Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Robinsonfam

I have read several places about a recurring problem with bent axles. Does anyone know if that problem been fixed on the 2014 models? The last thing I want is to get a trailer and have to worry about something like that. If it has been fixed do you know what was changed?

Sorry I hit post too soon. I am talking about the Bullet Premier line.

Thanks in advance.
Robinsonfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
labs4life

The thing to think about is, all trailers from all manufacturers have issues. Of all of that line sold, what was the failure rate?? All manufacturing has an acceptable rate of failure before they will correct the "issue". Not saying it is a big or small problem, just stating facts of manufacturing.
Most all trailers now seem to use the same components from the same distributors, so getting away from something is very hard nowadays.

If that is the trailer you want, don't let a few issues scare you away. Everything has problems, even the extreme high dollar motor coaches!!! I used to do work in multimillion dollar homes, they were just as out of square as the $200k ones.

All that to say, get a camper, do your part at the PDI, get any issues fixed and get to camping!!!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
f6bits

Most, if not all, manufacturers use the same axles. Mine are Dexter. This is the first time I've heard of bent axles. I've heard of some that needed alignment, but that's it.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

For all of us can you tell us where and what you read about bent axles in keystone trailers. Is this something regarding Dexter with a axle type and size.? Is this something that happens when the axles are used on a keystone trailer?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
Robinsonfam

Sure I found it in several forums. For example here is a link to one of the longer threads. This thread pertains to many things but the axles are discussed in there.

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...g/26107948.cfm

Thanks for the feedback so far. It doesn't sound like many have heard about it so maybe it isn't as wide spread as I feared.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Robinsonfam,

to the forum.

As for your concerns with axle reliability, I think that the link you provided is more a "general gripe" type of thread. On the first page, there were complaints about axles, refrigerator drains, refrigerator failures, slide problems, water pump issues and one poster stated the only problems he has had were "operator induced". There really was no data to indicate if the posters were talking about relatively new RV's or if they were complaining about failures of various components in trailers that were "older than dirt" and nearing the end of their useful life.

I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on what you have read about axle failures in the general media. Yes, there are axle failures, and as your link indicated, failures in nearly all RV systems as well. Most public forums are skewed toward those posters who have had problems. Most people who are satisfied with their purchase are "off using it" rather than "home complaining about it" so the data you read will more likely trend toward the "unhappy side".

The issue, as labs4life said, is what is the failure rate? RV's are really a "house on wheels" that bounce down the road from "homesite to homesite". To endure the stresses of the road and movement from place to place, you've got to admit that RV's in general, are remarkably well constructed.

Occasionally, engineering will design a specific "new feature" that turns out to be less reliable than expected, but for the most part, that's a very rare issue indeed. Probably the most recent one is the touch screen type control panel found in some Keystone RV's. Axles have been around since the very beginning and they are, by no means, a "new feature. There's enough data known about axles to pretty much design any RV to be problem free in that area.

As for axle problems, there are a very few members here who have reported bent axle tubes. Whether they were bent before they ever bought the RV or bent from use has not been determined (as far as I know). The manufacturer (either Keystone if in warranty or Dexter/Lippert if after the first year) has stepped up to the plate and taken care of the problem. I don't remember any member being told, "Too bad/so sad" who has encountered an axle issue.

In a recent forum survey, about 91% of those responding indicated they would purchase another Keystone product. In fact, I just ordered another Keystone RV and am expecting delivery this month. That speaks to the reliability and satisfaction level of Keystone.

I believe it all boils down to whether the RV you like meets your floorplan requirements and size/weight limits of your tow vehicle. Reliability seems to be very good with Keystone RV's provided you take care of maintenance and owner responsibilities. If you ignore those, just like ignoring maintenance on your tow vehicle, the failure rate is likely to go up.

Again, welcome to the forum, we're happy that you decided to join.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

HI AND Glad you joined. Around here most axel issues are "state" induced! IE. the roads suck! I think we have more potholes per mile than a any place in the world! I do agree with John that there are really no issues with the axle just bending or high failure rates. With proper maintanance they will last a lifetimeNOW GO CAMPING!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Robinsonfam

Thanks all! We pickup our new TT today at 2:00! Thanks again for all the words of wisdom.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

ENJOY ALL THE ADVENTURES SORRY about the caps I wasn't yelling at you, I was cheering for you
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I read thru 3 pages regarding bent axles and found 2 people talking about the Premier, lots of folks with other trailers saying they bent axles. I cannot say it is a problem after reading that. One guy suggests that they are to small on a 2012 Premier. If the damage is from bad parts or driver damage is unclear. People also talk about axles but, they really maybe having spindle problems, mounting bracket failure etc. On RVs all those items are damaged by hitting curbs etc. Enjoy your new trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
labs4life

Post up some pics and let us know how the PDI went. Good luck and have fun!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Notahappycamper

Thumbs down 2011 Passport 3050bhs

As you can see I am not a happy camper. We purchased our 3050bhs in 2011. Within our first 3 local trips, we noticed one of the axels were bent. Took it back to dealer , and it was replaced. A couple trips later the axels were bent again and tire wear existed. Took it back to the dealer a second time, and they replaced both axels with a heavier grade axle. While on a current trip out of state, we happened to stop for a fill up and guess what. An axle is bent yet again. One of my tires is worn done to the radials. So this is now the third time. I am extremely frustrated and pissed. Our camper has had nothing but problems with the axles, leaks, seals falling off.... We had to get 2 new tires on this current trip. When we get home it's off to the dealer again spending more lost time with this issue.
Notahappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Rock7

bENT aXLES

Had to have rear axle replaced on 08 Cougar in 2011, Thank goodness for after market warranty. They paid without a gripe.
Keystone said,"Your unit is out of warranty."
Also said same on decals.
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
lawdes

I have a 2012 Passport 31RE unit. Has two 3500 # axles (Dexter). Went on about 3500 mile trip in July, and began noticing inside tread wear on left rear tire. Watched carefully in mirror, and that tire was rolling bottom out, and getting worse. Stopped at a shop and they confirmed that axle was bent, pushed it up with a jack, but said it won't stay. Had to change the tire about 100 miles from home since the steel was through all the way around. Keystone Warrenty (about 1 month from expiring!) paid for not only that axle, but the other one as well, to be replaced with a heavier duty axle, but still 3500#. Never took it off the road, was not overloaded, just some rough highways (interstates). Thing should be able to handle that without bending. Haven't taken the new axles on a trip yet. Have to admit, Keystone and the dealer was good to work with. They even replaced the tire that was ruined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote