Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
spittman

water heater leak sprinter 316bik

Well, not off to a good start. Our first trip in this camper. In a previous thread I mentioned the power awning doesn't work. Today we moved to a different campground. I noticed the carpet in the bunk house was wet. It had rained, so my first thought was a slideout leak. After some investigation, it turned out the hot water tank is leaking badly. The tank itself must be cracked. The fittings all look good. Still have 3 days on this trip, with no hot water.
spittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I assume that you have already bypassed and drained the HWT and if electric option available disabled the power to it.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
spittman

Yep, drained, bypassed and turned off. Its pretty much all dried out now. Sucks not having hot water for 3 days, but we used to tent camp, so this is still a significant step up in luxury. Bathhouse is just across the street. Called the dealer. Taking it in on monday.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on when or how the awning lost power, it may not be locked in the travel position against the trailer. Before you try to tow it at highway speeds, make sure that it won't unfurl on you. Pulling on the arms and making sure it won't unlock/unroll may save you some significant damage.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
spittman

The awning never moved for mE and we did move about two hours to a second camp site. It is locked... luckily. To be honest, I could do without an awning altogether. To me, they cause more problems than they are worth.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

No problems, I was just trying to help. Here's hoping things turn out OK for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
spittman

Resolution

Figured I should come back and let everyone know the outcome. Took it to the dealer, they could not reproduce the leak. so, I brought it home and hooked up the water and ran the hot water heater for 3 days. No leak. Took it for a drive to see if the water was being trapped somewhere and would leak when moving. Nothing. So I took the hose and sprayed the outside of the camper. Water was pouring in. Turns out, the water heater just wasn't sealed very well on the outside. Rain water was coming in. Applied some caulk and problem solved.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
PerryB

It seems like the dealers don't try very hard once the sale is made. How much effort would it have took to give it a quick hose-down in trying to locate the leak? I've long since given up on warranty repairs unless its an equipment failure (a/c, fridge etc. ). Things like plumbing, electrical or water intrusion I can repair better and faster myself than hauling it 2 counties away and then having to come back in a couple weeks and hoping its been fixed.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote