Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Electric power waste valves

Been getting tired and annoyed reaching down, up and under to pull and push the handles for my waste valves. They have long cables which bind a lot and it is a difficult space reaching them.
I plan on changing something about them this summer when we are back home. I see adds for electric powered valve, but have no experience with them and don't know anyone that has them.
So, does anyone here have knowledge about them? Are they reliable? How well do they work. etc.?
Thanks,
John
fjr vfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:54 AM   #2
Weldon

Can you add the link? I can't answer your question, unfortunately, but now I'm just curious.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:21 AM   #3
Max23

Not sure they'd be worth the expense or problems installing them. Imo just one more thing to go wrong. Lol. Jmo. But no, I have no experience with them at all. Would hope they have a manual backup just in case.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:23 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen them once in my career so far. Not cheap but the customer said it works good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 AM   #5
dutchmensport

I think the electric valves are more common in Motor Homes (big rig, Classs A's) and maybe some of the "higher" end fifth wheels. But, they would be factory installed. Evidently, they work OK or they'd never put them in those RV. However, replacing a manual for an electric would require a lot of work. Not only the plumbing, but the electric wiring also. I suppose it can be done. Everyone is different and everyone is willing to put different levels of "work" into their own RV to suit their own comfort levels. I wouldn't do it. But there's nothing wrong if you want to. Once you start though, you are committed. So plan everything carefully, get all the parts first and then make sure you have the space, time and tools to do the job. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:36 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Been getting tired and annoyed reaching down, up and under to pull and push the handles for my waste valves. They have long cables which bind a lot and it is a difficult space reaching them.
I plan on changing something about them this summer when we are back home. I see adds for electric powered valve, but have no experience with them and don't know anyone that has them.
So, does anyone here have knowledge about them? Are they reliable? How well do they work. etc.?
Thanks,
John
I believe your waste valves are located through the frame rail, behind the J-wrap siding ??? That's where mine are located and getting to them meant kneeling in the puddles at the dump station and dumping was always a PITA.

I considered installing electric valves, but they were difficult to install, doing the exchange of the actual valves meant tearing apart the "perfectly functional plumbing that doesn't leak" and running power to that area "somehow" as well as then running the switches to a place they wouldn't get wet or damaged.....

I chose a easier and simpler route. I cut an access door in the J-wrap, directly in front of the dump valves so I could just open that door and the valves were easy to get to. For me, it seemed like a much easier to install and more functional solution. Plus, the cost was, in 2015 when I did it, about $30 rather than almost $600 in parts.

Here's a link to one type of access door and some photos of my installation, I have the 6.5x7.5 size.

https://www.amazon.com/LCGP-Electric...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VALVE DOOR 1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	42765   Click image for larger version

Name:	VALVE DOOR 2.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	42766  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
travelin texans

Typically if the original valve needs repaired you only replace the center gate portion, not cutting of the piping, remove 4 bolts & hopefully it seperates enough to get the center out.
If the electric ones require cutting piping you are opening a big 'Ole ugly can of worms as some there's very little piping to work with.
My last 5er with the cable pulls I opened the basement area & loosed where handles were attached & took several twist out of the cables where ran in couple figure 8s, afterwards they pulled much straighter & easier.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:38 PM   #8
fjr vfr

Couple good ideas above. I actually thought of doing something like the door John has. The cable pulls/pushes are very difficult so I plan on opening the bottom and inspecting the cables and valves anyway before deciding on the electric valves. Btw, I don't see the wiring as very difficult. I would have the area open, so running wires would not be much of an issue.
Below a couple links to examples.
John

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Va...iABEgIuuvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Barker-24130-...67465778&psc=1
fjr vfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #9
3wheeler

I replaced my black water cable valve with the Valterra electric valve about 7 years ago and it has worked flawlessly since. I have been wanting to replace my gray valves but haven't gotten around to it yet. My friend replaced his last spring and loves it.
2002 Goldwing trike
2012 EZ-GO 2Five
2014 Gem E4
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:18 PM   #10
sfem192

Hatch installed

I installed a six inch boat hatch onto the j-rail where the dump handles are located. The hatch was under $20 and have not lost the cover after four years use. It took about 30 minutes to install and works perfectly without having to get on my knees to operate the handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39FC0790-F659-4766-8723-E9399446E7B6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	42836   Click image for larger version

Name:	A60BBCB0-27FC-498E-B189-75386B1F807C.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	42838  
sfem192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags