Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
cjac32

New Tow vehicle 2008 ChevyHD 2500

I just purchased a new to me TV, 2500HD Duramax. When I was setting up the WDH I couldn't get the truck totally level. the back dips down an inch, front only goes up 1/2 inch. My trailer has a dry tongue weight of 740 (Springdale 267SSR). My thought was since I went from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton it should sit pretty level. I made the proper adjustments according to the EAZLift instructions. I even took it to Camping World to have them take a look and they said it was pretty much perfect. I just want to make sure that is acceptable for safe towing. I'm pretty new to camping with a TT.
cjac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

First when empty the rear on trucks at least 3/4 and 1 tons is high. The truck is not level. When wt. is added they may get level and to much wt. the front is to high.
So, are you saying that the rear is lower than the front, as headlights point to sky not road. If that is the case you may need better springs, air bags etc. If the rear is just lower due to wt. thats how they are made to carry the wt. A little higher on the front is likey normal. Mine does that. See my set up below.
I checked the wt.s at a scale with and with out trailer. The hitch wt. is 900 lbs.
I have 200 lbs lighter on the front axle with trailer on but, can not see it. I never have measured the difference in height, it is not much . I asked the dealer when it there looking at it and they said with my truck do not worry. It drives, stops, handles great. I quit being concerned.
So, go get the wt.s loaded and empty, see how it drives, check headlights aim when hooked up. You might be fine.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
cjac32

Thanks Ken. I'll have to scale it to see where I'm really at. I guess I should have account for the built in forward rake on the stock truck. Like I said my 1/2 ton dipped about 3 inches or more depending on the load, I was at the limit for that truck. I feel better pulling with the 3/4 ton.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
RGene7001

It's not easy to equalize long vehicle. You have to apply tremendous amount of pressure near the pivot point in order to get several hundred pounds at the end of the 6 meter lever.Eazlift may be not capable to do it in the first place, it is quite flexible. Hitch receiver flex may be an issue as well. Try to check suspension drop AND weights with occupants in the vehicle, they will affect front axle more than the rear one and you may be just fine in the end of the day. If I didn't allow minimal rear sagging with trailer attached to the empty vehicle my front would be overloaded and the rear would be relatively in the air when people are in

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
cjac32

I didn't even think of the passengers, there will be me and three other people. Oh, and I can't forget the two dogs.
I think I have pretty good then. The rear of the trunk is still about 3/4 of an inch higher than the front. The trailer is sitting pretty much level (in the bubbles).
I have a trip to Whistler at the end of the month and will see how it goes.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I drove only one of those trucks and pulled a 1500 lb boat. Not much of a test for towing but, I think you will like it. The power is great, I do not recall mileage. I may get one next time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Laredo291OH

Hi cjac32,

I have never dealt with the EAZlift hitch, but have dealt with several of the Reese WDH including the Dual Cam. I don't think you are wanting the truck level, you want to return the truck to the height it sets with no load. Before you hook the camper measure the distance from the wheel well to the ground at the center of each axle. After the camper is hooked up, you want to return to those numbers. I don't remember exactly, I believe for the Reese dual cam you want to be the same to 1/2" higher in front and the same to 1" lower in rear. On the GM trucks you don't want to lower the front end because the lower A-arm is already riding on the bump stop and it will cause issues if your WDH transfers too much weight and actually lowers the front of the truck.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
cjac32

Hanks Laredo291OH,

I did some re-measuring last night from the wheel wells like before and made a few adjustments. I think I got it, the front went up only 1/4 inch and the back went down just under and inch (about 3/4). The TT with that setup is still level. My springer bars are now level with the frame. I think the EAZLift instructions said they should either point down slightly or be level with the TT frame.

I towed it around for while and the new TV really makes a huge difference from my 1/2 ton pickup.