Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Wolfwalker

Clogged/Plugged Black Tank Solution!

Just thought I would share this...two weeks ago we ended up with a blocked black tank. I mean it was completely full!!! We tried some Roebic emergency treatment to no avail. Beings I am fully skirted and hard line to the sewer and all insulated, pulling the pipe and chasing back was not an option (and I didn't want the mess...) We live in our fiver full time and have two kids. It wasn't froze and ours is the type where it is angled from the toilet to the tank so no simple solution there.

So here is what I did. It is pretty simple and hardly a mess at all. I cut a 10x10" hole above my valves. My grey and black tie in with a y connections and have seperate valves. First right on the radius I drilled a small hole and the distance past the valve is about 10-12". I stuck my inspection camera in the hole and looked. Complete sludge. Next I went and drilled a 1" hole in the radius a little further down the pipe and bought 3' of 3/8 pex, shark bite fitting and adapter to 3/4 garden hose end. Now bings I was using a 3/4 hose and going down to 3/8, I have my own pressure hose.

Next I inserted the pex into the hole and into the tank and started blasting away. It took about 5 minutes and I heard the tank squeaking and then it started to give way. I shoved it in further and let the curve of the line go further up the tank and left the water running. Next I went into the bathroom and stuck a cut piece of hose down the commode and used a plunging action till it started going down. Went back out and kept probing and finally heard it give way. I kept rinsing for a while and then disconnected all and attached the toilet wand flexible sprayer and had the wife start cleaning the tank that way.

I used a compression plug to plug the hole (for future use). We used the sprayer and I controlled the valve to fill the tank and drain two times. All done and no mess inside! And just a little mess when pulling out the jet sprayer with toilet paper on it!!!! No cost of a suction truck, no huge mess from 'timing' of shoving something up the pipe blindly!!

I will edit this post later and have pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0364.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0363.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0365.jpg
Views:	161