Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
JAG

Covering RV in storage

Have a Keystone Cougar travel trailer that is stored outside. What is the best brand cover to purchase to protect such a unit from the elements? Seems like a lot of extra work, but I want to preserve the trailer and prevent leaks from the roof, etc. Store in So. California, so the sun is my main concern. Any other methods of protection anyone recommends (sealants, etc.?)

Thanks,

JAG

2010 Keystone Cougar 27 RLSWE
2010 Nissan Armada Titanium 2wd
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

I bought the better adco cover, used it last winter. It worked good and kept it clean. Don't use a cheap tarp, you need a breathable cover. Bought mine from camping world. I here Aerspace 303 is good for rubber,plastics, decals from the sun's uv.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
JAG

Thanks! Can you put the cover on by yourself, or is this a major pain? Also - I assume these run between $200 and $300. How long are they expected to last?

Thanks
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

More like $300-$400 shipped to your door. I bought the Adco Tyvek one with the white top and gray sides. Seemed rather durable. I read members replace them every 3-5 years tops. It's alot easier with someone on the ground to help pull the cover while I'm on top.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Jag: You may hear varying opinions about the pros and cons of putting any kind of cover over your RV -- breathable or not. The disadvantages are billowing, chaffing and rubbing, and flapping about in the wind. I have used the Adco Tyvek cover from CW as well and it has gone through 2 seasons of winter covering. Other than a couple of spots where it became worn because of rubbing against RV projections that I neglected to put backing over, it has stood up quite well.
It is definitely a two person job.
Not sure whether we will continue to cover it but whatever cover you decide (or not ) to use, make sure it is breathable.
It does help keep your RV cleaner, and less susceptible to leaking during the wet winter months. I am more concerned about the chaffing and rubbing against the RV surfaces than anything - especially the edges of the rubber roof.
As far as UV protection for your rubber roof, if you do use a commercial roof protectorant, make sure it is compatible with your rubber roof. Again, you will hear a variety of opinions about applying rubber roof UV protection and cleaners. Personally, I live in an area where UV damage to our rubber roof is a very minor concern.
Some favor a good washing two or three times a year as opposed to applying commercial products whose UV claims are unproven.
To cover or not to cover --- that is the question.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Talking

Jag I think you would be better off with one of those aluminum "pole covers" I see all over S Calif. it wont chaff your RV and it wont wear out so fast. Plus once it's up IT'S UP.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Bowline

My ADCO cover ripped in moderate winds.

I purchased an ADCO Tyvek/Polypropylene cover for my trailer to protect it from UV damage in the summer months. After installing it per factory instructions, it ripped in a 25 mph. wind in about 2 months. The warranty specifically excludes "wind damage". I had the cover repaired by a local canvas shop and the owner remarked that the polypropylene reminded him of "paper towel material". It is not very strong

After paying $380 for the cover, suffice it to say that I cannot recommend it.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote