Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #1
peanut

Sliding cargo trays?

I am considering installing sliding cargo trays in the pass thru of my Cougar 24RDS. Two questions:
1. How well does the Hyperdeck floor hold screws?
2. Any opinions on using one two way tray that would slide out either side vs two one way slides - - one for each side.

Thanks.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:02 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t know how well the floor will hold screws, but I would definitely use a single tray that slides both ways. If you don’t have room on one side the tray will pull out the other side a looong ways so you can reach the other end as I remember.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I am considering installing sliding cargo trays in the pass thru of my Cougar 24RDS. Two questions:
2. Any opinions on using one two way tray that would slide out either side vs two one way slides - - one for each side.

Thanks.
I made my own and have one on each side. Check out u tube search for rv sliding cargo tray. They can be purchased but are very expensive.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:03 AM   #4
ChuckS

Something to consider with any of the sliding tray setups for the cargo bay is: Dead Weight and cost.

They are nice but for me I use the clear see thru containers with lids with snap latches .. I can see whats in them and they are light weight and easy to handle

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:22 AM   #5
RickV

I put one in my previous 5ver was nice to be able to get to stuff in the middle with ease. I mounted 2 2x4's on each side to the floor and then mount the tray to them. I was able to slide a folding table underneath. Chuck is right about added weight though between the the 2x4s and the rack itself was probably 80+ lbs. The 3790FK is a storage monster, there are so many places to store stuff that the tray is not necessary.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:47 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Something to consider with any of the sliding tray setups for the cargo bay is: Dead Weight and cost.

They are nice but for me I use the clear see thru containers with lids with snap latches .. I can see whats in them and they are light weight and easy to handle
I do this as well. We had a FR trailer that had a one peice tray that I liked but it wasted some room IMO. I use the large plastic bins and for the ones in the center I use a boat hook to retrieve. I keep a 6' boat hook in the back of my truck to get things from the 8' bed with a cap on it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:48 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I know you're asking about sliding trays and I thought about them as well but IMO they had too much wasted space, things to go wrong/break/get out of adjustment etc. I carry 2 clear plastic totes with snap on, semi hinged lids that are maybe 4' long and around 24"? wide x 6" tall (Sterilite maybe). They have wheels on one end and the tops of each one are indented so the wheels can set in the bottom one when stacked - extremely convenient. They just roll/pull out/in. I also carry several more of the rectangular ones for various equipment and supplies. I found the rolling ones to be a good alternative for sliding trays for us.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:06 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I use laundry baskets. Easy to see what’s in what basket.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:26 PM   #9
vampress_me

We installed one of the sliding trays in our new camper when we got it. It’s one that can slide out either side. I do really like that feature. I do have to say, I never would have installed the tray in our Cougar X-Lite. The basement in our Cougar we not near as tall or wide as the basement in the Paradigm. I feel the tray would have wasted too much space in the Cougar. However, with the larger basement (taller and wider) in the Paradigm I do like the tray with what we can all put on it and still get to fairly easily. Most everything on there is in labeled totes stacked. This way we just pull out the tray to get to a tote packed in the middle instead of lifting out 4 or 5 totes to get to the one buried in the middle of the basement.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:21 PM   #10
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Sliding storage

Quote:

Thanks.
I made my own slide for my 3650RL. I made it half as deep as the pass through is so I can have sliding storage on one half and the open floor on the other half. The best of both uses. My slide leaves about 6 inches on either side of it when closed so I can still put things on the sides of it. I also installed a pull out storage box on each side under the camper and attached to the main frame along with a firewood storage box on the rear of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4734.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	42894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4725.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	42895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5689.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	42896  
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:23 AM   #11
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I made my own slide for my 3650RL.
All of your projects look so professional. That second photo of the tool box gives me another project idea. Something like that on the drivers side would be perfect for power cord and/or water hose storage.

Where did you source the drawer slides and the tool box? Was the metal cargo tray custom made?

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #12
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
All of your projects look so professional. That second photo of the tool box gives me another project idea. Something like that on the drivers side would be perfect for power cord and/or water hose storage.

Where did you source the drawer slides and the tool box? Was the metal cargo tray custom made?
Thanks for the compliment. We do fabricate quite a range of things that make my life easier. The fully electric central heat has sure been an effort saver in not having to take the tanks in to get refilled. We have camped through 3 winters and have just now used up the FIRST propane tank. Actually, I don't even know if my propane OEM furnace even works because I have never turned it on. I could not find the receipt on either of the items you asked about but I believe that I bought some heavy duty latching drawer slides that had something like a 400 pound rating.
The tool boxes are just "over the side" pickup boxes that I had to shorten to keep the bottom of them even or slightly above the leveling jacks for ground clearance. If I run across the invoices, I will post them. Yes, the drawer itself was custom made by me.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:03 PM   #13
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Storage Tray

Quote:

Thanks.
I found a better style storage box than I used on my Alpine. If I had to do it again, this one from Amazon is the one I would get. 49Lx13Wx10H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7425.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	42909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7423.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	42910  
Old 02-16-2023, 08:19 AM   #14
zalewskim

My Sprinter has basement doors on both sides, one of which is smaller than the other, I created two slides one narrower than the other. I have them sectioned and use clear storage containers. I store the containers logically by how I need acces to the items (one side is for mechanicals, the other for everyday camping items). I store my my Blackstone grille in the outer section of one slide.
zalewskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #15
Starfleetmarj

Be sure the tray locks do their job!

We had a 2-way tray that was installed at the factory on our fifth wheel, inside the front pass through storage cabinet. It had standard locking mechanisms that auto locked when shut. On one of our travels, as we went around a corner the locking mechanism let go and the tray slammed into door, popping it open and anything that was not in a container was thrown on to the ground. Thankfully we did not hit any cars with the 6' tray as we were just coming into a town with parked cars. My husband installed hitch pin locks through the tray wall and the drawer slider walls as soon as we got camped!! We had been on a very windy two lane mountain road just prior to coming into town. And I think the pressure of the multiple turns plus the weight of the items in the tray was too much for the simple lock mechanism installed.

He liked the sliding tray so much, he installed homemade trays in the back of the trailer on either side to hold water hoses and accessories in one and septic stuff in the other. There was so much wasted space under the back end of the toy hauler. He bought regular trailer doors and cut the walls of the skirt to install. Then welding up frame work for the slides. The trays were not very tall but enough room to hold septic hoses and such.
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote