Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
BookPaul74

Slide Out Topper Awnings

Just a question but does anybody know if the gutters above the slides are designed for the topper awning to fit/slide into or do you have to put a new track on the trailer?

Not sure I want to put them on but just curious. I had them on a previous fifth wheel and they would really flap in the wind and I had to replace them twice from age and wind damage.

2014 Cougar 337fls
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on what the factory installed. I’ve seen drip rails with the awning track.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
mikec557

We had drip rails with the awning slot for the topper fabric. When I had Shade Pro install a topper while at Quartzsite, the installer wouldn't use the OEM rail. Instead he mounted a new fabric rail right below it. He didn't say this clearly but he intimated they didn't want the liability of using the OEM rail because it is also responsible for holding down your rooftop rubberish material. Imagine the force of those heavy winds you've already experienced with your other toppers pulling on the rail that holds your roof material...
mikec557 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Our 2014 Cougar XLite has "drip rails" over each slide. There are no awning cover attachments on the OEM drip rails on my trailer. When I installed my slide covers, I installed the awning rails on the main slide under the attached factory drip rail. On the bedroom slide, there wasn't enough room to install the awning rail and maintain a slope, so I removed the factory drip rail, installed the awning rail in its location and then reinstalled the OEM drip rail above the awning rail.

So, I have both the OEM drip rail and the awning attachment rail for the slide cover attached above each of my slides. There are a few types of aluminum moldings that combine both functions, but on my 2014, Keystone didn't use that type molding. I have seen the "dual molding" used on more recent trailers, but I haven't seen it used on older trailers built before about 2016 or so.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #5
BookPaul74

Thanks for the replies.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
Old 01-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Rambo

My Montana had the topper rails preinstalled over the slides. It made it Much easier. On my keystone I installed the new rail right under the one that sealed the roof.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
BookPaul74

Thanks. I’m not sure if I want to install them or not.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area

Tags
slide, awning, slide out