Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
PND

Plug location in truck bed

Any comments on location of a plug in the truck bed? My truck has wiring for camper/5th wheel. Don't think it will reach to the back. To get my 5er home will be using the plug in the bumper (trailer plug). Have just one shot at making a hole, so want to get it right the first time. When I get time, will see if I can route the wiring harness as far back as possible. Any pictures would help. Thanks

PND
2012 Silverado HD 2500
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Javi

should help

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-5th-wheel...silverado.aspx
Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Curt Hitch also produces a plug in adapter to wire the "in bed fifth wheel 7 Pin connector" to the existing wiring harness. It simply plugs in behind the bumper mounted 7 Pin and is routed to the "one shot hole" you've got to drill.

The adapter harness comes in a 10 ft or a 7 ft harness. You can look at them here: http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/218/...on%20Harnesses

The installation instructions are available by clicking on the "INSTRUCTIONS" located under the price. Amazon.com has them available much cheaper than the MSRP.

I had one that I installed in the bed of my F150, it worked very well. When I traded trucks recently, I took it out, it's hanging in the garage because my new F250 came with the optional "in bed trailer plug" as part of the underbed hitch package.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Jim Dow

Trailer Plug Location in Truck Bed

I located my inbed plug on the driver's side in the back of the bed adjacent to the tailgate about 2/3 of the way up the side of the bed - no problems.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
I located my inbed plug on the driver's side in the back of the bed adjacent to the tailgate about 2/3 of the way up the side of the bed - no problems.
That's the same place Ford installed mine at the factory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
FTWingRiders

Same truck, used same video. Works perfectly!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
KanTC

Quote:
Same place the dealer installed ours - also no problems with 2 different FW's.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
theeyres

Quote:
Past trucks--same place. Current truck I never got around to it and just used the installed one below the rear bumper and never had a problem doing it that way.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

I had mine placed behind the driver's side wheel well.
Keeps the cord behind the hitch, eliminates the chance
of it becoming hung-up on the hitch and doesn't pull any
slack into any problems especially during a tight turn while
backing into a site. Just my 2 pennies worth...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
halfprice

I have the same truck. There is a lot of wire there. I thought the same thing as you. The wire will be to short. Don't worry there's plenty.

As the others said. Drivers side between the tire well and the tail gate.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
howdy
Permanent User Ban

I just use the plug in the rear bumper. PO did the same thing with his TH as there was no plug in the bed of the truck when I bought it.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
I just use the plug in the rear bumper. PO did the same thing with his TH as there was no plug in the bed of the truck when I bought it.
The only problems I've found with running the umbilical over the tail gate and down to the rear plug are paint rubbing on the tail gate and the occasional time in a tight turn when the umbilical pulls out of the plug. Mine just wasn't quite long enough to make a tight turn without stretching the umbilical past its limit and causing it to pull out and smack the front of the trailer as it recoiled away from the truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
howdy
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only problems I've found with running the umbilical over the tail gate and down to the rear plug are paint rubbing on the tail gate and the occasional time in a tight turn when the umbilical pulls out of the plug. Mine just wasn't quite long enough to make a tight turn without stretching the umbilical past its limit and causing it to pull out and smack the front of the trailer as it recoiled away from the truck.
Lucky for me my chevy truck came from the factory with plastic caps that cover the top of the bed sides and tailgate to protect the paint. My electrical cord is also more that long enough that it will never get stretched to its full length in any maneuver, except if I were to forget to unplug it and pull away
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, most modern trucks come with black plastic covers on the top edges of the bed and tailgate, mine also has that feature. However the outside vertical surface of the tailgate is painted the same color as our truck and unfortunately, when the cable runs over the tailgate black plastic protector, it has the "unique stubbornness" to actually feel free to rub the paint on the tailgate. I suppose not all umbilicals are created equal, some are longer than others, ours would pull out in a tight turn and when it finally snapped out of the truck receptacle, it would hit the trailer front with a loud bang. There wasn't any wondering if it was unplugged, you could hear it with the windows closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
wacdmc

Like many others, I put mine on driver's side between wheel and tailgate. I bought the connector at Northern Tool. I had to buy 5 feet of 7 pin wire from my dealer and splice it since the factory wiring would not reach. It's an easy job but I would suggest getting a nice piece of heavy duty heat shrink to seal up the splice.
wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
RdRmr

PND,

Here is where I mounted mine. Connected to the wiring harness routed to the tail lights right under the plug. Happy Campin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	3772  

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote