Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
TnMich

Question Cell phone signal booster help

Our cell phones don't work inside our Passport due, I think, to the aluminum sub structure of the ultra lite. I have searched the internet for signal booster equipment. Does anyone have any experience with one? I was thinking of a glass mount antenna for the least amount of installation required. We have Verizon 4g/3g smart phones.
TnMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Ruffus

Yes

Go to the search bar and type antenna booster, there's alsorts of info there from earlier posts.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
azlee56

I was interested in this too so I searched for what you said. I found posts for the main antenna and it's booster, but not about cell phone signals being better. It won't use the main antenna will it?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
TnMich

cell phone booster

Ruffus, I am not sure what you are seeing that I am not. All the posts about boosters are for tv and wifi for computer. Nothing about boosting cell phone signals inside of camper.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

In my experience I have never seen a passive glass mounted antenna do anything to boost the signal of any transmitter or receiver. If you can directly connect the phone to the antenna or use some type of repeater, it will boost the signal as if you were outside. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
TnMich

Talking verizon 4g signal booster

Here is a Wilson signal booster. I don't know how I would mount the antenna and then how to run the coax into the trailer but this should solve the no phone signal in the camper problem.

Wilson 801865 Amplifier for Verizon 4G LTE
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
WCW

I have a Wilson Cradle Booster and an antenna that mounts on the ladder. I've only had to use it once and it increased the signal 2-3 bars. It's my understanding that the boosters "improve" the signal. If you can't get a signal it won't help.

2013 Laredo 335TG
2012 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L
WCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
TnMich

Cell phone signal boost option

Here is a youtube video for the Wilson sleek 4g cradle for smart phones and hotspots. May be an affordable option.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
jrm

The Wilson 801865 Amplifier for Verizon 4G LTE listed previously is not what you need since that only boosts LTE signals on Verizon and voice calls don't go over LTE. It would only help with data and only in locations that have LTE service.

Your idea of using a window mount to keep the installation easy is a good one. The only stipulations are that your windows shouldn't be tinted, and you need at least 15 to 20 feet between the window antenna and the inside antenna the rebroadcasts the signal in order to avoid feedback between the two. Also, this setup would only work if you can place your phone next to the window and get at least one bar of signal.

For the window setup, I would recommend a Wilson SignalBoost DT or a YX540 both of which have window mount options.

The Wilson Sleek 4G-V for Verizon mentioned previously would be the cheapest option and the antenna can be mounted on the window if you get the home accessory kit. These work really well, but the phone has to stay in the cradle so you'd have to use a bluetooth headset. It only supports one phone at a time so if you need more than one, you're out of luck. It's also the only system available right now that I can both 3G and 4G in one unit.

A system with an antenna that is outside the vehicle will always work better than a window mount option so if you want a slightly better system, the Wilson RV and Ambulance Repeater Kit (841295) is really good. Unfortunately, the antenna that comes with it requires that you drill through the roof and mount it permanently which may not be what you want. In that case, call their customer service and they can put together a kit with a threaded antenna that you can mount to either an existing threaded mount, or to an adapter that clamps on to the ladder in the rear.

I hope that helps. Let us know what you end up going with and how it works!
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote