Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Ziggy

Generators

Hi all,

I'm a new trailer owner and have started to research generators. There is obviously a vast selection of units out there, but I'm not clear on where I should be focusing my research efforts.

We're pulling a 2008 Keystone Cougar, and I'm not sure how I should determine what "size" or "output" of generator I need???

What should I be looking for? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

Ziggy
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Hello Ziggy and welcome to the forum. You can do some of your research right here on the forum by using the "Search" feature. Simply type in "Generator" and you will find numerous posts on this topic. Some results will not be of much use to you but I think you will find many that are.
It would help the members to respond better IF you were to tell us what you will be using your generator for. Some use it to provide power for A/C as well as to be able to operate other appliances at the same time. Generator demands vary from camper to camper; consequently, size and output requirements differ. One size doesn't necessarily fit all.
Some members have obtained good results by using a less well-known and "cheaper" brand while others have had equally good results by sticking with the better known and often more expensive one.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
jq1031

Smile

Hi Ziggie, this is definately a situation where size matters. A 2000 watt gen set will run your lights, TV, coffee pot, hair dryer & etc. A 3000 watt should also run one 13.5 BTU air conditioner and some of the other stuff mentioned above, all at the same time. I have a 3000 watt Dometic generator that runs just about everything including the air conditioner fan, but not the air itself & that's because I have a 15,000 BTU air conditioner. A popular set up that I've seen is to link two Honda 2000 gen sets together for a 4000 watt output, now thats good but you've got two generators to cart around & maintain. As another example, my previous RV had two 13.5 BTU air conditioners, a 2000 watt inverter and a 7500 watt gen set to run it all & it did, very well. So as you can see it all depends on your needs & that of your RV. Hope that helps................. Joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
THedges

I have a Honda EU2000 and love it. It will run everything , including the microwave, accept for the AC unit. A lot of people are saying the Honda 3000 will run the AC, but it is quite a bit heavier.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
GMcKenzie

I also have a Honda 2000. It's quiet and very nice, small unit but won't run the AC. I'd buy 2 EU2000 and daisy chain them before I'd buy the 3000. Big difference in size and weight.

Couple places in town sell the Kipor brand. I'd be curious about them and would like to hear one compared to my Honda. They look and spec out similar but I don't know much more about them. My Honda is really quiet. Much quieter than my dad's genset, for example.

Kinda depends on where you plan on camping. None of the provincial sites around here have power, so a generator is nice, but some also restrict when you can run one (Kekuli on Kal Lake is one).

Hey. I see you have a 290RLS. Did you buy the one for sale just off McCurdy? I looked at it and it was a nice unit, just not exactly what I wanted.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Jay Pat

Give some thought as to where you would store the various units you are looking at.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
antiqfreq

We have two Honda EU2000i's in our trucks tool box that are paralleled together and they run everything when both are turned on.

Just one will run all we need; just turn second one on to run a/c fulltime.

Usually we alternate gens to keep hours as equal as possible before needing maintenance.

Jo

We've had our gens about 4 years now.
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
jje1960

Boliy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canucks View Post
After researching the many types available we got this one (Boliy3600SIE) which will be more than enough for our requirements (minimum use).

BOLIYGUY
Believe you will be very happy with the Boliy, we have, that's for sure. When not using the aircon at the Richmond race recently, it ran on it's auto setting for extended periods of time, using very little fuel. Hit the sack one evening just after 1900, was still running at 0745 the next morning when I got around to filling. If you have a 15k aircon unit, while possibly not necessary, may help to have the unit fan on prior to having the compressor kick in. I have started ours on the auto setting without problem, however have read on the forum that this will assist in starting larger aircon units with the big amp draw. Good luck with your new genset, we have changed the oil twice already and have been impressed with the clear state of the oil, this hopefully means the valves / seats are working nicely. Did you get the electric start model?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genmount.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	400  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
bdaniel

I love my Honda EU3000i. I have had it since Dec 2002 and if it quit tomorrow I would get another one just like it.

Generator Cover
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Ziggy

Thanks to all for the good advice!!! Much appreciated.

@GMcKenzie, no, we actually picked our unit up late last summer out of Alberta from a repo auction. Its in great shape, everything has been tested, were up and running and looking forward to a great long weekend out at Mara Lake.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

I managed to get a reservation (in the first 1/2 hour it was up) at Bear Creek so I get to do the years first run close.

Have fun at Mara.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote