Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
LewisB

Question Dealership Assumptions?

We've been RV owners/operators for over 45 years during which time we have camped out of everything from a motorcycle & pack, to tents, to tent campers, to hard-sided trailers, to our current 40' toy hauler - you know the drill and probably made the same progression. Over the years, I've always made certain assumptions about RV dealers. For example, I've assumed they know a little something about the products they are selling; I've also assumed that sales people are not the best source for technical facts (like towing capabilities for a TV). That being understood, I've generally found dealers to be helpful and useful - if nothing else, it's a place to go and see multiple floor plans and even new models and new vehicles that may be new and/or rare.

Recently, we began talking about trading in our 11 year old toy hauler for something a bit newer - something less likely to break down mid-trip. I began shopping, looking at web sites for the local dealers - thinking about what our next RV should be - floorplans, options, etc. Low and behold, I spotted an add at one of the major dealers for a Keystone Raptor unit we thought we might like - and at a good price point. We called the dealer and scheduled a visit! We were excited! This was a 3 year old previously owned unit but it looked nice and had a lot of desirable options. It looked like something we could swing...it even worked with our existing TV (F350 DRW)…so we rolled!

At the dealership, we conducted a normal walk through inspection. We DID like the trailer...but it had some missing items (like the overhead bed in the garage), a window that had leaked and was taped closed, the refrigerator door that wouldn't close & seal...that type of stuff. We gave a list to the sales rep and told her we were definitely interested in purchase, but we would need our list of items taken care of as part of & prior to the purchase.

The sales rep went back to the office and ultimately told me that this unit was on "consignment" and the owner would not approve the repairs. Of course, the dealership would be more than happy to make the repairs AT OUR EXPENSE! I was taken aback...I stated that at least everything else probably worked...at which point they advised me that the dealership would be more than happy to conduct a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) but that would cost US an additional $1,800. Now I was shocked...the dealership had not even inspected this unit before they placed in on their lot. They couldn't tell me the refrigerator and A/C worked! They didn't know if there was a rip in the roof system! etc. WORST OF ALL, they never gave me hint of this during our phone and voice conversations prior to our visit. There was absolutely NO indication this unit was under consignment.

My question: am I being too old fashioned when I think a dealer should know something about an RV they are advertising and selling? I assumed they would inspect it before it went on their lot. Is this typical for dealers who are selling used units?

This "dealer" was providing a paved lot for someone to park a trailer for sale, they knew nothing about the unit and hadn't inspected it - BUT, they were more than happy to fix, at our expense, anything WE found to be not operating properly when WE inspected it. They ended the visit by making sure I was aware that their units are offered "as is".

I need to check my assumptions about RV dealers at the door...is this just one (fairly large dealer) or are they all like this now? Has the world completely passed me by while I was napping? We're going to avoid this place like the plague...makes me leery of going elsewhere. I might as well check Craig's List - if I have to do the inspection and repairs, why should I even go through a dealer?

Thanks for your thoughts.
LewisB
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
busterbrown

Shame on them for not telling you it was a 'consignment' purchase. But to play devil's advocate, do you ask on the phone?

Unfortunately with consignments, the dealers take no responsibility with those units. They are simply used as a medium to get prospective buyers. The commission fee is paid to them based upon the sale price (sometimes fixed).

If there are problems with the coach, it's up to the seller (or buyer) to handle the fixes. The dealer will glady address those issues in exchange for your money. As you already stated, the dealer markets and sells these units "as is". There is no incentive for them to help with the repair work.

Just think of the dealer as the "seller's agent". If the seller won't pay for the repairs, his agent isn't going to either.

Remember though, there are a lot of RVs out there for sale. You just need to find the one for you.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

I had a problem with a consignment RV back in around 1988. The wheels were missing the brake shoes. I put a down payment on it, if the brakes were fixed I would buy it.
The seller paid for a new axle with new brakes since no shoes were available at the time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
notanlines

Lewis, by now (You've been here six years) you should know that we are a nosey bunch. Good or bad, we still want to know the name of the party. Since you're in Tucson and it is a fairly large market there it would be hard for us to glean the guilty party from the list of local dealers. (Of course, I'm assuming the dealer IS in the Tucson area)
I might add, from the list of problems I'm making the assumption that the previous owner didn't do much in the way of proper maintenance. You might put this toyhauler out of your mind and keep looking. Good luck in your search. And keep us up on your progress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:44 AM   #5
Roscommon48

too many rvs. dealers just don't know the ins and outs of units.

you need to research what YOU want.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

This is the reason where I work doesn’t really do consignment sales. Unless the seller pays for a complete inspection and addresses the issues found.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This is the reason where I work doesn’t really do consignment sales. Unless the seller pays for a complete inspection and addresses the issues found.
And that's the way it SHOULD be !!!! An unscrupulous owner using a RV dealership to unload a bad unit on an unsuspecting buyer???? Sounds more like an owner using a dealer to "scam" a buyer. We all "rail against" dealerships that do "underhanded things"... Here, it's an owner AND a dealer that are working together.

I'd avoid that dealer and certainly that trailer "like a bucket of rotten apples"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
LewisB

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - I appreciate your feedback!

What I have learned from this experience is when shopping for a used RV at a dealership, the first thing to determine should be: "Is this a consignment RV?" If it is, then it will be the buyer's responsibility to insure the inspection is complete and necessary repair work is agreed upon as a part of the sale. The dealer will likely not be responsible for either the inspection or pre-sale repairs - they will only offer the unit "as is".

That being said, if the buyer (me, in this case) is going to be responsible, I will avoid consignment units at a dealership. All the dealer brings to the table is putting the buyer and seller together at a convenient location - that adds a third party whose vested interest is simply going to raise the price in the sale. For me it makes sense to shop around, find my own potential RV, and deal directly with the seller.

Thanks again for your comments.
LewisB
Old 05-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Lewis, by now (You've been here six years) you should know that we are a nosey bunch. Good or bad, we still want to know the name of the party. Since you're in Tucson and it is a fairly large market there it would be hard for us to glean the guilty party from the list of local dealers. (Of course, I'm assuming the dealer IS in the Tucson area)
I might add, from the list of problems I'm making the assumption that the previous owner didn't do much in the way of proper maintenance. You might put this toyhauler out of your mind and keep looking. Good luck in your search. And keep us up on your progress.
Yes, Jim, this was a Tucson dealer. However, thanks to you all, I have learned that I was part of the problem by making the wrong assumptions and by NOT asking about the consignment issue. The sales person was reasonably new (and young) and I'm not convinced she actually knew what was happening here. So I purposely left out details - it would not be right to bad-mouth the dealer over one incident like this. This is the same dealer I have used to service axles & brakes and I've liked their maintenance work.

In fact, that is why I introduced this thread in the forum. I'd never seen this discussion and thought it might be useful to others who might be considering purchase of a used RV and were not aware of the potential issues associated with a consignment sale.

You assessment of the previous owner was correct - I remember thinking "wow, this guy didn't take very good care of his stuff" - red flag that set me off on a more detailed inspection. Thanks for your insight and response.
LewisB