Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I told myself I was not going to get into the "you have to have a diesel to tow an RV", "you don't know what you're doing if you have a gas truck" commentary again, but;

The OP asked one question; SRW or DRW. He stipulated he was going to get the 7.3. He has had previous diesels and KNOWS he wants the gas truck. His RV has a 10,400 gvw for crying out loud and he IS NOT going to go larger. Yet it seems the opportunity can't be wasted to extol the seemingly endless, wonderful virtues of a diesel engine vs gas - they each have their strengths and a gas engine CAN be used for towing despite some claims to the contrary. It might be a tad different if you were talking to someone that didn't have knowledge or experience but in this case you are simply questioning their judgement, experience and choice then belittling that choice because it doesn't fit the "diesel" preference.

OP I would go SRW and the 7.3 should be a "beast" towing that Cougar. JMO
The 7.3L is also a FIRST YEAR offering. There has been discussion as to whether a first year engine is a good idea. I am sure Ford would never offer an engine that hasn't had all the bugs worked out in its first year bwhahahaha (I have a 6.0L diesel for reference).
Why not a 6.2L as it costs less and has been around for quite awhile? Won't it drag a 10K lb trailer down the road adequately? OP! Why the 7.3L vs the 6.2?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

"gasoline 6.2-liter V-8 that makes 385 horsepower and 430 lb-ft of torque."

The 7.3L makes 430HP and 475lb. ft. of torque.

The 7.3 is a $1700 option over the 6.2. I would opt for it. As for "first year offering", who cares really? Do you wait until 2nd year? 5th year? Ever? Have there been duds offered by all manufacturers? Yes. You don't normally see that with a normal run of the mill big block gas engine. The 7.3 is a 445c.i. V8 - not new territory for any of the big 3.

Maybe the OP should justify buying the King Ranch, XLT, Platinum etc. etc. vs the XL, etc. etc. Hope he doesn't have to explain getting cloth instead of leather.

Sorry OP. I was quoted so responded but it was also directed to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #23
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"gasoline 6.2-liter V-8 that makes 385 horsepower and 430 lb-ft of torque."

The 7.3L makes 430HP and 475lb. ft. of torque.

The 7.3 is a $1700 option over the 6.2. I would opt for it. As for "first year offering", who cares really? Do you wait until 2nd year? 5th year? Ever? Have there been duds offered by all manufacturers? Yes. You don't normally see that with a normal run of the mill big block gas engine. The 7.3 is a 445c.i. V8 - not new territory for any of the big 3.

Maybe the OP should justify buying the King Ranch, XLT, Platinum etc. etc. vs the XL, etc. etc. Hope he doesn't have to explain getting cloth instead of leather.

Sorry OP. I was quoted so responded but it was also directed to you.
Thanks all for the opinions. As for diesel or gas I have had diesel since dodge first came out with it why back when. Later I changed to fords because family member worked for fords and they gave a hell of a family plan discount. I continued to purchased diesel f250 king ranch up till 2019 when I changed to gas. Reason diesel went up and maintenance cost in my area on diesel tripled all most. Cost of diesel option $ 10,000 upfront. Diesel in my area .20 - .30 + cents more per gallon. Maintenance went from $100.00 for oil change to almost $300.00 for oil, filters, tire rotation. Gasser 65.00 for same service. Sure diesel don’t change as often but in long run gasser is cheaper and pulling what I have gasser does fine. Currently pull with an f250 and no problems. Only reason thinking of a f350 is the price is not but a few hundred difference. Currently the only draw back is it would not be in till sometime in December. So will,give it more thought. As for a bigger 5th wheel it’s just be and the loving wife so 33 foot is plenty of room. Thanks again all that’s why I enjoy this group
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote