Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
papagreg13

Factory brake controller

2011 2500 HD
Factory installed controller vs. aftermarket?
papagreg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Integrated brake control has the advantage of already being installed so you save the expense. If you go aftermarket, then you have to mount the controller somewhere and most often it's below the dashboard, and may interfere with your legs. It may also be in a location that makes the display hard to see and manual operation may be a pain.

I have aftermarket only because integrated wasn't available in 1994. Since it's introduction, I'm sure IBC technology has advanced to the point that IF I was to buy a newer truck and it came with it, I wouldn't bother with aftermarket.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Factory controller is the way I would go. Having had both the factory controllers are now pretty good, plus, as Chuckster57 said, I never had an aftermarket in a place where I could see it well or keep my knee from wanting to whack it at times. Also, remember if you go aftermarket, many of the controllers are limited on the amount of angle they can have to operate properly so your dash configuration might come into play.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to The Forum From Western PA

Do you currently have an RV or are you setting up the TV for a future RV. purchase? If given an option of buying a truck with an intrgral brake controller or installing an after market. Would go with the built in for many of the reasons given in other posts
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You didn't say which tow vehicle you currently have and if you're planning to install a brake controller in that vehicle or if you're asking about buying the option on a new vehicle...

On some "newer" trucks you can get an OEM accessory brake controller for an existing truck. It will be the same as the factory installed brake controller and in most situations, it interfaces with the vehicles stability control and offers trailer sway control as well. I don't know of any "aftermarket" or "add-on" brake controllers that interface with the tow vehicles computer systems. If you're buying a new vehicle and have the option of ordering a brake controller, I'd strongly recommend getting it and consider it a "no brainer".

If you have the option, the factory controller will almost always give you the same or better function than an "add on" unit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagreg13 View Post
2011 2500 HD

I figured it was this TV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

"My bad".... I read the first post and immediately went into "CRS mode"....

Anyway, if there's not an OEM brake controller in the truck and one is available, I'd opt to pay the extra (if there is any extra) to have the OEM installed. As I said in my "CRS mode"... I don't know of any "aftermarket" or "add-on" brake controllers that will interface with the tow vehicle computer and offer sway control or stability control, so those features are only open to you with an OEM controller.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
the sodfather

No doubt, factory installed brake controllers are the way to go. I have many miles of towing with no controller (many years ago), old style aftermarket, the WAY much improved newer aftermarket controllers and the factory installed. I can tell you the factory installed is the way to go.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
MattHelm21

My vote is also factory. One of the main reason's we upgraded trucks was to get this option. We were having difficulty getting full output from our aftermarket setup in our older truck and finally ruled out everything but the truck's wiring. My truck dealer agreed to look at this but was unable to locate or correct the problem. With the factory unit, it will be covered under warrenty and later the dealer will be able to run full diagnostics from the unit to the trailer connector if needed.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #10
sconner

I've had the Tekonsha P3 and now a 2016 Silverado HD. It's not even close. The factory is smoother, more closely matches the truck in terms of braking power, and doesn't do the herkeydance if your boost is up past 0.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
busterbrown

99% of those towing would benefit from integrated brake controllers. There are a few of us that tow travel trailers with premium linkage-style hitches who benefit from aftermarket brake controllers due to their abilities to offer brake boost at highway speeds. Not to be confused with gain, brake boost allows the trailer brakes to engage quicker at speed as the "Hensley bump" can be a real awakening. I rented a 2016 GMC Yukon last year with IBC and it disn't have the boost option. I'm wondering if the any GM, Ford or Chrysler products offer multiple inputs outside of "gain" on current models. I've read on forums that some people had dealers disable their IBCs when using these premium hitches. That's my worry when I upgrade trucks in the near future.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #12
papagreg13

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your answers.
papagreg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Dave W

If you have a disc brake system/ actuator, and if you have a GM product, according to Hydrastar, the IBC wont operate it. Dexter and Titan actuators are also 'iffy' (read as no) according to conversations I had with etrailer and the manufacturers before I bought the Hydrastar for my mods.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If you have a disc brake system/ actuator, and if you have a GM product, according to Hydrastar, the IBC wont operate it. Dexter and Titan actuators are also 'iffy' (read as no) according to conversations I had with etrailer and the manufacturers before I bought the Hydrastar for my mods.
Excellent information to keep in the back of my mind.