Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
natedog_37

Awning issues

2nd trip a couple months ago the the pin on the top of the awning came out and the awning started to open while driving. Bent the U channel up etc. We ducktaped it up and dove it to the dealer

Dealer said Keystone denied the warrenty but put a new clip in to hold the pin.

trip 2 in the camper clip falls out again when setting up. I use a socket, and hammer and pound it on backwords, and it stayed this trip. Again send a email to dealer.

Trip 3 not fixed yet by the arm now opens hard.

Took to deal. They put in another claim to have this fixed, and replaced the clip. was told to not open the awning. "Why have it then" intill they get the part.

Why is it so hard to get Keystone to fix this issue. I have camped every trip with at least 2 other familys all had there awning out with no issues.

I want the U channel fixed and the arm replaced.

If this is how they handle there customers I will be selling this unit soon.
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
GaryWT

Not sure why but I would not leave the dealer alone until they get approval from Keystone.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like someone at the dealership has no clue how to repair an awning. There is no reason why they haven't already repaired your awning so it functions properly.

There is an "alternative" to the dealer. The Awning is NOT a Keystone product. It is an "aftermarket" item that was installed by Keystone. If you look at the owner's manual for the awning, it will give you some "authorized repair facilities" which may be near your location. If you choose, you can "bypass the dealer and Keystone" and simply contact the awning manufacturer or their service center and deal with them. They will need to verify the warranty status, be sure to take your original "bill of sale" or "sales documents" to show when you purchased the trailer.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
natedog_37

If it fails next time we might have to do that. I'm about to drive the 2 hours to there plant and leave it there..
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog_37 View Post
If it fails next time we might have to do that. I'm about to drive the 2 hours to there plant and leave it there..
It may "sound like a good thing to do" to haul it back to Keystone and drop it off, but if you do that without their consent, you may find that you can't get it back without paying storage fees, legal fees and a host of other things. It's not a good idea to take your "investment" anywhere and leave it without knowing that the place you leave it is secure and the owner of that place gives you permission to park there. Otherwise, the local police may have it towed to an impound lot and that's when your problems really begin.

The awning manufacturer, not Keystone is responsible for the warranty on their product. You might want to check your Owner's Manual carefully. There is a specific procedure to follow if the dealer can't repair your awning after two attempts. Your best bet would probably be to follow the procedure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
natedog_37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It may "sound like a good thing to do" to haul it back to Keystone and drop it off, but if you do that without their consent, you may find that you can't get it back without paying storage fees, legal fees and a host of other things. It's not a good idea to take your "investment" anywhere and leave it without knowing that the place you leave it is secure and the owner of that place gives you permission to park there. Otherwise, the local police may have it towed to an impound lot and that's when your problems really begin.

The awning manufacturer, not Keystone is responsible for the warranty on their product. You might want to check your Owner's Manual carefully. There is a specific procedure to follow if the dealer can't repair your awning after two attempts. Your best bet would probably be to follow the procedure.
I wouldn't do it just being stupid. Check with the awning Manufacturer and guess what my dealer is one of their repair centers. ugh.

I will look in the owners manual and see what it says.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
mjl2022

Sorry about your awning troubles, you might want want to consider a more managed approach towards your dealer.
Consider Asking your dealer;

Exactly why did Keystone deny the claim?
What follow-up did they (dealer) do on your behalf w/ Keystone?
Why does Keystone believe this awning component failed?
Whom did they contact at Keystone to escalate your claim?
mjl2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You should be dealing with no less than the service manager at this point. Ask the questions listed above then call Keystone and have your VIN. Ask them to read exactly what the dealer sent them. It's all in the way they present it to Keystone...been there, done that and just finished again.

The first time I encountered rain in my trailer it was 2 months out of warranty. The rain tore the front of the underbelly off. I took it to the dealer, and for the first time, I dealt with a service writer and not the service manager. In a couple of weeks it came back that all repairs (my front skirt came off as well because all the screws to attach it missed it when being constructed) were denied under warranty. I contacted Keystone and had them read me exactly what was submitted, which was not an accurate description of what happened (thanks service writer). They referred me back to the dealer. I contacted the service manager and let him know what I thought and that the Keystone rep advised I go back to the dealer, have them re-submit with accurate info and then they would re-consider. Long story short, the service manager became involved with me and Keystone and all of a sudden ALL repairs were covered including them checking my batteries and filling with water! I will say that I do have a good service manager - he just had his hands full when I used the service writer.

Also, as JRTJH said, it might be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and try to work thru them if the dealership isn't able to resolve the problem.

In your case it sounds like the dealer may not know what they are doing on your awning. Mine got damaged at the dealer and they had parts in and repaired in less than two weeks and it works fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
dcg9381

I agree with MJL - have your dealer show what they submitted to Keystone on the warranty claim. My understanding is that this can often explain the denial...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
natedog_37

Was told they resubmitted if this get denied I am going to above route.

We leave this weekend for a trip and where told not to use the awning. What the point of having it if I can't use it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

natedog

If you have to go the route of contacting Keystone and having them read you the dealer comments remember that it is all about wording. They look for any indication in the writing that leaves them off the hook, or could possibly be the fault of the owner. The dealer HAS to be specific in their assessment of the problem and leave no doubt with Keystone that it was a product failure and not something that the owner could have caused. If you have to deal with the manufacturer the same holds true. Also, as I said in my previous post, your service manager needs to be running the gauntlet for you by now. My service manager told me that Keystone takes on a whole different attitude when it has been escalated to him and then he escalates to management in Keystone.....which is hard for a customer to do with any great success.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
natedog_37

Thank you for the info. I will be calling them Monday when i return from my trip.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
natedog_37

Just wanted to add a update.

After talking to the owner, and top management of the dealer, and posting a note on Keystones Facebook page. This issue is now fixed. They replaced the everything that was broke.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
bobbecky

Don't know why this should have been an issue if your rig is listed in the Keystone recall on the Dometic awning motors. I went to their recall page, http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications , and it shows a recall for 2013-2014 rigs that have the Dometic 9100 power awnings. I wonder if anyone checked this?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
natedog_37

^ didn't even know that will be asking about that next trip in.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
taylspin

awning issues

I contacted Keystone about my awning problems. Was told to go to the dealer. Contacted Awning manufacturer for parts needed, Was told need to bey the entire housing to replace a piece of crap speaker, and an entire support arm assembly to replace a one foot long piece of aluminum square tubing that failed. Warrenty issues are taken care of through dealer and Keystone, was told must bring unit in to dealer and leave it. Housing is $439, and support arm is $478. Not to mention two feet of the LED light strip is burnt out. NOT IMPRESSED!
taylspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #17
natedog_37

Another Awing issue

So they replaced the awning arm and so far so good. Went to detail and put the camper away for winter and noticed one of the bolts that holds the awning to the camper was lose. Tired to tighten it and it just spun. Called deal and tool the camper in. They removed the bolt and there is nothing behind it. Took off the lower bolt and nothing there the silicone was holding the bolts tot he camper. No head board nothing. The middle and right side are into wood.

How can a large Camper Make missing something like this. If this was OE automotive maker this would be a huge issue.

Just don't get it.

Lets hope they cover this.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Did you verify that "there was nothing behind it"? or did the dealership tell you that was the situation? It sounds to me like the most probable situation is the dealership installed the new arm and when installing the mounting screws(using the same holes), they overtorqued the arm, stripping out the wood (or splitting the backing plate.

I'm not defending the factory, they make more than their fair share of mistakes, but if work was just done by the dealership in that area, my first inclination wouldn't be to blame the original installation, but to verify, first, that the person doing the "reinstall" didn't make a mistake and now is blaming it on the factory......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #19
natedog_37

was out there with them. There was nothing behind it, and the bolts go into nothing. I spun the bolt my self and even moved it left to right and there was noting there.

The dealer only repaired the front arm, this is the rear arm so not something they touched.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #20
dfb
Gone Traveling

Our awning above the entry door started coming out of the channel or the track.. Out of 11 months of ownership this 5ver has spent 9 months in the shops.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote