that my camper did not have a free floating wall. They also said that even though the camper is 7 years old, they may still cover a repair? They told me to take it to an authorized Keystone dealer and have them inspect it.

Now I'm slightly pessimistic about their claim of possibly covering it. I called Camping World locally and have an appointment for this Thursday although they said they never heard of Keystone covering anything that old under warranty. I also spoke to another local RV service center who said "unless Keystone is covering the $150 plus for inspection I wouldn't do it".

After reading Keystone's lack of customer service on this forum, I"m wondering if I'm wasting my time and money?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I said I don't see any leaks or evidence of past leaks anywhere inside or out except on the back wall?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	29257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	29258  
PADuramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Northofu1

Good Morning PA,
My back wall looks similar to yours. They are not going to be perfectly smooth like the laminated side walls. I would, and do pay attention to signs of it worsening. Keep checking seals and caulk and as long as it doesn't get worse I think you're good to go.
Good Luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Someone with better eyes may see delamination but I can't see any - I did however make an appt. this morning with an optometrist because......I can't see as well as I used to.

Looking at that and having dealt with Keystone for years I would advise against wasting your money. They aren't going to find or pay for anything and, particularly on a 7 year old trailer (they like to refuse warranty at 13 mos.), you will be out the 1 hour minimum at the dealership. I would just do what Northofu1 suggested.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

First welcome to the forum.

Whomever told you that Keystone "might cover that under warranty" was smoking something. Warranty coverage on a second owner 7 yr old trailer? In your dreams. That is a "hung rear wall", it is not laminated. They all "buckle" from day one. They are only secured around the perimeter, around the window, and where the ladder and lights are screwed in. So as the wall heats up the unsecured areas buckle when it expands. The older it gets the more it will deform.

Any water intrusion in the rear wall will accentuate the buckling. Your last line says " don't see any leaks or evidence of past leaks anywhere inside or out except on the back wall?" So you do have a water leak?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
PADuramax

Thanks everyone, Flybouy, I should have clarified, I don't see any evidence of water intrusion, the only issue seemed to be the back wall buckling, where I could push it in and it would pop back out (resembles delamination I guess). I agree, I had read in several areas about the pre hung walls having issues and buckling. The gal at keystone took my vin number and came back stating that it wasn't pre-hung and then suggested having it checked.

Think I'll stick with what you all had mentioned and just enjoy it without spending the money.
PADuramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

My trailer see it listed below, is a free floating wall and when it is pushed in it bounces back. Sounds like yours is doing what the they do. Try the front betting is does the same, maybe not as much.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADuramax View Post
Thanks everyone, Flybouy, I should have clarified, I don't see any evidence of water intrusion, the only issue seemed to be the back wall buckling, where I could push it in and it would pop back out (resembles delamination I guess). I agree, I had read in several areas about the pre hung walls having issues and buckling. The gal at keystone took my vin number and came back stating that it wasn't pre-hung and then suggested having it checked.

Think I'll stick with what you all had mentioned and just enjoy it without spending the money.
BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MONEY, take a trip to any dealership that has a similar Cougar on the lot. Walk to the back wall and inspect it. I'm positive that you'll find the rear wall on that one to be very similar to yours. If you're still in doubt after that, start looking for Cougars parked in WalMart lots, at dealerships, in driveways, in rest areas and do a "100 unit inspection" on the first 100 Cougars you find. I'm also positive that every one of them will look similar to your rear wall....

In other words, what you're seeing on your 2013 Cougar looks EXACTLY like my 2014 Cougar......

There's nothing wrong with your trailer. Keep your money in your pocket and cancel that "dealer service inspection"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
Mogal

I just picked up a 2014 19FBPR unit with the back wall bulging out as well.
Doesn't seem to be an issue.

The inside wall is very rigid (as compared to the outside wall)
Has anyone considered putting a couple carriage bolts right through the
two walls? Just snug them up enough pull the outside wall in some and to carry some of the sagging weight.
It would still be allowed to move but not sag (as badly)

I was thinking 4 of them, kinda evenly spaced out in the center of the wall.

Thoughts?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back wall .jpg
Views:	260
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	29416  
Mogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
ewbldavis

adding bolts may only create leak point.

Rear wall looks ok to me. I'd inspect all sealant and really take a good look at lights too - especially one seems to have been replaced?

I've seen a couple Cougars with rear walls that sort of look like delam, but it's just the construction. Sides are all aluminum, but the rear wall/roof is wood framed...might bulge since it is hung/glued on wood frame, not laminated like the sides.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogal View Post
I just picked up a 2014 19FBPR unit with the back wall bulging out as well.
Doesn't seem to be an issue.

The inside wall is very rigid (as compared to the outside wall)
Has anyone considered putting a couple carriage bolts right through the
two walls? Just snug them up enough pull the outside wall in some and to carry some of the sagging weight.
It would still be allowed to move but not sag (as badly)

I was thinking 4 of them, kinda evenly spaced out in the center of the wall.

Thoughts?!
Hi Mogal and welcome.
Could you post a few pictures so we can see what your dealing with. You also might want to check out some more trailers in the same make and model, to get an idea how bad or the same they are to yours.
I had a 2015 Bullet and it was loose, but nothing wrong with it.
Thanks

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
Mogal

Here are some pics...

If you push on the wall, that top silicon bead under the trim will shift about 1/8". Not sure what holds the wall up, or how deep it goes under the trim work.

I'm afraid if I keep putting sealant on it, it would start to build up and then funnel the water in, instead of keeping it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	29520   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_185303.png
Views:	267
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	29521   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_185252.png
Views:	192
Size:	1,009.0 KB
ID:	29522  
Mogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
soaz2

Our 2011 Bullet, front and back, delam as well

both are pretty bad. Research is telling us the the unicore backing is the issue. We've contacted a dealer that claims that after 40 years, they don't use unicore any more, but instead adhere the filon to a plastic type substance (bendable) substrate called PWP. They send the assembled panel to us, curved and all, for us to put on. Anyone heard of this? One question I have, which I will ask them, is how is the panel fastened to the (2x2?) wall.
soaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone, warranty