Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
Pmedic4

Update to almost lost a Tire - I did!

Took my tire in for repair, and the Chinese tire, Trailer King lived up to it's reputation. There was a pinhole in the sidewall, which can't be repaired, so the place had to replace the tire. The leak was so small, they couldn't find anything when they originally checked, but they pumped it up overnight to 80psi, and when they came in the next morning it was down to 20psi. Since they knew it was leaking they did finally find the hole.

Can't imagine someone would have stuck a very fine needle or tiny nail low into the sidewall of a tire, so this tire just failed by itself. So, yes we need to check our tires frequently, use a TPMS and get good tires.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Ribtip

For sure. Trailer kings are garbage.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
For sure. Trailer kings are garbage.
I can’t say that I agree with that overly broad statement. We now have well over 15,000 miles on our OEM Trailer King tires. Always properly inflated, speed stays under 70 mph and we are not overloaded. The tires have performed very well and have worn evenly with no issues. I have nothing bad to say about Trailer King tires and the catastrophic failure rate is no worse or better than any other brand of trailer tire.

All that being said, when we replace the tires in the spring, we are not going to buy the same brand of tires any more than I would buy the original brand/model of tire that came on any vehicle I have ever owned; car, truck, trailer, ATV, lawn tractor, etc.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
notanlines

“ All that being said, when we replace the tires in the spring, we are not going to buy the same brand of tires any more than I would buy the original brand/model of tire that came on any vehicle I have ever owned; car, truck, trailer, ATV, lawn tractor, etc.”
I, on the other hand, can’t imagine buying a better tire for my truck (Continental or Michelin) or my RV (Goodyear Or Sailun) than what came on them.
Uh, one other thing: TK = garbage.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:28 AM   #5
ChuckS

Some folks are brave ... or foolish and run TK E rated tires on large fifth wheels. The earlier model Alpines came with them... Mine were removed and 14 ply G rated tires installed after towing the unit twice...

Brand of G rated tire really doesn’t matter much to me... but my next set will be either Sailun S637 or Hercules 901... I also upped the size from 235/80x16 to 235/85x16 for increased load capacity.

Just wrapped up fifth season with current G rated tires... they will see a sixth season of use.. I’ll replace after the end of 2021..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Chuck touched on what I think is the reason why TK tires have been, in the past couple of years, involved in fewer "roadway tire explosions".

Thinking back 15 or 20 years up until RVIA changed the standards for tire capacity on trailers, most manufacturers rated an axle at, let's say, 4400 pounds and installed tires rated at 2200 pounds. ZERO SURPLUS CAPACITY...

RVIA in 2018 (I think) changed the standard to require manufacturers to install ties on axles with a 10% (again, I think) surplus tire capacity rating over the axle rating/expected load for that axle. So, in the example above, the tires (regardless of brand) installed on that axle would be increased from 2200 pounds to 2420 pounds (10% increase in rating above the expected load).

So now, rather than a TK tire rated for 2200 pounds supporting 2200 pounds at 70MPH on a hot highway surface in the desert, that trailer is equipped with tires rated at 2420 (or more) pounds. Given the additional capacity, the tires on that trailer would likely be "better equipped to survive that same roadway condition"...

In my opinion, even "trash tires" would come out with fewer "roadway tire explosions", not because the tires are "better or worse than before 2018" but rather because they are being used under the maximum rating rather than "at the maximum rating"....

As an "aside"... again, IMHO, the same "logic" applies to using a half ton (at maximum rating) will not provide the "same cushion" as a half ton used 10% below its maximum rating.... YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote