Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Dso66

Couger x lite

Going to full time when I retire. Really like the keystone couger x lite. What are the opinions on the x lite models standing up to full timing?
Dso66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Doesn't look like you've had any responses. Full timing in an RV can be pretty tough. I have a trailer that isn't an x-lite and has all the bells and whistles including upgraded furnace and 2 ac's. I would be reluctant to full time in it...but I could if needed. For me a full time RV is something like a DRV Mobile Suites unit - but that's me. Lots of folks full time in lots of different things. Search the forum for topics on full timing, how to live in cold and hot weather and get a feel for what's important to full timers. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
GmaPaTime

Being an X-Lite owner, I would say that full timing would be out of the question on these units. We have one of the largest ones, but I would not want to spend month after month in only this unit. Like has been said, could you.... Maybe, would you want to.... I think not.

I just don't believe this coach is built from a materials and mechanicals standpoint for living full time. We love our unit so far, but if we were to go full timing, a much better equiped unit would be bought.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Dso66

Space and amenities are not a issue here. I really don't need a bigger unit. The house I live in is bigger but I don't use much more space than the 30 ft rig. I'm also alone so I won't be stepping on anyone.
Dso66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're considering a travel trailer, storage would be a consideration. If you're considering a fifth wheel, the XLite models are not a "walkable bedroom" configuration. The bedroom is only "full headroom" in the first 20-24". The remaining part where the bed is mounted and the access around it are raised about 10". That makes any access to the bed a "bend over and crawl" for anyone that's 6' or taller.

Is it "doable" Yes, but probably not for any long time.

Construction of the XLite and Half Ton models is not the same as a conventional trailer. There are many "weight cutting measures" (translated that means cheaper and lighter). For instance, in a regular travel trailer the floor is 7/8" plywood or flooring substrate. In the XLite the floor is 1/4" plywood sheets top and bottom with 1.5" of foam sandwiched between them. Just this year, XLite has offered an 8cuft refrigerator, previous models were 6cuft. Insulation is not great, R9 walls, R14 ceiling and floor. Previous to this year, 30 amp service was "tops". Now, finally, 50 amp service is offered as an option (standard with the High Country package).

While I consider this an opinion, not verifiable fact, the XLite and Half Ton Cougars are just not built for long term living. There is simply not enough storage, not enough durability and not enough livabilitly.

As GmaPaTime said, they are OK for a month or so, but I wouldn't want to try to live in one for months on end. There's much that is "lacking" beyond the square footage to be considered "ok, even for one person".

There are a number of people who live full time in much less than a Cougar, tents, park benches, cardboard boxes come to mind. I suppose a Cougar would be "great" when compared to some alternatives, but to select one as a "home of choice" given the alternatives, I wouldn't recommend a Cougar.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote