Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
dwdlt

Lerado 314RE Slide Out Awnings

Hello,

I have an appointment to take delivery of a new Lerado 314RE Travel Trailer next Monday. This model has three slide outs, and I'm considering having the dealer add slide out awning prior to me picking it up.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I'm on the fence on whether to pay the dealer to do this, or to buy after market awnings and install myself.

Just wanted to see if anybody has actually installed these awnings, and if so, how difficult is it to do?

Thanks

Dale
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
allmi01

I did this about 10 years ago. It takes 2 people minimum and working on a ladder.

The procedure is not too tough. Drilling to attach the awning rail needed (and usually provided in the kit) is the hardest part. Usually done with pop rivets into the wall or if you get really lucky, the top rail of the wall.

With a little care it can be done.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mike
Old 03-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
dwdlt

Doesn't sound to Tough

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sound like it's going to be to hard to do. I'm one of those guys that like to do all my own work...just to make sure it's right I guess.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've not installed them on my trailer but have contemplated the same thing you are. I'm sure I can install them but I wonder if it wouldn't be better for the dealer to install them to get a warranty on the work? I think CW is doing installs for $59 right now (if I remember correctly from the catalog I got the other day).

My trailer has 3 slides and 2 are pretty long (12-14' or so) so I'm thinking paying $180 for them to do it vs the time and hassle of trying to put something up like that (takes at least 2 people) would be worth it. Of course, if the installation is considerably more pricey that would need reevaluation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 AM   #5
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've not installed them on my trailer but have contemplated the same thing you are. I'm sure I can install them but I wonder if it wouldn't be better for the dealer to install them to get a warranty on the work? I think CW is doing installs for $59 right now (if I remember correctly from the catalog I got the other day).

My trailer has 3 slides and 2 are pretty long (12-14' or so) so I'm thinking paying $180 for them to do it vs the time and hassle of trying to put something up like that (takes at least 2 people) would be worth it. Of course, if the installation is considerably more pricey that would need reevaluation.
That's a good point. The quote I got from the dealership that I'm buying the camper from was around 2k...I thought that was just plain outrageous. There is a CW fairly close to me, so I'll give them and ring and get a quote.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS