Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
Brantel

Brand new rig, trash the tires?

My new 2021 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS came with Trailer King RST ST225/75R15E tires.

All the talk on the interwebs about China bombs has me concerned that I should trash these tires right out of the gate.

After looking closely at how the Cougar is built around the tires, a blowout would likely cause much damage and be very expensive to repair.

I think I read somewhere that the TK RST's are a fairly new model and with little history on them as far as reported failures?

So I am considering the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15E tire as a replacement as this seems to be the only American made choice in that size with an E load rating.

Should I or should I not? If I do am I making a good move with my choice of replacement tire?
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
cavie

yes. Get those China Bombs off there,
Old 11-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #3
Northofu1

Yes, get rid of them.
I have personally never been a fan of Goodyear tires for any vehicle. They have to be better than the TK's.
I put Carlisle on the TT not an issue in 2 seasons I used them.
I now have them on the 5er but only used it once.
Good luck
P.S. With any tire you decide to purchase, just check them often. Even if you decide to use a TPMS system, nothing beats checking temps at fuel / rest stops. Check before take off, including the inner wall. It all comes down to your comfort level. An air compressor, that suits the needs of your tire, is always a good thing whether its in the garage or an on board system.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Just about every tire seller out there had Carlisle LRE 15"

Carlisle https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...adial-trail-hd

I bought mine via eBay as the price was better and had them mounted by my local tire shop in Castroville.

eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlisle-Ra...AAAOSw7HlfkvET

The tires I received were only a couple months past production week but you do run the risk of getting production dates that might be a bit in the past. If you buy them from a local seller you can ensure the production dates on the tires are pretty current. Lots of folks like the Goodyear offering but I have been around long enough to remember the Goodyear Marathon fiasco. Question was, would I replace? After seeing so many horror stories regarding the TKs, probably. Is there RST offering any better than previous offerings? Who know?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
rhagfo

Well with an 11,500# GVWR I would change to 16" wheels and move up to real tires a set LT (Light Truck) tires.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
notanlines

At first I thought maybe Rhagfo’s 16” idea was overkill, but having given it a little thought I might be inclined to go this route. Of course it is amazingly easy to spend your money.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
Brantel

Yeah, likely not going to happen. It has some nice looking wheels on it and tossing brand new tires is expensive enough!
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
My new 2021 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS came with Trailer King RST ST225/75R15E tires.

All the talk on the interwebs about China bombs has me concerned that I should trash these tires right out of the gate.

After looking closely at how the Cougar is built around the tires, a blowout would likely cause much damage and be very expensive to repair.

I think I read somewhere that the TK RST's are a fairly new model and with little history on them as far as reported failures?

So I am considering the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15E tire as a replacement as this seems to be the only American made choice in that size with an E load rating.

Should I or should I not? If I do am I making a good move with my choice of replacement tire?
If you're just unhappy with the name brand, why don't you negotiate with the dealer. Tire designated sizes and brand names are not linked. The regulation the selling dealer must abide by this standard; "The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling."
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Having had a TK failure, for no apparent reason (tire was perfectly maintained), costing 7k I'm biased in their use. Biased so far that I had the OE Ranier tires on this trailer (not TK and probably a decent tire) removed and Sailuns installed before I got the trailer. I just don't trust an OE tire any longer unless I know, or at least know of, the tires that are on it. They do not go for the premium tire brands unless on the most expensive units. Expensive? Yes. Aggravating? Yes. Do I hit the road (as I will in the morning heading for FL) with one less nagging worry on my mind thus making me much happier? Yes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
Mike&Sandy

Any comments on this tire? I'm in the same situation as the OP.

https://simpletire.com/brands/transe...&userZip=70032
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Yeah, likely not going to happen. It has some nice looking wheels on it and tossing brand new tires is expensive enough!
If you're considering Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires, you can often find them for sale at around $70-80 per tire. That's $280-320 for a set of 4. You can put the existing tires on Craigslist for $50 each and get back a major chunk of your tire cost. With mount/balance and steel valve stems, you're looking at around $15 per tire ($60) for installation and, estimate $300 for the tires, so $360 - 200, is about a $160 "out of pocket" expense for quality tires....

GY Endurance are about $60 per tire more expensive ($140 each), so add $240 to that 160 if you're looking at GY as a replacement.

The "track record" at least on this forum, seem to be fairly equal between the Carlisle and Goodyear ST tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Having had a TK failure, for no apparent reason (tire was perfectly maintained), costing 7k I'm biased in their use. Biased so far that I had the OE Ranier tires on this trailer (not TK and probably a decent tire) removed and Sailuns installed before I got the trailer. I just don't trust an OE tire any longer unless I know, or at least know of, the tires that are on it. They do not go for the premium tire brands unless on the most expensive units. Expensive? Yes. Aggravating? Yes. Do I hit the road (as I will in the morning heading for FL) with one less nagging worry on my mind thus making me much happier? Yes.

OK, you have been shopping for RVs recently and probably know the Keystone models better than most; what premium brand tire is used on any Keystone? I doubt you will find the tire brand in any sales brochure but if you have been haunting dealerships, perhaps took a look at the tires on upscale lines?
Old 11-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
Any comments on this tire? I'm in the same situation as the OP.

https://simpletire.com/brands/transe...&userZip=70032
I personally don't like the look of that tire, it's not just about the weight they can carry. Tread pattern and water/snow wicking / siping is also just as important.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I personally don't like the look of that tire, it's not just about the weight they can carry. Tread pattern and water/snow wicking / siping is also just as important.
May be an issue on his truck, but on a trailer don't think that would be a problem.
They look like a commercial grade tire similar to the Sailuns I had on my 5th wheel, which by the way were a great tire.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post

I don't care what you say, they look original equipment on a farm tractor. I guess they do look a bit like the tread pattern on the 16" Sailun trailer tires.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Mike&Sandy

Here's another look at them. The ratings are exceptional.

https://www.amazon.com/Transeagle-Ra...s%2C180&sr=8-3
Old 11-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK, you have been shopping for RVs recently and probably know the Keystone models better than most; what premium brand tire is used on any Keystone? I doubt you will find the tire brand in any sales brochure but if you have been haunting dealerships, perhaps took a look at the tires on upscale lines?

I have seen Sailuns on quite a few upper Keystone models which I consider about as good as it gets in a 16" tire. I believe I saw Goodyears on the Solitude (although not Keystone bit is their top of the line) which from everything I've seen/read is also about as good as it gets (so far).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #18
Bill-2020

Discount Tire will match pricing. I walked in with a printed sheet from Tire Buyer's website for Carlisles just a few weeks ago and they matched on the spot (Tirebuyer.com had the lowest prices, even lower than wally world).
Old 11-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #19
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I’ve posted threads along these lines before. I’ve often found it to be a good comparison of where the automotive tire market and RV trailer tire market have similarities.

Go to a large auto dealership, any brand, and do a sort of inventory of the OEM tires on the cars, SUVs and pick-up trucks. You’re going to find Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Firestone, Pirelli, Hankook, Kumho and all sorts of other off shore brands being used as OEM.

Have you ever refused OEM tires on a new automotive product?
I have, on two brand new vehicles and 1 used. I refuse to own a set of Firestone tires.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #20
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I’ve posted threads along these lines before. I’ve often found it to be a good comparison of where the automotive tire market and RV trailer tire market have similarities.

Go to a large auto dealership, any brand, and do a sort of inventory of the OEM tires on the cars, SUVs and pick-up trucks. You’re going to find Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Firestone, Pirelli, Hankook, Kumho and all sorts of other off shore brands being used as OEM.

Have you ever refused OEM tires on a new automotive product?
I couldn't change those firestone's off of my Ram quick enough, they were the worst tires in the history of the world (no exaggeration, lol).

Tags
tires