Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
Jay D

Dumping

Hello all,
my family and I normally go out on the weekends. I would keep the black and gray valves closed until the panel would read full. In a few weeks we will be camping for 10 days. Should I still keep them closed or crack the valves and let them drip out? Would like any one's thoughts on this. Thank you, Jay
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
badge4

Based on my limited experience I would not let it trickle as that could lead to potential blockage.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
Flyguy

I leave the grey open and the black closed. Then when the black is nearing full I close the grey to let it build up. When the black is full I dump it followed by the grey to wash the hose out and leave the grey open again. Works for us.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
hankaye

Jay D, Howdy;

FlyGuy has a pretty good handle on it.
I Fulltime in mine and leave the kitchen open, the shower/lavey closed and the black closed.
When the black needs dumped I close the kitchen and dump the black rinse it out (I'll close the valve and allow the water level to fill up by several gallons then re-open the valve), several times, followed by the shower/lavey. Then I'll re-set the valves.

The tanks are designed to dump by having gravity and the volume "Pull" itself out. Unlike your S&B commode that works by keeping it in a confined area (the pipe), all of the force of the flush is lost when it hits the tank instant
DE-cellaration (sp?). S P L A T loss of motion = build-up - yuck.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Jay D

Thank you everyone for your post. When we head out for the week I will definitely be leaving them closed. Don't want any back-ups per say. Again thanks for the comments.
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
therink

X2 what everyone said.
Also, last summer while at a CG, I left grey valve open. We kept smelling septic odors in the campsite. We determined that the gasses were coming up from the ground pipe, into my empty grey tank, then out the grey tank on the roof. Once I closed my grey tank valve, thjje odor went away.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote