Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
geo

Post Alpine Axle Recall

There is currently a recall on Alpines built in the last-half summer months because of defective axles. Though there are just a few of us with Alpines on this forum, if your Alpine was build after Keystone's summer holiday (first two weeks of July), better check with your dealer.
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
antiqfreq

Thanks for the info for our forum members.

I am guessing you got a letter from Keystone advising you of this recall?

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
fshindle

Information

So what kind of axles are these, Alco?

I would think this would apply to more than Alpine models.
Just curious as this is what I am battling on a Hideout model.
fshindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
geo

Question Alpine axle recall????

Jo - As you know, I am having my issues with the Alpine, so I checked the Customer Service webpage on the Keystone Website to see if any of my issues had escalated. There it was, on Monday, October 4, an Alpine Axle Recall. It stated that the recall was for those fivers manufactured from mid-July to late August. Luckily - or unlucky as the case may be - our Alpine was completed before the two week work break Keystone practices every summer for all employees around July 4th. So, this would probably be a shipment of axles received during their break. So, in response to fshindle's inquiry, I just logged back in to the Keystone Website Customer Service to get the axle specs to post. Guess what! That recall isn't posted any more! OK, Keystone, is there a recall or not? The original recall notice on the website on October 4 mentioned cracks developing in the axle near the ends of the axle. That's about all I can remember.

So I've been wondering now, how many of my problems are caused by the building of the fiver right before their break? Loose water connections, pipes not sealed, fresh water fill hoses stretched and pinched . . . Maybe the lesson learned should be never buy a Keystone RV that was built in late June!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
mikell

I'm at work and just found this forum . Where do you find the build date so I can have a look when I get home.

Thanks

Mike

2010 3640RL
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
geo

Alpine recall build dates

Mikell -

I would think that the build date might be coded into the VIN, but looking at mine and knowing when it was built - I can't figure it out. I can say this, DW and I shopped for a 5er for 6 years before learning that Keystone was phasing out the Everest and introducing the Alpine in September, 2009. The Alpine sounded like the best fit for what we wanted in a 5er. We called, searched, etc., for a dealer in Texas and Oklahoma that had an Alpine. It wasn't until late November that we learned Lewis RV in OKC had two Alpines delivered (one a 3640RL). We visited Lewis RV and looked at these Alpines on Wednesday, November 25, 2009. We wanted certain factory installed options, so we ordered our Alpine from Lewis on May 8, 2010 and at that time, we expected to get a 2010 model. It was around June 15 or so when we learned that Keystone had started building the 2011 models. So, from a guess, I would say your Alpine was probably built between September, 2009 and early June, 2010.

I'll try to send you a Private Message (PM) either later today or this weekend. I'm interested if you have had any of the same problems I have.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
geo

2011 Keystone RV Axle Recall

I signed up for the recall notices on Good Sam and received the following:

2011 Keystone Alpine Axle Assembly Recall
Potential number of units affected: 322

KEYSTONE IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2011 ALPINE, AVALANCHE, FUZION, LAREDO, MONTANA, AND MOUNTAINEER FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 19, 2010 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 1, 2010, EQUIPPED WITH DEXTER AXLES. ON SOME AXLES, CRACKS COULD APPEAR IN THE SPINDLE WELD.

THESE CRACKS CAN PROPAGATE AND CAUSE THE SPINDLE TO DETACH FROM THE AXLE TUBE, RESULTING IN THE SEPARATION OF THE WHEEL END FROM THE VEHICLE, CREATING A ROAD HAZARD THAT INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH TO OTHER VEHICLES, AND COMPROMISES THE DRIVER'S CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

KEYSTONE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE AXLE SERIAL NUMBER AND REPLACE IT IF IT FALLS WITHIN THE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE. REPLACEMENT OF THE AXLE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 24, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KEYSTONE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-866-425-4369. KEYSTONE'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 10-147.OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
DocData757

I looked at the info tag that has the VIn and in the upper right hand corner was a date 4/10/2010. Can I take that as the manufacture date?

Dave
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
geo

Dave -

I would say that the VIN date would be your "completion" date, so yes, the build date. During our process, I found out that the VIN number is the last thing assigned to the trailer. So, when the VIN number is assigned, which I assume you found, then the trailer is built.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch