Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
cjelliott81

Another Keystone Customer Service Fail

BUYER BEWARE! - KEYSTONE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.

An improperly installed (upside down) cargo door has caused thousands of dollars in water damage to my camper and despite a diagnosis from two different authorized Keystone dealerships that that the door is improperly installed, Keystone refuses to take responsibility.

The door is installed such that the weep holes that would typically allow rain water to simply drain out of the door are located on top of the door rather than the bottom (see photos). This allows the door to fill with water during rain showers until it completely fills the door and weeps between the door panels and the black frame that binds each side of the door together ( not to be confused with the door frame that the door seals against when closed).

Per Keystone customer service, "... they stated they do not believe a manufacturing defect. It would be deemed no assistance from Keystone RV. They deemed that the weep holes would not allow water into compartment." This is despite the fact that it has been diagnosed as an improperly installed door by two of their service centers, video of the water running down the door obviously from the door seams and not from the frame, and photos of corrosion on the interior of the door from the water seepage.

Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/5Aa9mdqgHAdAF52GA

Video of leak: https://youtu.be/PpWkQt6AMlU
cjelliott81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
cjelliott81

And Keystone has already deleted my post on their Facebook page. Way to face a customer service issue head on, Keystone.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
dcg9381

cjelliott81,

Sure look upside down to me, but I see that other forum members might have thought otherwise back in July.
Have you managed to see what your dealer actually submitted to Keystone? I'd think it would be pretty hard to disagree with "hands on". Camping World could bungle up a walk across the street and I think that's who you're going back to.

Clearly it's leaking under whatever conditions were in that video.

Are you still under warranty or is this outside of warranty term?

Who is "they" in the response you quoted above, as it's Keystone referring to a 3rd party?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
cjelliott81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
cjelliott81,

Sure look upside down to me, but I see that other forum members might have thought otherwise back in July.
Have you managed to see what your dealer actually submitted to Keystone? I'd think it would be pretty hard to disagree with "hands on". Camping World could bungle up a walk across the street and I think that's who you're going back to.

Clearly it's leaking under whatever conditions were in that video.

Are you still under warranty or is this outside of warranty term?

Who is "they" in the response you quoted above, as it's Keystone referring to a 3rd party?
It has been confirmed upside down by both CW and my local RV dealership, both submitted to Keystone. This is further supported by the fact that the seam for the door deal is located at the top of the door.

The "they" referenced above is Keystone's "service liaison team" that my customer service rep has been working with.

It is in fact out of warranty at this point, but this leak was originally brought to CW's attention in August 2014 when it was still in the warranty period and it has since visited their facility 3 other times ( and my local RV dealership) attempting to fix this issue.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Customer

The CEO of Camping World (Marcus Lemonis) welcomes customers to contact him with problems.
[email protected]

You need to tone down the venom though. Be respectful and ask for help rather than making inflammatory accusations. An email diatribe like you posted here and on RV.net isn't likely to solicit a helpful response on his part.

Being unprofessional and trying to besmirch the name of a business will just be shooting yourself in the foot and accomplish nothing.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900
2009 Aliner Sport
2016 Chevrolet 3500HD D/A 4x4
Shopping for my next trailer!
Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
dcg9381

Did CW ever find a "root cause" on the leaks? They worked on it 3 times and those work orders had what outcome?

From what I read, often the disruption in warranty service comes from a disparity in what is being communicated to the customer and what is being submitted to Keystone.

And that's not to excuse either - at all - hopefully that comment is helpful. I'd ask a service manager at CW for a copy of what has been submitted.

Our RV is at the dealer for warranty work, I'm happy to take a look at my doors when it gets back...

Another suggestion - I *think* Lippert manufactures those doors, you could seek some written clarification on their installation which might refute the "service liaison team".

And again, I agree - seems that one or both parties isn't working very hard to solve something that has been identified as a problem for a while.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Javi

All I got is to say.. If I had this problem I'd have fixed it 20 minutes after I found it, not let it go on for several years waiting of warranty..
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
All I got is to say.. If I had this problem I'd have fixed it 20 minutes after I found it, not let it go on for several years waiting of warranty..
Seems like a couple holes drilled in the bottom lip of the door would have solved the problem.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900
2009 Aliner Sport
2016 Chevrolet 3500HD D/A 4x4
Shopping for my next trailer!
Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer View Post
Seems like a couple holes drilled in the bottom lip of the door would have solved the problem.
It may be more about service from CW / Keystone on the issue.. If I'd had it in for resolution 3 times, I'd be livid also that any warranty on the issue was denied.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
It may be more about service from CW / Keystone on the issue.. If I'd had it in for resolution 3 times, I'd be livid also that any warranty on the issue was denied.
Keep in mind the OP's trailer is a 2013 Sprinter and he asked about the door installation on this forum in July 2015, 1 to 2 years after the warranty expired with no reference to any "in warranty" claims for the door mentioned in his posts. The "might be" a "unresolved warranty" or it "might be" a "request for repairs 3 years after the fact. A clear timeline hasn't been provided to know for sure when all of this started and what was done during those previous repair attempts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

From what I can tell from the pics it does appear that there is something wrong with the installation and it definitely does leak. I don't know what is going wrong with the dealership/Keystone dance but it seems that it should have been repaired. Getting serious about getting it repaired, once it is out of warranty, is the wrong thing to do. That needs to be done on the first git go.

Secondly, there's not any way I would let the unit sit and sustain "thousands" of dollars in damages while I was in a "P!$$n" contest with the dealer/manufacturer - especially when it's close to the end of the warranty; then things get iffy anyway. As Javi said, something like that has to be addressed "right now".

I feel for the OP and hope he comes up with an acceptable resolution.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=JRTJH;197948 . A clear timeline hasn't been provided to know for sure when all of this started and what was done during those previous repair attempts.[/QUOTE]

Another missing detail is an explanation of the "thousands of dollars of damage" that apparently resulted from the improperly installed cargo door and the consequent leakage.

I'd be interested in hearing exactly what damage was done other than to the cargo door. Was this vague amount determined by the dealership or the OP?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #13
cjelliott81

Update: Keystone has completely absolved themselves of the issue. Thankfully Camping World has stepped up and has agreed to fix it. This will be the last Thor product I own ( I know that excludes a lot of brands) and Camping World has earned a customer for life.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
dcg9381

What was Keystone's (actual) final response?
Good for CW....