Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
Mike484

Satillite TV

I am looking at buying a dish for DirectTV (this is our home service provider).

I have been told that you have to run a separate cable and that you cannot plug it into the side of your rig where you plug in for cable TV. Is this really correct? I would see where there may be connection changing you would have to do inside, like possily installing a switch to change the cable comeing in from your satillite reciever or directly to the RV reciever. I realize that if you want a second TV to recieve the sattilite, then you will have to run a second cable. Just dont want to run a bunch more cable through the trailer.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It depends on what coax was used for park "cable". Regular signal will travel fine on RG59 coax, satellite signal needs RG6. 59 is less expensive and is the common coax used for antenna and cable. I happen to have a separate coax to the main tv for satellite. Not hard to add if you have a little time and the crimp tool for the ends.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
jje1960

Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I am looking at buying a dish for DirectTV (this is our home service provider).

I have been told that you have to run a separate cable and that you cannot plug it into the side of your rig where you plug in for cable TV. Is this really correct? I would see where there may be connection changing you would have to do inside, like possily installing a switch to change the cable comeing in from your satillite reciever or directly to the RV reciever. I realize that if you want a second TV to recieve the sattilite, then you will have to run a second cable. Just dont want to run a bunch more cable through the trailer.
We have a dome on the SRX now, however when we used the outside dish for our Direct TV, it worked fine running into the standard cable connection into the unit.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
HANGAR

There are some other things you have to consider besides the type of coax that was installed by the factory for the cable input. Cable splitters don't work on satellite signals, the frequencies are very different. The TV booster in the RV can't be installed on the same line as the satellite signal. Depending on what type of coax was used by the factory, you might be able to make it work for a satellite signal...if you remove any and all splitters and completely bypass the TV booster. But then you've changed the layout to a "dedicated" sat line and you will not be able to watch over the air signals or plug into the park cable. I took the time to run a dedicated sat input. I can hook up my TV's to watch satellite, park cable, or over the air signals depending on where I'm at and the situation at hand. In today's world, having a dedicated cable input and a dedicated satellite input should be standard equipment. Time to set aside a weekend for another RV modification project!
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I am seeing dedicated sat line to main TV more often. Some even have separate to bedroom and basement. Even see A/B switches in high end Class A for choice between roof sat and portable sat dishes.

I installed a Travler in a fiver last month and since he also had solar, I could only run 2 separate coax into the RV, installed an A/B switch for basement and bedroom.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #6
Blackrock

My new rig has two coax connections, one for cable and sat on the outside rear. Had the same connections on the FR product I traded in this week. So yesterday morning I set up the direct receiver and got it all wired and plugged in and working no problem. I have a tap off my house dish that I can run to the trailer when parked at home.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote