Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Roka30

KeyTV and Trav’ler Satellite

I’m planning to install the Trav’ler Satellite system, but wanted to check for advice/recommendations from those who have installed this product. How well does it work with KeyTV? Any additional equipment needed to get 3 receivers working, or do you just wire from satellite to the KeyTV input in the hookup bay? Also any “watch out for this” advise? Thanks in advance everyone!
Roka30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Based on comments over the past year or two, not many people have a lot of luck with KeyTV regardless of how it is used. I hope you have considered using the Traveler will keep you parking where there is no shade from trees... Here in Texas that means HOT.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Carl n Susan

The Key TV system was designed for a Traveler and Hopper/Genie receivers. You should be fine if you have one of those (other than the not infrequent failures of the Key TV device)
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If your thinking of installing the Travler for HD reception, you might want to look into these portable.

https://winegard.com/products/satell...table-antennas

I like the idea of parking in the shade and not having to look for a site with a clear view. I have had my carry out for over 12 years and I just move it where it need to be to enjoy TV. I carry a SD receiver so I don’t need one of these new ones for HD. I have installed the Trav’ler system on lots of trailers and IMO it’s not needed anymore.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Roka30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your thinking of installing the Travler for HD reception, you might want to look into these portable.

https://winegard.com/products/satell...table-antennas

I like the idea of parking in the shade and not having to look for a site with a clear view. I have had my carry out for over 12 years and I just move it where it need to be to enjoy TV. I carry a SD receiver so I don’t need one of these new ones for HD. I have installed the Trav’ler system on lots of trailers and IMO it’s not needed anymore.
Thanks! I have a playmaker and have had nothing but trouble with it. Clear view of sky...no satellites. Just frustrating so that’s why I want to upgrade to Trav’ler.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

When I was looking, I was told the playmaker was not worth it. I have had ZERO issues with my carryout. If I was going to HD reception I would stay with the carryout. JMHO, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Roka30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When I was looking, I was told the playmaker was not worth it. I have had ZERO issues with my carryout. If I was going to HD reception I would stay with the carryout. JMHO, YMMV.
Thanks for the info/recommendation!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Your very welcome. Let us know what route you take.

Tags
satellite