Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
trikerbob

Looking to Upgrade - Need Opinions

Good evening, everyone, and I hope you all had a nice Easter weekend. I'd like to ask a question. We currently have a Passport 195RB, but are seriously considering an upgrade to a Cougar XLite. I know most of the posts here deal mainly with complaints and defects, but if anyone has a good review, I'd like to hear it, also. We're looking at a 30RLS and our TV is a 2014 Toyota Tundra. Thanks in advance, y'all. Robert
trikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Whitewolf

Looking at the Toyota site, if I read it correctly, depending on your model, you can tow up to 10,200. That should be plenty of truck for the 30RLS.

Our very first camper way back in '11 was a 195RB. Enjoy your new summer home.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
buzzcop63

Have talked to new Tundra 2014 owners of over 30' Cougar trailers with the only concern being the length of their trailer and the wheel base of the Tundra and how well they handled side wind and sway. So far the owners have stated that the Tundra handled very well on the road with the long trailer and as long as the numbers are good, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combined Weight Rating and tow capacity is above the fully loaded trailer you should be good to go. Best to weight your set up to know just how much weight your Weight Transfer Hitch is moving to your truck and how much is left for cargo in the truck. Big smiles on people I have talked to with similar set ups.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
Old Hoosiers

We have a 2012 30rls and have had NO problems with it. It is one of the best (out of 8 Travel Trailers) we have ever owned. No regrets, it's loaded and we getting ready to use it again this week.
Old Hoosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
trikerbob

Thanks, guys.

Just wanted to say "Thank you" to you three for the response and advice. I appreciate it. Y'all travel safe.

Robert
Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
Bob Landry

The touch control panel would be a deal breaker for me, if it comes with that. Otherwise, it looks like a good match. The Tundra is a very capable TV. I pulled a 277RL with one with no issues. My only complaint was payload and range between fill-ups. The 26 gallon fuel tank just didn't get it, but the Transfer Flow one did.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
vantage32fls

Our 2014 Tundra has no problems our 35' 10" Vantage. we've went over Cascades and down Oregon coast to Calif. One thing for us is the TT does have a heavy hitch weight 1035lbs (dry). It has a gross weight of 8,200lbs and a dry weight of 6,800lbs. Just DW and I, we just keep most things in the TT over axles or to the rear of them. We did have a 2007 Tundra and it seems that the newer ones can't haul as much the 07 was 10,400lbs, the 14 is 9,900lbs. And I agree with Bob the small fuel tank, we get about 10mpg.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
HappyCamperMN

I traded our 2008 Sequoia for the F350 listed in my sig below for peace of mind. Mainly because the Sequoia was going to essentially be at its GVWR pulling our 31BHPR. Short wheel base was the other main concern. Was bummed to get rid of the Sequoia, was a great truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Onthemove

We have a 2012 Cougar 25RLSWE trailer that is 29’ 6” long, we pull it with a 2012 Toyota Tundra and we have had no problems with pulling the trailer. We had them for 1 1/2 years with no problems. We have put over 10,000 miles on it so far. Mostly in Oregon to Wisconsin. Hook up and enjoy.

2012 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7 - V8
2012 Keystone Cougar 25RLSWE - 30'
Onthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
trikerbob

Thanks to everyone

I want to thank all of you for your responses. I've been working the numbers (that's the first thing I look at) for weights and such, so I was pretty sure I was within my limits. I have all my weight slips for my present rig, so I knew what I was starting out with. I really like our little Passport, but for the future, we wanted something a little bigger so we'd be more comfortable for longer stays on the road. And the Cougars have the floor plans we like the best. I really am interested in a V-nose. I looks like the drag would be a lot less on one of those. Anyway, thanks a lot. We have a lot of looking to do, and plenty of time to do it. Take care, all.

Robert
Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
dm1401

We have a 2013 28RBS and love it, loaded it up with solar panel, fantastic fan, and 3x vent covers, and couple of other things. We plan on keeping this unit long as possible. We have spent about 16 nights in it so far. In my opinion it is a well put together TT, feels solid, and tows way nicer than my older stick and tin unit. Good luck on your search, and let us know what you pick.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikerbob View Post
I want to thank all of you for your responses. I've been working the numbers (that's the first thing I look at) for weights and such, so I was pretty sure I was within my limits. I have all my weight slips for my present rig, so I knew what I was starting out with. I really like our little Passport, but for the future, we wanted something a little bigger so we'd be more comfortable for longer stays on the road. And the Cougars have the floor plans we like the best. I really am interested in a V-nose. I looks like the drag would be a lot less on one of those. Anyway, thanks a lot. We have a lot of looking to do, and plenty of time to do it. Take care, all.

Robert
According to the Keystone website, the Cougar "V-nose" models are all listed as "stock only" meaning they are out of production. All that are available are on dealer lots or at the factory in the shipping lot. Unless you're looking for a used unit, you may not have "plenty of time" once the current stock is sold, they're gone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
trikerbob

So that's what that means !!

Thanks for that tip. I was wondering exactly what 'stock only' meant, and now I know. I appreciate that. I know there are 'other' RVs out there with V-nose models, but we'd sure like to stick with the Keystone line.

Thanks again,
Robert