Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
CUFFS054

New kind of stove/oven?

This was one of those ads at the top of the page. The "slide-in" oven cooktop looks neat. Anyone seen one?

http://www.apollohalftimeoven.com/RV_Models.html
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
rough rider

I think that would beat the crude out of the junk microwave that comes with most units. My wife and love convection over standard microwave unfortunately I do not see keystone going the extra mile to make this standard or an option, it is ashame. What else is ashame is that Keystone does not even care enough about their customer base to pat attention to these forums to see what potential customers would like to see, kinda makes you wonder.
rough rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
theeyres

We put a similar unit into our fiver when full-timing and it was great. Hardly ever fired up the oven and it became a great storage place. I didn't find the half-time feature very useful. I think it is mostly hype. We just used either microwave or convection most of the time.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough rider View Post
I think that would beat the crude out of the junk microwave that comes with most units. My wife and love convection over standard microwave unfortunately I do not see keystone going the extra mile to make this standard or an option, it is ashame. What else is ashame is that Keystone does not even care enough about their customer base to pat attention to these forums to see what potential customers would like to see, kinda makes you wonder.
we looked at replacing the microwave with a convection. What we found is that most convection microwaves are WAY to deep to fit into virtually any cabinet, including typical RV cabinets. Then we realized we very very seldom ended up being able to run the microwave anyway since we dry camp so the gas stove and oven are what are most important to us. In fact we very seldom even use the microwave, means starting up the generator anyway.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
we looked at replacing the microwave with a convection. What we found is that most convection microwaves are WAY to deep to fit into virtually any cabinet, including typical RV cabinets. Then we realized we very very seldom ended up being able to run the microwave anyway since we dry camp so the gas stove and oven are what are most important to us. In fact we very seldom even use the microwave, means starting up the generator anyway.
You do make a good point. We were full-timing so the convection oven made good sense because we do enjoy baked goods as well as casseroles. We also wanted a bigger oven than the tiny microwave space for baking so did modify the opening to put in a bigger combination unit. Sure wouldn't be worth it if you dry camp mostly. In fact, now that we are off the road and bought a small trailer and use it for short trips, we are not putting in a convection oven.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
curlyfungirl

Our Montana came with a convect/micro as well as the stupid gas oven. The Convection oven works head over heels with baking and cooking roasts. I don't know why they even bother with the gas ranges any more. I think the brand they put in is Frigidaire? I would have preferred no gas oven and instead, have had a dishwasher installed under the sink. Hint Hint Hint Keystone.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfungirl View Post
Our Montana came with a convect/micro as well as the stupid gas oven. The Convection oven works head over heels with baking and cooking roasts. I don't know why they even bother with the gas ranges any more. I think the brand they put in is Frigidaire? I would have preferred no gas oven and instead, have had a dishwasher installed under the sink. Hint Hint Hint Keystone.
You have to remember that not everyone who owns an RV always camps at sites with full hookups. A fair number of RVer's, including myself, enjoy camping at places where they don't have electricity, water and sewer and we rely on propane not only for our HW heater but also the stove oven when we would like to use it. For us, the gas oven is a desirable rather than a "stupid" feature and we are glad that it is available.

We not only have a propane oven but also a two-legged, 100% energy efficient dishwasher who doesn't reside under the sink. Me.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Steve S

I would never give up gas, it's the best way to cook. All the high end restaurants that I was a chef in around the world everything was gas.
The first thing that I changed on my house was the stoves and went with gas.
Some people hate washing dishes, I find it therapeutic but to each their own
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote