Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2015, 03:36 AM   #1
MILBY

327 res nose

I am sure someone has posted this already but I could not find it. Anyway the gray nose on mine looks like hell (fadeing) I have washed and waxed still bad. Called dealer they checked with keystone and no to it being warrentied. Any ideas.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #2
jsmith948

There are numerous threads re this issue - some of the members have had their front caps repainted - some are just living with it and some are using various products to restore the original finish.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #3
grampscamper

I have the same problem with ours. I've waxed it with a good quality wax a couple of times a year and still got fading. I noticed it this summer. Our 5th wheel is only 2 years old and is fading badly. I called Keystone customer service and they told me they won't cover it. They suggested I try Mequiars wax.
I'll give it a try in the spring when I bring it out of storage.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
They suggested I try Mequiars wax.
The crap these customer service people come up with is amazing. They probably also pretended when you called to have never heard of this problem before, but its because of your lack of maintenance, oh and its naturally occurring, oh and there is a special product than you can apply that will bring back the shine....the list just doesn't end.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

As jsmith948 pointed out, there have been previous extensive and thorough discussions about the front cap fading. If you use the search function and type in "fading" or "front cap fading" you will find plenty of posts/threads that already exist about this very topic.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
Martydonna

We had the same problem on our 2013 327 RES and were fortunate to have purchased the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I used some expensive boat wax and it helped for a while. It would have cost us $1500.00 to have it redone. I'm a firm believer in extended warranties.
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Keoni37

What extended warranty covers cosmetic issues? We have an extended warranty on our 2013 Cougar 333MKS with the fading cap and have been told it does not cover cosmetic issues.
2010 Ford F-350 LB CC 4x4 PSD
2013 Cougar 333MKS
Keoni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni37 View Post
What extended warranty covers cosmetic issues? We have an extended warranty on our 2013 Cougar 333MKS with the fading cap and have been told it does not cover cosmetic issues.
If you already have an extended warranty, included with that there should be a hard copy of the policy. In the policy, is a comprehensive list of what is covered and what things are not. Examining the policy and reading the fine print, should tell you if "cosmetic issues" are covered - or not.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Keoni37

I have a hard copy Festus2 throughly reviewed and it is not covered. I just found it interesting that there exists an Extended Warranty that would include the Cap Fade. Not doubting, just that I wasn't offered an extended warranty with this type of extended coverage. Bummer! Thank you for the reply.
2010 Ford F-350 LB CC 4x4 PSD
2013 Cougar 333MKS
Keoni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni37 View Post
I have a hard copy Festus2 throughly reviewed and it is not covered. I just found it interesting that there exists an Extended Warranty that would include the Cap Fade. Not doubting, just that I wasn't offered an extended warranty with this type of extended coverage. Bummer! Thank you for the reply.
Extended warranties are actually an "insurance policy" that provides specific coverage for a specific price. There are some differences in coverage between policy underwriters just as there are some differences in coverage between automobile policy underwriters (example: windshield chip repair vs replacement).

The insurance policy you purchased likely doesn't offer the same coverage as another policy would offer, but your dealer sells one "brand" of extended warranty, not "all of the available" policies. So, you probably weren't "offered" cosmetic coverage because it isn't offered by the "brand of insurance" that your dealer sells.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #11
BSHGTO

"nope"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
I have the same problem with ours. I've waxed it with a good quality wax a couple of times a year and still got fading. I noticed it this summer. Our 5th wheel is only 2 years old and is fading badly. I called Keystone customer service and they told me they won't cover it. They suggested I try Mequiars wax.
I'll give it a try in the spring when I bring it out of storage.
Mequiars isn't going to fix the problem, nether will any other compound on the market. The only permanent fix for this issue is painting the front cap with an automotive paint and clear coat the paint. Of course my dealer said, never heard of that before, Keystone said maintenance issue-- your problem. Both lies, blatant lies at that, so with proof and documentation to the contrary Keystone finally agreed to paint my cap.

Looks good after 2 years and not a drop of wax on it.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #12
svo

We purchased an extended warranty that does cover any paint fading. It is actually a special coating that was applied before I picked the unit. It's good for 5 years.
svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Martydonna

We purchased a 5 year Perma-Plate Paintgaurd. it covers the outside Front Cap etc.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Both lies, blatant lies at that, so with proof and documentation to the contrary Keystone finally agreed to paint my cap.

Looks good after 2 years and not a drop of wax on it.
What documentation will Keystone accept short of full detail with indications of cap polishing?

I agree though, with as ridiculously common as this problem is, having Keystone would call it a lack of maintenance issue is just insulting.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #15
Martydonna

From what I've read, it seems they will cover for some people but not all... it should be all or none. I guess you have to be persistent.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
dcg9381

And cover it if you can prove it's not a "maintenance" issue - I'd like to know what Keystone will accept as proof...
Old 05-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
And cover it if you can prove it's not a "maintenance" issue - I'd like to know what Keystone will accept as proof...
Have you contacted Keystone to get their "official requirements" ?

If not, possibly an email to: http://www.keystonerv.com/contact-us
or even a "snail mail" letter to:

Keystone RV Company
2642 Hackberry Drive
PO Box 2000
Goshen, IN. 46527-2000

Trying to use "other people's experience" in what boils down to a "he said/she said" situation usually becomes an exercise in futility. Nothing quite trumps getting the information "right from the horse's mouth".

If you do take the initiative to ask, please post the answers if you'd be so kind?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #18
dcg9381

John, the last two emails I've sent to Keystone have gone unanswered (after the "confirmation" email).

Agree with you that it's better to have an official answer. Was just hoping that the OP would/could indicate that they accepted receipts for 303 protectant, etc.

Luckily I've got no cap fading (at about 12 months) -but doesn't seem to be an issue on the Carbon. We also keep ours under cover - which may help.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

I was one of the ones that Keystone agreed to pay for a repaint of the front cap. It was done right before the warranty expired (I think - could have been right after). My service manager took the issue, managed it from stem to stern with Keystone and got it done. He told me that Keystone knew there was an issue with the way they were painting/covering the front caps so it wasn't an issue. It was repainted with a top end automotive paint?/gelcoat etc. He told me it won't fade again.

I believe the OP's unit was a 2011 when he originally asked about repairing the fading cap under warranty. I don't think that will happen. I don't think Keystone will authorize any repairs on units over 2 years old simply because by then there are other variables at play other than the type of finish used. Those in the 1-2 year time frame MIGHT get them to do something because they were aware of an issue, but, I highly doubt it.

There are extensive posts on this forum about this issue; causes, solutions and examples of Keystone repairing units. I do think I remember that someone had said that Keystone had changed the way they apply the finish on the caps in the newer models (2015/6?) if I recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 AM   #20
Dave W

I have to say that a 'free' nose paint job on a 2011 Cougar is beyond any warranty consideration. Sorry if that seems to be blunt, but even your TV or DD car would probably not be covered that long after purchase. You can try a face to face discussion with the dealership manager/owner and you might get some consideration if non-confrontational, but neither he nor Keystone have any obligation 5-6 years after manufacture and your purchase. And yes, it is a problem over many Keystone lines and other brands - our 2014 was warranty painted prior to delivery with DuPont ChromaBase and cleared since it showed fade before our purchase and today is still very nice.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote