Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
benny53

air conditioner not cooling

I have a 2017 Montana model 3661RL it has two air conditioners, I know it is July and I am currently in Alabama and the outside temperature is in mid 90's, but I don't believe the inside temperature should be 87 degrees. Both units run constantly but won't cool. Any suggestions ?
benny53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Tbos

I'd say it may be time for a pro to take a look at them. Can you hear if the compressors are coming on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Bob Landry

Keystone's sorry AC installations are legendary, ducts not taped to registers, leaks into the ceiling, and return air plenums not sealed off from the discharge side.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Maybe a stupid question, but have they worked before? Is the thermostat set to cool and the fan on auto? Just trying to get a feel for where we are in this. TBOS may be right. But you gotta start somewhere.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Keystone's sorry AC installations are legendary, ducts not taped to registers, leaks into the ceiling, and return air plenums not sealed off from the discharge side.

So True !! you can use this as a TODO check list. Almost guaranteed to find a few of these. So buy some tape and plan on spending a half a day. Made a big difference on my unit
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
kench

Hi we have a 2016 Montana 3790RD Legacy edition problems with air conditioner which dealer ignores. After much research I have found Spaceport 8840WH air vents have helped. They are the style used in Motorhomes and are adjustable and can also be opened and closed to direct the A/C where you need it. I put 9 of these in our unit and helped a lot. The ones supplied with our rv are totally usless and are now residing In the garbage.The air conditioner unit itself seem to be working ok The problem is in the ducting and delivery of the hopefully cool air. Our unit has only 2 air vents in the living room and 2 in the bedroom which I feel is not enough for a 41'6" unit and am working on getting the additional vent openings installed. We purchased our air vents from Ron Hoover RV in Donna Texas for under 5 bucks. Hope this helps We also have large problems with our 2118SS Norcold refrigerator and battery draining too fast while dry camping. Anyone have any suggestions they are most welcome Thanks and great to be here
Ken & Janette Orillia Ontario Canada . Mid January to April 1 st we are winter Texans in Alamo Texas
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #7
kench

Hi see my recent post on Spaceport 8840WH air vents they helped my unit a lot
Ken
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
fatcatzzz

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I found misdrilled holes in my ducts that I could put my fist into. All open to attic. Tape all openings you can find that are open. Made a BIG difference in my ac temps. The air vent covers could help, but you have to deliver the cool air to the vent covers first.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
jimthemosaicguy

See the thread "Air conditioners only hold low 80's on Fuzion 420"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny53 View Post
I have a 2017 Montana model 3661RL it has two air conditioners, I know it is July and I am currently in Alabama and the outside temperature is in mid 90's, but I don't believe the inside temperature should be 87 degrees. Both units run constantly but won't cool. Any suggestions ?
You should have "dump vents" located right at the unit. These are a sliding vent that you can open to "dump" cold air directly into the main living area. The bedroom unit might only be configured this way while the livingroom unit will also be ducted to the other vents in the trailer.
Make sure the thermostat is set to cool and the fan is set to auto. Set the thermostat to 70. Open the dump vents and see if cool or cold air is coming out. This will eliminate any issues with ducting problems. If you're still only getting warm air it's going to be trip to the shop. Hopefully under warranty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0009 (1).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	13980  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
1951grumpa

I have similar problems. I have a 2017 Premium 29RKPR. We got it in July and our first stop to Yellowstone was in Minnesota. It was 90 outside and 80 inside. I called my dealer and was told about the re-taping and I did it. It helped some didn't solve the problem. After returning home I brought to the dealer, they said the a/c was working properly. They gave me the factory customer service number. I called and they said the a/c works properly, it's an RV not like your home. Even after I told them The bedroom closets got to over 106 degrees i was told the unit has an option for a second a/c. I hope you can get your problems . resolved George
1951grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner