Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
LeeMedic

Thumbs down Good Sam RV Insurance

We just insured our Sprinter with Good Sam/GMAC. Although it is $100 a year more than USAA, I liked what they had to say. (It is $380 a year for my 35 foot Sprinter 300kbs)

Any repairs made to the trailer, they will use original parts, no after-market stuff.

If the trailer is totaled in an accident, for the first 5 years of ownership, they will replace it with a new one comparable to the one I have now.

If any time after 5-unlimited years it is totaled, they will write me a check for the same value I paid when I purchased the trailer.

Has anyone here had any experience with Good Sam/GMAC RV insurance?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Thumbs up

LeeMedic, I have had auto/rv insurance through Good Sam for many years. They understand the RV life-style. With GMAC it is very easy to suspend parts of your coverage when your trailer is stored on your property and not being used. Just a phone call off and then back on again. Some parts of coverage come under Homeowners insurance while stored. If you store your trailer at home this will save $$$. As for myself, GMAC no longer writes polices in NJ so we are covered by High Point. Same coverage but not as easy to deal with on the RV part of policy. Knowing that the trailer is still covered when unhitched and that accessories like awnings etc. are covered helps me enjoy camping even more. So, I guess you can say I would give Good Sam/GMAC a thumbs up.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

i just recived stuff in the mail for good sam, and was wondering the same thing too.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
The Sod Father

We have our coverage with Progressive. Like Good Sam/GMAC, it is an RV specific policy. I had two claims with them and both were taken care of immediately and to my satisfaction.

When looking at RV coverage, it is imperative to get an RV specific policy and not a rider on your auto. As noted above, the RV policy offers total loss replacement / purchase price coverage. Other things to look for include -

Campsite Liability coverage - Your son's best friend is camping with you. He trips over your white hose and breaks his arm. His parents decide to sue you. Campsite Liability coverage will protect you.
Personal Contents -If someone breaks into your trailer (or uses the universal key for the front storage trunk) and steals your stuff, you contents are covered. Some homeowners policies will cover personal contents but BE AWARE - if your personal contents are damaged in a collision, a homeowners policy will not cover your contents. Homeowners policies cover personal contents due to fire, flood, theft, etc. Not a collision. Houses do not normally collide, except in Kansas.
Emergency Expenses -You are 5 hours from home and about to start your week long vacation that you have been planning for months. 10 miles from the campground, a Kenworth rear ends your Sprinter destroying your camper and rendering your tow vehicle un-drivable. What now? Emergency expenses will pay for transportation and lodging, so you can still enjoy your vacation.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
gepaine

LeeMedic,

Why the thumbs down icon on your post? It doesn't seem to go with what you wrote.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
gepaine

This thread caused me to review my insurance coverage. (Always a good idea to do periodically. Up until now, I just tossed the Good Sam insurance mailings in the garbage.) I was mainly concerned about coverage of our personal property carried in our trailer. I have PEMCO insurance and it costs us $130 per year to cover our 2011 24-foot Cougar TT on our auto policy. All of our personal property in the TT is covered by our home owners policy which I also have thru PEMCO. I got a Good Sam quote and they wanted $440 per year just to cover our TT. (If I wanted full replacement cost, it would be $616 per year.)

For the cost difference, I am going to stick with PEMCO and go back to trashing the Good Sam mailings.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
Past Trailer:
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
I got a Good Sam quote and they wanted $440 per year just to cover our TT. (If I wanted full replacement cost, it would be $616 per year.)
Full coverage on my Bullet Premier, including full replacement, is around $250 with Progressive. As you said, it pays to shop. I would also suggest GEICO. Their RV product is about on par with the coverage offered by Progressive.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
LeeMedic,

Why the thumbs down icon on your post? It doesn't seem to go with what you wrote.
I pushed the wrong thing. My bad! I put myself in the timeout corner for 20 minutes after I saw what I did.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
The Sod Father

I'm glad I'm not the only adult who uses the phrase - "my bad". Life with teens is always a learning experience.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
I pushed the wrong thing. My bad! I put myself in the timeout corner for 20 minutes after I saw what I did.
My "Time Out Corner" Has a well stocked cooler so I will take the blame for anything any time.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
dave-g

. Some parts of coverage come under Homeowners insurance while stored. If you store your trailer at home this will save $$$. As for myself, GMAC no longer writes polices in NJ so we are covered by High Point. Same coverage but not as easy to deal with on the RV part of policy. Knowing that the trailer is still covered when unhitched and that accessories like awnings etc. are covered helps me enjoy camping even more. So, I guess you can say I would give Good Sam/GMAC a thumbs up.[/QUOTE]

NEVER!!!! Use your home owners insurance to cover your camper unless you have a rider on your police to cover it. Had a tree do $2500 of damage to my old pop up, home owners policy only has "standard $500" coverage. a big loss for me.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
gepaine

Homeowners or Auto Policy?

Regarding dave-g's warning to "NEVER!!" use homeowners to cover your camper without a rider, I think the damage he cites would be covered under an auto policy as long as the camper was listed as a covered vehicle, and there would not be a $500 limit. Homeowners (in my case) covers the contents of my rv up to the policy's stated limit for personal property. In my case, 100's of thousands of dollars. (50% of the coverage on the house.) My advice is to protect against camper damage and liability via your auto policy, and to protect the camper contents via your homeowners policy - and no "rider" needed (in my case.)

2007 Cadillac Escalade
Past Trailer:
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
. Some parts of coverage come under Homeowners insurance while stored. If you store your trailer at home this will save $$$. As for myself, GMAC no longer writes polices in NJ so we are covered by High Point. Same coverage but not as easy to deal with on the RV part of policy. Knowing that the trailer is still covered when unhitched and that accessories like awnings etc. are covered helps me enjoy camping even more. So, I guess you can say I would give Good Sam/GMAC a thumbs up.
NEVER!!!! Use your home owners insurance to cover your camper unless you have a rider on your police to cover it. Had a tree do $2500 of damage to my old pop up, home owners policy only has "standard $500" coverage. a big loss for me.[/QUOTE]

While stored on my property liability is covered under homeowners policy. I still carry "fire-theft and comprehensive" for that period and collision is not needed. When hitched to the TV liability is assumed by the TV. While camping and unhitched from TV. (this is the major difference between RV and regular auto insurance ) The trailer has it's own liability coverage so if a guest falls down my steps or someone walks into my pin-box I'm covered. ....... Unless you have a personal umbrella policy for liability this could be very important especially to full-timers . (No homeowners policy) JM2˘, Hank
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #14
Bruins#17

I am an insurance agent and researched the many RV products out there. I decided on GMAC for the full replacement coverage. For the first 5 years, in the event of a total loss, they will replace the unit with a brand new one and after year five, they will pay me what I paid for the unit without depreciation. I could not find anything else that compared to this feature!! I have a 2012 Keystone Laredo 303tg - total premium $264 per year!! Another benefit is if I insure my tow vehicle on the same policy and something happens to the truck and the trailer, only one deductible will apply.
Bruins#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
antiqfreq

I have the same coverage at Bruins @17 with RV Explorer out of Ohio.
I have been with them about 4 years now.

Our premium is about $250 also.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
smiller

I have GMAC for my RV and family cars and unfortunately just had occasion to test their claims process (wife was in a fender bender) which was cooperative and fast, no complaints whatsoever. Now I just get to wait and see if my rate goes up...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
rtrt94

Question GMAC info

Went online got a quote then a call from rep. Sounds like good deal but i asked for insurance literature or handouts they say they dont have any! Is this true? We pay then see fine print?

Anyone out there help me
rtrt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
The Sod Father

Good Sam sells GMAC coverage. Try their site. I would also suggest comparing coverage and price with Progressive and GEICO.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrt94 View Post
Went online got a quote then a call from rep. Sounds like good deal but i asked for insurance literature or handouts they say they dont have any! Is this true? We pay then see fine print?

Anyone out there help me
That's odd. Good Sam is known for sending more literature than you could possibly read. Their web page should give most of the info you need. Travel safely and hope you don't need it, Hank ..... In NJ it is written by Plymouth Rock (High Point) not GMAC

Tags
gmac, good sam, insurance