Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
robo

Need advise about service issue

Went to the dealer today to get status on are warranty repairs. Dound the invoice was complete but service advisior was not in and no other info was available thought ok service rep left message to call me when he got in.

When leave i got a odd feeling so i went for a walk to check out the rig. Amazed when i walked up on it the doors where unlocked and keys actualy hanging in lock. I secured it and checked it out found non of the warranty work had been done.
I went back inside asked for a manager. And spoke with service mgr stated my conserns and that i was Pissed to say the least that my rig was unlocked and just siiting out there with keys in it.
How to proceedis the question
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

One screw-up doesn't mean a bad dealer but I would have to keep a close eye on their work from now on. If several techs are working on it, that may be their policy to leave the keys and last man out lock it. I think you should go as high up on the food chain at that dealer as you can and point out your concern. You probably signed a release on the work order for their liability but point out that leaving the keys in the door is negligence and that they are liable for. Be calm and don't burn any bridges that you may regret when you need service in the future. Good luck and let us know what happens, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Steve S

I don't understand what the issue is about with the service department leaving the keys in the door? You brought it in for service right? I can't exactly see a service tech carrying the keys to every unit that's there for service in his pocket.
I personally think you're over thinking things!
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
robo

O ok i thought units are suppose to be secured. It is sitting out on the lot with all the other rvs and if i am not mistaken i am responsible for all the missing items correct. My point is the rv does not sit at my own residence unlocked. I would exspect the same at the dealer
By the way the keys have been hanging there so long they are oxidized and rust forming on the tip from the rings dripping water off them
Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
jsmith948

I think the reality is that the service people don't care. Most (maybe all?) of the dealers have a policy that they are not responsible for items left in the unit. When I took our trailer in for warranty work on one of the slides, I removed everything from the trailer. A real drag, but, I didn't lose anything either. Shouldn't be that way - in my perfect world, I wouldn't need locks on ANYTHING!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

From your description, it sounds like the keys have been sitting in the door for quite some time and that's not right. But, there are some complicating factors that you need to consider before you push the buttons.

1. The service manager, sales manager and general manager probably have coffee together every morning and talk about whose kid did what yesterday as well as talk about how to best run the business. In other words, they are "very good friends". Trying to drive a wedge between them by going to the general manager and attacking the service manager rather than a problem with his department will probably put you in a "you won't believe what this jackass did" category. You won't get any benefit from being put in that group. So, choose your battles carefully, use the right wording when you complain, keep it about the issue, not the person.

2. The bigger issue, I think, is not that the keys were left in the door and the RV unlocked, but that the work order has been completed, shows all the work finished and yet, you say, that nothing has been done inside your RV. None of us know what kind of work was needed, whether it was a simple "20 minutes and it's all done" kind of work order or if it was an extensive list that would take "days to finish". If it's a simple work order, they may have done the paperwork before lunch and had plans to head out to button it up in the early afternoon and had something come up. That sounds reasonable, maybe not the way your or I would do the work order, but reasonable. On the other hand, if the work order was for extensive repairs and nothing had been done, it's conceivable that they thought someone had done the work and nobody had inspected the job to make sure it was done right. If that's the situation, they may well have a technician who isn't doing his job and they need to know who and fix that problem. But it's not your responsibility to "find the person". You are essentially limited to "defining the problem with your RV" and letting them handle their internal issues. I didn't say, "handle their problem" because it might not be a problem, rather just a situation that shouldn't have occurred.

3. Burning bridges, either with the GM or with the service manager won't do your future service needs any good. There appears to be, from "YOUR SIDE OF THE STORY" an issue. To really be objective, anyone needs to also consider, "THEIR SIDE OF THE STORY". That part of this issue hasn't yet been addressed here, and until you discuss it calmly and objectively with the service manager/general manager, listen to how they do business and find out what happened from their perspective, you probably won't get the issues resolved, every time you go in there "Pissed" (to use your terminology), things are probably going to just get more tense. Try to take yourself out of the "ownership" role to be a little more objective. Maybe if you "pretend" that it's a neighbor's RV and you're going to talk to the dealership about "HIS" problems, not "YOUR" problems, you can detach the emotion just enough to keep it about the RV and "THE SERVICE ISSUE" not about "YOU" and "YOUR DISAPPOINTMENT" with how things were done.

I think the main issue here should be about getting the RV repaired and back in your possession. Focus on that as your goal and let the dealership handle how they address their internal problems. Don't try to run their business. Approach this by simply getting your RV repaired and back to you safely. And, next time you take it into the dealership, hopefully you'll still be in the "valued customer" category, not in the "here comes that jackass" group.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I think the reality is that the service people don't care. Most (maybe all?) of the dealers have a policy that they are not responsible for items left in the unit. When I took our trailer in for warranty work on one of the slides, I removed everything from the trailer. A real drag, but, I didn't lose anything either. Shouldn't be that way - in my perfect world, I wouldn't need locks on ANYTHING!
The reality of "PEOPLE" is that not everyone can be trusted. That's just the world we live in today and it goes far beyond "the service people". I wouldn't leave a roll of hundred dollar bills in the glove compartment and loan my truck to my best friend either..... remember, "Prudence is a virtue" and don't put temptation on the table. I would have removed anything of "real value" also.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
mguay

Hank and John summed it up best IMO. I've learned that things have changed since the economy hit the tank. It used to be that the squeakiest wheel needed the grease. Now the squeakiest is left to fall of and never be seen again.
If you go in with guns blazing....most of the time you will get guns blazing back!

Another thought! Maybe the warranty work required prior approval and the dealers procedure in that situation is to finalize the paper work to make sure they get paid? Maybe the tech was actually working on your unit and went to lunch or break. Maybe they got called out to speak to another customer or got jumped to another job while customer B was waiting.

Bottom line is to be Cool Calm and Collective and you will come out on top.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Brantlaker

In New York State there are Balment Laws stating that any thing that you leave with a repair shop of any kind they are responsible for it. The Customer has to prove that the damage, breakage or any thing missing occurred at the place of repair. Talk to the Service Manager and ask him what the policy is with regard to RV Keys. As to why the repair was not done he as a Manager would like to know why so that he can correct the problem in the shop. BUT you have to talk like a gentleman to him. The Job is a tough one he only hears complaints all day. 35 years on that type of job and I haven't had headache since I retired.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Steve S

I wouldn't have a problem leaving my TT with the dealer knowing that the doors would be unlocked during business hours as they have a job to do and I trust them. I wouldn't take anything out either as I would just have to put all back in again.
Where I live I don't lock my doors nor do I take the keys out of my vehicles. If someone needs my truck they'll come ask if they can borrow it, there's no need to steal it.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I wouldn't have a problem leaving my TT with the dealer knowing that the doors would be unlocked during business hours as they have a job to do and I trust them. I wouldn't take anything out either as I would just have to put all back in again.
Where I live I don't lock my doors nor do I take the keys out of my vehicles. If someone needs my truck they'll come ask if they can borrow it, there's no need to steal it.
Wow! I'm having flashbacks of the way things were in my youth. Now if I leave my truck unlocked with the keys in it, I can be sued by the person (and I use that term loosely) sealing it for creating the temptation to do it. Big dogs are the only alarm systems that thieves pay attention too these days.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Same as Steve we don't lock our doors and I leave the keys in the ignition of my truck. I have had friends leave their rig and drive off with mine when it fits the task they have better. Sooner or later it ends up back at the house.
Small town living...

When we travel to out of state areas I exersize more caution though.
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
Javi

Around here you can't leave a lawnmower in the front yard to go inside for a drink of water anymore, it will disappear in a moment. In fact I get rid of big stuff that way... just set it outside like you're going to load it in the pickup and it's gone in a matter of minutes amid a screech of wheels and a couple of thuds...

As to locking the trailer while in the shop... the two big repair/dealers around here do not lock the trailer doors while on the lot. One of them even tells you it ain't gonna happen, if you don't want to lose it.... take it with you.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Around here you can't leave a lawnmower in the front yard to go inside for a drink of water anymore, it will disappear in a moment. In fact I get rid of big stuff that way... just set it outside like you're going to load it in the pickup and it's gone in a matter of minutes amid a screech of wheels and a couple of thuds...

As to locking the trailer while in the shop... the two big repair/dealers around here do not lock the trailer doors while on the lot. One of them even tells you it ain't gonna happen, if you don't want to lose it.... take it with you.
CW in Houghton Lake does much the same. They instruct customers at checkin to leave the dead bolt unlocked and each technician has a master key to unlock the RV when they start work in the morning. It's left unlocked through the day and the last technician in the evening locks all the RV's on the lot before closing.

The service area is fenced and separated from the sales lot so customers "should not" be roaming around the service area. There are signs every few feet saying "keep out" but anyone who ignores the signs or who can't read could walk into a private RV looking around.

I've never had anything come up missing there, but the RV's aren't always locked even if nobody is around.

The dealership I bought the Cougar from uses a different "system". They are a smaller dealership and work on only one or two RV's at a time. They unlock the one they're working on, all the rest remain locked. When they leave it, even for a break, they lock it. So essentially, if they're in it, it's unlocked, if they leave it, they lock it. At this dealership, the service area and the sales area are essentially the same, there's no "dividing line" to keep customers from walking around the RV's that are in for service.

I like knowing it's locked or someone is in it, but I never had a problem with the system at CW either.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
robo

At a lose for words still without the camper lol. I lock the camper up even in my yard lol
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Robo, tell us what is the warranty work, and what the manager told you about the keys and repair and why so long. What I have done regarding parts etc. needed and not at the lot, I just bring the RV back home and have them phone me when the work can be done and then take it back for the repair. I know that my driveway is a safer place against damage, theft than a dealers lot. I would expect keys left in it during the day if it's being worked on but, at night noway.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
robo

Well picked up on saturday jan 18 3-1/2 months of waiting around. Just upset at the fact my main complaint was leaving it unlocked. Guess what it was unlocked when it was dropped off out front. It was not in the shop i watched them pull it up from the back of the lot. What is wrong with people.
When replacing the door on cabinet in back room they had to remove the back slide y i have noIdea but they jacked up the cables and pulley system so had to be replaced. The facia/trim piece replaced in front slide and cable. Kitchen cabinet door finally the outdoor kitchen countertop. When i opened the unlocked door and pulled out step on front the cross support was broke so it had to go back in for them to weld it up. Sent an email of concern/complaint to keystone and camping world corp . I would not recomend this location at all.
Sorry bout the petty complaining but this cost more than my repo house i bought.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
robo

WaY to go keystone

Well camping world must be tayloring a very special response as i have yet to hear it keystone noted my vin with possible issues when i pull it out and prep for the season. They stated they would assist with geting the issues resolved if any at that time

Way to go keystone for stepping up
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #19
robo

And today i received a letter as a followup from cw to rectify the issues