Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
RVclaimed

Electrical Craziness HELP!

Hey guys! New to forum.

My wife & I just bought a 2015 Bullet Premier 30RIPR. Love it!! We installed a 30 amp outlet at home and plugged in Thursday night. Everything worked as advertised.

Ran AC, checked all outlets, lights, fridge and everything worked great...until last night (Friday night). We went out to check on a few things and NO overhead lights were working (except for couch and dinette) and the AC was not working. ALL OUTLETS STILL WORK, including microwave.

I checked shore power, no issues. Checked breakers and fuses at interior panel, no apparent issues. I measured power on Main line to Main breaker.

I AM EXASPERATED. I don’t know what else to check. HELP! Lol. Seriously, I am praying someone in this forum has some idea what could be wrong. Thanks in advance for your help. Blessings.
RVclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have nothing 12V working then I would be looking at the converter and battery. Use a Volt/Ohm meter at the battery and make sure you have at least 13+ VDC. If not then its time to find the converter and check it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm guessing this might have happened:

You just installed the 30 amp outlet, so the trailer has been in storage without power (probably with the battery disconnected to prevent discharge) ???

So, when you had the outlet installed, you reconnected the battery and plugged the trailer into the outlet ????

A couple days later, no 12 volt power ????

My guess: When you reconnected the battery, you touched the + cable to the - terminal on the battery "accidentally"... That "instantly blew the reverse polarity fuses that protect the converter". Once the battery was connected and everything working properly, you walked away, satisfied that it was "all good"...

Now for my guess: The converter, with blown reverse polarity fuses, is disconnected from the 12 volt electrical system, and as soon as the battery discharged, everything on the 12 volt side of your trailer electrical system stopped working....

Look on the power center panel, just to the left of your "vertical row of DC fuses" you'll find two red 40 amp fuses. Check them, they may be the reason "nothing battery powered is operating"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
RVclaimed

Mystery solved!

Thank you guys for your quick response!

It was indeed a bad converter box. My fault as I wired 30 amp receptacle wrong. Realized it, wired it correctly and a friend had a new converter box. It was about a 25 minute fix and we are now good to go.

Thank you again and Happy Camping!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal!! Glad your up and running, get out and use it as soon as you can. Since you realized your mistake, now is a good time to think about buying an EMS (energy management system) often times called a surge protector. They are not the same thing. An EMS will tell you if the receptacle your about to plug your trailer into is proper. It also protects against under and over voltage spikes.

Portable or “hard wired” but I suggest you don’t leave home without it. I have a hard wired with remote display by Progressive Industries.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^x2 on what Chuckster said. What happened to you would not have happened with an EMS and it would have told you what was wrong. Don't leave home without it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
notanlines

Yep, what ^^^^they said! And if it is any consolation, many people with much experience have wired both 30 amp and 50 amp outlets incorrectly.
Back when I was 30 or so and certainly knew all there was to know about residential electricity I learned right quick what a 200 watt globe bulb sounds like when 240 volts is sent to it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Portable or “hard wired” but I suggest you don’t leave home without it. I have a hard wired with remote display by Progressive Industries.
I highly recommend the same thing.

One tip: put the display somewhere where it won't be in your field of vision during daily life in the rig, especially not when you're facing the TV. It's really bright, blinks nonstop, and is really distracting!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yep, what ^^^^they said! And if it is any consolation, many people with much experience have wired both 30 amp and 50 amp outlets incorrectly.
Back when I was 30 or so and certainly knew all there was to know about residential electricity I learned right quick what a 200 watt globe bulb sounds like when 240 volts is sent to it.
Ooh, Ooh, Mista Kotter....I know the ansa to that one....."Go ahead Horshack!"
The light got really, really bright.....but it didn't last very long!

Hopefully there are at least a few of us old enough to remember "Welcome back Kotter"!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I highly recommend the same thing.

One tip: put the display somewhere where it won't be in your field of vision during daily life in the rig, especially not when you're facing the TV. It's really bright, blinks nonstop, and is really distracting!
Agreed. You can get a hardwired unit by progressive industries without a remote display. This is what I have. I don’t need to see the display unless there is a problem. If there is a problem, it’s easy to get to where I mounted the unit and see what is happening. It’s also cheaper without the remote display.

I’m happy to hear you got it sorted out.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:52 AM   #11
WNY Bullet

Welcome to the forum RVclaimed!

I'm glad you got it worked out and I also highly recommend a EMS system. I started out with a portable unit I would install at the post, but soon ungraded to a hardwired system.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #12
notanlines

Vernon, let 'em laugh if they want to. Principal Woodman will be lording over Kotter and his would be hoodlums at 9:00 this morning on Laff TV. Yep, we'll be there.
I know my dad is looking down right now, shaking his head and asking "Where did I go wrong?"
Back to your regularly scheduled programing...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
RVclaimed

Re: EMS System

You guys are awesome. How can I not get a hardwired EMS system now. I will invest in one quickly as we plan to hit the road at least 100 days per year. Thank you!!!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:16 AM   #14
Pigman~1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

If the rated capacity of the battery is 1300mAh, that is, the current of 130mA discharges the battery, then the battery can continue to work for 10 hours (1300mAh/130mA=10h); if the discharge current is 1300mA, the power supply time is only about 1 hour (actual working time There are some differences due to individual differences in the actual capacity of the battery).
Pigman~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:23 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman~1 View Post
If the rated capacity of the battery is 1300mAh, that is, the current of 130mA discharges the battery, then the battery can continue to work for 10 hours (1300mAh/130mA=10h); if the discharge current is 1300mA, the power supply time is only about 1 hour (actual working time There are some differences due to individual differences in the actual capacity of the battery).
The battery in the link you provided is not suitable for an RV. Batteries for RV use are typically 95 ah deep cycle at a min.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical