Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
kippy

help with smarty jr newbee

2010 dodge big horn 2500 4x4 totally stock.. looking for help to set up my smarty jr. Towing. boat 5500 lbs and a15000 lb. Rv, also non-towing settings. Settings for. Sw's--torgue--injector. Any in-put wold be appreciated. Thanks. kip
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
LittleJoe

I don't have a 2010 but have used a jr for several years.

My suggestions are based on being the least abusive to the truck and not using ALL the new found umph.
For Towing:
Set your torque management only one higher than stock setting(I say this because of the weight you are pulling with stock trans).
Set timing to default (#2 I think).
Set the POD to 85%. and use the tow setting (#2).

If running empty use default setting for timing and torque and #3 setting for best mileage but don't abuse it and don't step into the pedal too hard until engine is at operating temp.

In my experience you will not see a fuel mileage increase (except on the overhead..........but not with a pencil), but you will not see a penalty at all over stock mileage.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
DirtyOil

With the Smarty jr for MY 2010 and up, Torque settings is not available, but setting timing to "default" sets it to the highest setting, so your going to have higher EGTs, for towing use Catcher #2, and as for timing? You will have to experiment with timing settings, as not all trucks react exactly the same. I ran the jr on my 2005, best fuel mileage was Catcher 2 (which was oddly the "tow" setting and timing at 2 with torque at 4) Main thing is to try the different settings on or near the same road/wheather conditions for comparison, only way to determine what's going to work best for your truck. I would recommend that Catcher tune #3 not be used for towing, 3 is the "performance tune". Could make things hot, and hard on the tranny.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
dm1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
2010 dodge big horn 2500 4x4 totally stock.. looking for help to set up my smarty jr. Towing. boat 5500 lbs and a15000 lb. Rv, also non-towing settings. Settings for. Sw's--torgue--injector. Any in-put wold be appreciated. Thanks. kip
If you haven't already check out "cumminsforum.com", sign up and use the search function, there is lots of info on there, including hard learnt lessons with incorrect settings on turners, and like little joe said do not run it hard till the engine has warmed up, or you may be replacing the head gasket.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote