Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Smart tires ???

Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time.... Here's an article about Pirelli's new "smart tire" with sensors embedded in the sidewall. They do all that the typical TPMS does, plus will have the ability to "communicate" with not only the vehicle and the driver, but also with the manufacturer. Measuring tire pressure and temperature are similar to today's TPMS. These new "smart tires" also monitor miles driven, tire wear and vertical loading (short for weight load). While not yet available in anything but "high dollar vehicles", this is the way the flat screen TV was "only available in the most expensive models" and now is "the standard for all TV's....

It's only a matter of time before your ST tires (probably even China Bombs) will have the capacity to call LEO and inform them that you're towing a trailer that weighs more than your CANBUS (truck computer) rating.....

Big Brother or advancing technology ??? Hmmmmm Decide for yourself: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/pi...ws&date=072318

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
notanlines

It won't be long before Bombardier will know how fast you've run your new Can-Am when you bring it in for service...….uh, oh. Sorry....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
KimNTerry

I don't see a tire manufacturer (or any manufacturer really) calling Law Enforcement. The auto manufacturers could have been doing this for years. Instead they politely ask for a warrant when law enforcement wants data.

More likely the owners of the data will use the data for a variety of purposes in the quality, engineering, legal and marketing departments.

Quality and engineering presumably to make a better tire cheaper and faster. "Better, faster, cheaper" is the mantra in manufacturing.

Legal department so when they are sued for making an inferior product, they can (and will) defend themselves with hard data collected not just from thousands of tires on the road and in use, but the actual set of tires or individual tire that failed. (Your honor we would like to introduce exhibit A. These specific tires were in fact overloaded and under-inflated against the instructions provided in our manual. and Exhibit B the records for thousands of the same tire model and hundreds from the same lot operating safely and properly on the highway right now.)

Marketing so they can aggregate data about their consumers and better understand the market. This is the department that scares the most. They want everything, where you've been, what roads, how many passengers in the car, how long on the road, which gas stations and restaurants are stopped at, you name, the data appetite of the marketing department is NOT to be underestimated.

My main issue with the "Internet of Things" (IOT) /"Smart" products though is the security models used (or has been proven not used at all). Some "smart" products are actually vectors and open doors for less than respectable people with too much time on their hands. Poor security implementation in your "smart" tire leads to intrusion into your car's systems, your phone, your home wifi, you name it.

I try NOT to purchase "Smart" products. What I do with a product and how I use it is no one's business but my own.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
It won't be long before Bombardier will know how fast you've run your new Can-Am when you bring it in for service...….uh, oh. Sorry....
The Can-Am Spyder line-up of vehicles has gathered this type of data for the last ten year. RPM's, shift points, error codes, and a host of other information.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
notanlines

Frank, is there a Front Street Diner or something like that in Pemberville? I had a burrito some time back with friends in that area and it was superb.....
Who'd a thunk, Mexican in Ohio!
By the way, I was poking a little fun at John and his new purchase.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
Frank G

Quote:
Frank, is there a Front Street Diner or something like that in Pemberville? I had a burrito some time back with friends in that area and it was superb.....
Who'd a thunk, Mexican in Ohio!
By the way, I was poking a little fun at John and his new purchase.

I hope you enjoyed our little town, Yes the Front Street Café is alive and doing well. They do a Perch fry every Friday, we try not to miss that.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I hope you enjoyed our little town, Yes the Front Street Café is alive and doing well. They do a Perch fry every Friday, we try not to miss that.
OK, you had me at the word "perch". We were discussing what we wanted to do next year and thought we might make a run to MI and PA. Looks like OH and the Front Street Café will have to be on the agenda for a Friday. I do like perch, but then again, walleye, bass, crappie, catfish....you get the drift...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Jim,

Ours is a Polaris Slingshot, not a Can-Am. The first models were 2015's, so there's only 4 years of "big brother monitoring"... It was surprising to be asked how it runs at 96MPH.... Honestly, I thought I'd hit 100, but according to the computer, not so. Anyway, looks like Can-Am is watching as well

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
xrated

I'm kind of a "techie" type of fellow, but honestly, tech stuff can be used like many things....for good or evil. Personally, I don't necessarily like the "Nanny" approach that some manufacturers take with their products.......Let me decide how I want to use my <<<fill in the blank>>>.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
notanlines

John, I knew that, too. Looks like my weak attempt at a little humor sort of went astray.....I'll do better next time!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

It's all good, Jim. Just a PC thing: <Polaris/Can-Am>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
bobbecky

Personally, I think the minute word got out that a tire manufacturer was installing sensors in their tires and were monitoring the data mentioned, they would have a very hard time selling them. The technology is already out there, that the speed you are moving can be seen by monitoring your cell phone. That's how they can display info on traffic flow on the morning news programs, as they are gathering data on all the cell phones and how fast or slow they are moving. There isn't too much that the tech giants don't already know about us, so Big Brother is already here.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:55 AM   #13
Dave W

Oh my, sounds to me that 'Big Brother' (shades of Orwell's 1984) will eventually get into the act one more way. It thoroughly p@#$%^ me off that we need to own vehicles with 'black boxws'. Additionally that there are entities that can watch you through a computer mounted camera and monitor keystrokes from your keyboard. It also p@#$%^& me off that my Amazon Firestick and Alexa with or without the Echo Dot can monitor my conversations. Add in cell phones. pads and kindles and away go what we assumed were freedoms, guaranteed by the Constitution.

No, I don't wear a foil hat - we are as conventional as mashed potatos and totally non controversial. We so just go on with life even though we are no longer able to maintain any sort of private life (plug your name on the 'net and find out who you are.

Sorry - I'll put my soap box away now and get inconsequential again
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:04 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Just thinking out loud, if tires start containing electrical devices will states and the feds start charging higher disposal fees?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires