Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
DaveInVa

Full timing in a Montana

I plan to live full time in Northern Virginia. Winters aren't extreme, but we do see some very cold temps with snow, and summer can get pretty hot and humid. Anyone have a favorite model that I should consider? I am leaning towards a Big Country/Horn due to the units being "rated" for full time use, but I am aware of the Montana reputation. What are the major differences between the Montana/ Big Sky lines versus the Montana Mountaineer/ High Country lines? It will just be me living in it approximately seven months a year when I am not overseas working. I would love bunks for my small boys that I will have on weekends, but the front living rooms also seem to be very popular. My plan would be to purchase a used model (2012?) and expect to live in it for up to three years off and on as I stated above.

I'd appreciate any feedback on your experiences in temps below freezing or how the "advertised" insulation ratings actually perform in the real world? Is there a major drop in quality between the premium and luxury line? Or is it mostly trims and fancier furnishings/ appliances? This will be a big purchase and a major change in lifestyle, so appreciate everyone's advice!

Thanks
DaveInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Thumbs up Welcome to the forums

Since I live on the left end of the country and in the central valley, I can't really comment on winter camping/Living in any RV. My buddy lived in his Montana for 5 years here before moving to Georgia and I can remember him telling me that it didn't stay all that warm. If memory is working today I think his was an '06 or so and he said it went through propane like a drunk on a binge. Ended up using a couple of space heaters and even then it took some propane to keep up. It never gets below 30 degrees here so hopefully someone on the other end will have more info for you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I'd be very wary of what salesmen might tell you or what the brochures and "advertised ratings" claim about RV's suitability for full-time or four season use. In some parts of the country many RV's are fine for this type of living but without carrying out some fairly extensive modifications to the RV, living in areas where the temps drop below freezing for any length of time can present problems.

It doesn't have to get that "cold" before the interior of an RV becomes uncomfortable.

I think you will find that:
1) the underbelly of your RV is not well insulated. There may be loose insulation thrown in and there may be areas where there is little or no insulation.
2) unless your tanks have "heating pads", keeping them from freezing may be problematic.
3) exterior skirting will most likely be necessary.
4) some kind of supplementary heat source may have to be placed in the underbelly and/or storage compartments to keep the exposed water lines from freezing.
5) electric pipe tape/wrap needs to be applied to the outside water lines
6) copious amounts of propane will be required.

There are very few RV's that are designed and constructed for 4 season living in colder areas of the country. Those that are built this way are pricey.

It can be done but not without doing some modifications to your RV and skirting for sure.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
DaveInVa

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!
DaveInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I'd be very wary of what salesmen might tell you or what the brochures and "advertised ratings" claim about RV's suitability for full-time or four season use. In some parts of the country many RV's are fine for this type of living but without carrying out some fairly extensive modifications to the RV, living in areas where the temps drop below freezing for any length of time can present problems.

It doesn't have to get that "cold" before the interior of an RV becomes uncomfortable.

1) the underbelly of your RV is not well insulated. There may be loose insulation thrown in and there may be areas where there is little or no insulation.
2) unless your tanks have "heating pads", keeping them from freezing may be problematic.
4) some kind of supplementary heat source may have to be placed in the underbelly and/or storage compartments to keep the exposed water lines from freezing.

There are very few RV's that are designed and constructed for 4 season living in colder areas of the country. Those that are built this way are pricey.

It can be done but not without doing some modifications to your RV and skirting for sure.
X 2! I insulated the under belly and it's made a huge difference!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
theeyres

Festus is right on with all the suggestions. No matter the brand, NO RV is really made for very cold weather. Those polar packages work great if it drops below freezing in the middle of the night and then warms up during the day. But if you are going to be in below freezing day and night you are going to have to take the steps outlines to make it doable. Even then, don't except shirt sleeve comfort inside and plan to pay some heating bills. You might want to pay a visit to the area where you plan to move and visit with some of the full time RVers living in parks. Most love to share their experiences. You'll get some first hand info that way.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
mikell

Whatever you get make sure it has a heat pump /AC unit it saves hauling propane when it's above freezing

4 Winters in an Alpine in Michigan with no real problems
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
geo

Festus2 is "right on the money" with his advice. And while Earl offers excellent advice, there are some higher-end, and I will say pricey, RVs which can do quite well in cold weather. These RVs are not in the Keystone line. Now, let me also say that even with those 4 season RVs, one does manage the heat sources and does take measures and daily management to assure livable conditions. If you are overseas working when it is cold weather in northern Virginia, you would definitely need to winterize the RV before you left and de-winterize it when you returned.

Last winter in north Texas, we had an ice storm and about a week of below freezing temperatures. In our SOB RV, we were very warm, had two ceramic electric heaters and fireplace inside, a small oil-filled heater warming the basement area, and burned around 40# of propane in a week. It was definitely "short sleeve" warm inside. And I am positive that my former Alpine behaved in a similar manner from my own modifications on it . . . wherever in western Oklahoma it was.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Having been inside and under Geo's SOB fifth wheel, I can attest to the fact that it's not constructed like a Keystone RV. It's obvious when looking at the way the underside is constructed that it would withstand much colder temperatures than the Keystone products I've seen.

As for his Alpine, although I haven't seen it to compare, from the threads he has posted here detailing his "underbelly modifications", it may have survived the freezing temperatures well, but it certainly wasn't because of what Keystone built into it, rather the extensive modifications that Geo did were the reason for its ability to survive.

I wouldn't trust the advertising "hype" from Keystone about any of their brands being "true 4 season products". Simply stated, they aren't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

i own a Montana 3750 with the "polar package" and was told it was a four season unit... as long as the fourth season is anything but Winter!!!! The only thing I can say about the polar package is the 3 square inches under the sticker are about .5 degrees warmer than the surounding area!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
grayghost03

Be aware that comparing a 2010 to a 2014, is comparing apples to orange, as far as insulation is concerned, many, many upgrades since then. I traded a 2012, for a 2015, 2012 Montana HC, 2015 Mountaineer, even these two there is no comparison, the 2015, much better insulation, both temp and sound. Something to think about.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

There may be improvements in the R Rating or "much better insulation" in the newer models but as I indicated in another similar post, if the insulation has not been installed properly and the heating ductwork is put together in a slip-shod manner, it really isn't much of an "improvement" - even if it says so in the glossy brochure or on Keystone's website.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
Pentagon

[QUOTE=Festus2;146548]I'd be very wary of what salesmen might tell you or what the brochures and "advertised ratings" claim about RV's suitability for full-time or four season use. In some parts of the country many RV's are fine for this type of living but without carrying out some fairly extensive modifications to the RV, living in areas where the temps drop below freezing for any length of time can present problems.

It can be done but not without doing some modifications to your RV and skirting for sure.[/QUOTE
You are 100% correct festus, we look at a so called 4 season unit they are very pricey.
Pentagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
bobbecky

We spent early winter last year in Missouri, left the second week of December, and experienced temps as low as 9 degrees, and quite a few mornings in the low teens. We survived, and there was nothing frozen in the trailer, but all that at the cost of a 30 lb bottle of propane every other day. I would not want to see 0 degrees while in the trailer, but I suppose it would be OK, again at a cost.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Just tossing this out there, sounds like the rv is not relocating, check out a park model trailer. No holding tanks etc, still needs some work for wintering it. We had a 40fter, not a bad way to go if not moving.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote