Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Campy

Problems with a cap repair and roof blisters!

We purchased our new 2014 Cougar right after labor day in 2014. The day we took delivery we noticed a huge blister on the front cap in the black area. We told the service people about it and they came out and took pictures and informed me it would have to come back to have that repaired. We took it back at the end of October and they had it for about 5 weeks and repaired the cap. The only thing not done was the front cap decals and they were not in yet. I told them that I needed to get it in storage (inside/heated) and they could send me the decals and I could put them on later, they did. I went to the storage building today to install the decals and found the repair is coming back through! Plus I found a whole section of "blisters" on the roof! This don't look good to me! Looks like it's going back again!! I think a new front cap and roof is in order! We'll see how this goes?......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap repair 1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	7768   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof blisters 1.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	7769  
Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Bubbles/blisters on a rubber roof is not a new issue here and has been extensively discussed before. As a start, you might want to do a forum search about this problem by typing in "roof bubbles" or "roof blisters" in the search box.

By reading through these posts and threads, you will be able to find out more about what others have experienced and what they have done to address the issue.

I hope you find some background information that will help you learn more about the bubbling/blistering on your roof.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Bubbles/blisters on a rubber roof is not a new issue here and has been extensively discussed before. As a start, you might want to do a forum search about this problem by typing in "roof bubbles" or "roof blisters" in the search box.

By reading through these posts and threads, you will be able to find out more about what others have experienced and what they have done to address the issue.

I hope you find some background information that will help you learn more about the bubbling/blistering on your roof.
I understand the whole roof blisters/bubbles and I know that they are not uncommon however when it's a whole section across the front like that it won't be good. My 2011 Coachman have several bubbles on the roof of it since new and they was only about the size of golf balls to baseballs, not a section that spans across 2/3rds the front.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Campy

Well upon further (and closer) investigation the roof bubbles are not bubbles at all! They are actually globs of glue under the roof membrane. I guess too much is better than not enough?? Still waiting to find out about the front cap repair?...........
Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Campy

Bringing this older post up to date. We got our camper out for the holiday and went camping for 3 days. Found this horrible spot on the front cap where the dealer had it "repaired" back in October. Just as soon as the camper got back out in the sun this spot swelled up like a full tick! I called the dealer and they kinda got snippy with me about it so I'm checking with another dealer to see what they can get done with it. (right above the word keystone)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0828 (Medium).jpg
Views:	234
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	8651  
Old 05-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Campy

I had the other dealer check into the repair and they contacted Keystone and they rejected the claim because they have already paid for this repair. I kinda figured that would happen, I decided to call Keystone to see what could be done. I spoke with Tracy at customer service and we talked for awhile about the problem and a solution. She said that it really needs to go back to who ever did the original repair so they can make it right. Keystone told me they would discuss another option if the second repair is not successful. I truly believe that Keystone will not leave me with a screwed up camper! It goes back for the repair on Monday June 1st and they told me it will be repaired in plenty of time for our trip on the 4th of July.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Steve S

Most of this looks pretty normal to me and it's been discussed manytimes before.
I go out in the morning and my front cap looks like new, if it's a hot day I'll come home and it'll look like it has a few waves on it.
I washed my roof the other morning and there were bubbles, by the time the sun beat down on it the bubbles were gone.
I always think it's like watching paint dry, it's just something that you don't do.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Well upon further (and closer) investigation the roof bubbles are not bubbles at all! They are actually globs of glue under the roof membrane. I guess too much is better than not enough?? Still waiting to find out about the front cap repair?...........
You sure? Often the bubbles are air and will expand with heat.
If they are gobs of glue, someone did it wrong.

If Keystone elected who should repair it, they should deal with it... If you decided, that's a bit different.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You sure? Often the bubbles are air and will expand with heat.
If they are gobs of glue, someone did it wrong.

If Keystone elected who should repair it, they should deal with it... If you decided, that's a bit different.
I did not have a say in who repaired it, me and the wife wanted the cap replaced right from the start since it was on day one when we found the original blister. The "dealer" chose the repair center and to this day I still do not know who that even is??
Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
Campy

Current update: The camper went back for it's second repair of the front cap. The first repair "popped out" and looked really bad, huge square bubble. I returned the camper back to the dealer on June 1st and they took it back to the body shop. The dealer called me about 2 weeks later and said it was done but one decal was not here yet. That gave me cause for concern because why only one? I went on Monday to pick up the camper and when I arrived it was setting out front. The "repair" looked good until I got closer, they actually taped off and painted around the decals!! I could not believe they had done this on a new camper. I spoke with the service writer and told him that I am not going to accept this repair! That is the type of thing you do to an older camper that you can't get decals anymore so you save them by taping around them, not a new camper under warranty! They agreed to try it again but after my 4th of July trip. I have called Keystone and even they can't believe this is going on. Keystone suggested that I have a lengthy talk with the owner of the dealership and I think that's what were going to do when we return it again for the 3rd time!!!