Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2023, 05:13 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Weird Keystone Floorplan?

Mobile dog groomers in mind?

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:38 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Well..... Space in an RV is at a premium. I personally would never spend the money, and more importantly, waste the space for a dog washing area. I do think it will probably have a small percentage of people that would love it but it won't be mainstream. I give kudos to Keystone for trying to think outside the box and trying to find a floorplan that might be beneficial for some owners. I figure this will go the way of many other floorplans that proved to be not so popular, but then again...?

I will say I liked the sales guy. It is a rarity to see one go over the weight placard, speak to truck payload, discuss axle ratings, the TK tires, reinforced shackles etc. - very rare - and refreshing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:21 AM   #3
Max23

Totally agree, wouldn't work for me. It looks as though they took a lot of space away from the master bedroom to make that pet area. Give me the bedroom space! Main area was impressive, bedroom not so much. Left wanting.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:26 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

That model was introduced last year and on the Keystone website, it is currently listed as "Stock Only" which means it has been discontinued and the only ones available are the ones that are currently on dealer lots. No more will be produced.....

Of even more interest to me is a fourth "Cougar line" which has been added. The Cougar Sport line. It's listed as, "the Cougar brand in a smaller, lighter package."

It's available in two floorplans, neither has any specifications listed, but one is similar to the 23MLS but without some of the "frills" and missing the bedroom closet slide. I'd guess it will be similar in length, about 500 pounds lighter with 300-400 pounds lighter pin weight. The other is a new bunkhouse floorplan that claims to sleep 10. It also does not have the bedroom slide., so will be much lighter than current models.

It seems that Keystone is "testing the waters" with new offerings in "ultra-light Cougar fifth wheels" (lighter than the Half Ton line) and also in a fourth Arcadia line, the Arcadia Super Lite (apparently to replace the Arcadia Half Ton) and, it looks like the Arcadia fifth wheel line is being phased out. So some "rearranging from a marketing perspective" for Arcadia as well.

But the Cougar Sport line reminds me of the older Prowler, Forrester and Woodland fifth wheels. The 20-25' "crawl into bed" trailers with a slightly taller bedroom.

I may have missed it when I was looking, but I didn't see the In-Command screen on either of the Cougar Sport floorplans, so maybe Keystone is deleting that system from some of the less expensive trailers that currently have it installed ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
wegone

This is the newest fad in homes too.....
I have plumbed in many new homes recently that have dog wash stations, some as big as your average bathroom.
It strikes me as odd that we have a homeless issue, yet folks have so much wealth they can designate an entire room and spend 10's of thousands to wash their dogs
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #6
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
This is the newest fad in homes too.....
I have plumbed in many new homes recently that have dog wash stations, some as big as your average bathroom.
It strikes me as odd that we have a homeless issue, yet folks have so much wealth they can designate an entire room and spend 10's of thousands to wash their dogs
I have a family member that built a new house and put in a dog washing area. That said, I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!! P.S. You have extra room under that chair to hide, I may need to share! LOL
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

I will say I liked the sales guy. It is a rarity to see one go over the weight placard, speak to truck payload, discuss axle ratings, the TK tires, reinforced shackles etc. - very rare - and refreshing.
He puts out some really good "review" videos on YouTube.
He isn't an RV salesman.

https://www.youtube.com/@BTBRV

"Description

My channel is focused on providing honest, real, and credible reviews of new Pickup trucks, SUVs, RVs, and Accessories. My goal is to give my viewers a better perspective of buying as well as owning trucks and RVs.

Big Truck Big RV (BTBRV) is an opinionated YouTube Channel that may provide personal suggestions and recommendations on various topics, but you should, and must, do your own research. This channel for entertainment and general viewing purposes only. BTBRV also participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites."
Old 01-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
He puts out some really good "review" videos on YouTube.
He isn't an RV salesman.

https://www.youtube.com/@BTBRV

"Description

My channel is focused on providing honest, real, and credible reviews of new Pickup trucks, SUVs, RVs, and Accessories. My goal is to give my viewers a better perspective of buying as well as owning trucks and RVs.

Big Truck Big RV (BTBRV) is an opinionated YouTube Channel that may provide personal suggestions and recommendations on various topics, but you should, and must, do your own research. This channel for entertainment and general viewing purposes only. BTBRV also participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites."

Saw the little blurb about BTBRV at the beginning of the video but didn't give it much thought. When he said who he was at such and such RV place in Rockport I figured he was a sales guy. I'm surprised they let him come in and start critiquing their inventory.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #9
InkedMarie

I admit I’m the crazy dog lady. While I’m physically unable to bathe my dogs, I know many that do. I know someone who did rescue. She had a whole basement area for them with a pet friendly tub.

I know people who show dogs who travel in RV’s. I bet they’d love something like this.

I’m not going to argue about being able to afford luxuries or the homeless but I will say that if people can afford a dog friendly area/tub in their home or their RV, that is their business, no one else’s.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedMarie View Post
I admit I’m the crazy dog lady. While I’m physically unable to bathe my dogs, I know many that do. I know someone who did rescue. She had a whole basement area for them with a pet friendly tub.

I know people who show dogs who travel in RV’s. I bet they’d love something like this.

I’m not going to argue about being able to afford luxuries or the homeless but I will say that if people can afford a dog friendly area/tub in their home or their RV, that is their business, no one else’s.
Thought the dog wash area in an RV was focused on a pretty narrow market. I love my wife and my wife loves dogs and we currently only have 7 but are house sitting Napa Earl, my sister's beagle. We have teeny tiny dogs and a huge dog (1/2 Pyrenees and 1/2 St. Bernard). Biggest dog's name is Presley and I bet you can guess what else my wife is crazy about. I like cats myself...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:49 AM   #11
German Shepherd Guy

Interesting. Kudos to Keystone designers for trying to satisfy what is a very small demand segment. As John noted they have already stopped production so must figure the units made are adequate to fill that demand.
There are some dog show people who have limited number of dogs and show just for the camaraderie and the fun of dog showing. And I could see if you had one to three small dogs that this could be, sometimes, useful. Many dog shows however are dry camping, so water for bathing dogs is usually away from the campers.

The space would definitely not work for dog grooming on some commercial scale as it is just too small. A German Shepherd in there would fill it with hair and fur in about a minute after the the shower was done.
When we were seriously on the road showing our GSDs we at times had up to 17. A space in the house, dedicated to grooming, health care, whelping, was a must. Easy to clean, was a must. Built in vacuums and blowers was a must. I know many people who have such rooms. No different than horse people who have stables nicer than most folks houses. But as dogs are by their nature loud, a space inside the house is also a must, just out of consideration for your neighbors. Our nearest neighbor is a half mile away and we would still do it this way so that they would not be subjected to the noise of German Shepherds in packs.
I have a bumper sticker that says "Good Neighbor Policy: Obedience Train Your Dog!" Good grooming is a part of good obedience training. So that is why at least some people, Eddie and Max, have indoor pet areas.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:05 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I've been following Big Truck Big RV (BTBRV) on YouTube for years. He's consistent with everything he does, and I think he really does try to present an honest picture of what to expect out of every RV he show cases. He is good at pointing out the negatives.

His video about, is this camper really 1/2 ton towable is spot on. He talks about weights and is a straight shooter. I watched one just yesterday, about double towing and what actually happens when that weight is placed on the end of hitch on the end of a trailer or fifth wheel. No one else, I've found on YouTube or anywhere on the internet, presented an honest and straight presentation like he does.

Yep, Big Truck Big RV is a great YouTube channel.

Just as an FYI, when I remodeled our laundry room in the house a few years ago, I installed a farmer's wash basin (sink) in the room. We call it our "dog washing" station. I installed the sink with the sole purpose of washing the dog. And since I built the cabinet myself, I made it a very comfortable height for my wife, so when she is prepping laundry, it fits her height without any straining, bending or reaching. It's also a comfortable height for me, washing muddy shoes, washing greasy hands, and cleaning tools and such. The intent may have been for the dog, but used for a lot more than the dog.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:44 AM   #13
jsb5717

I agree with his assessment that the mud room/dog wash station is a cool, unique idea. I can see it being very practical for a small cross-section of RV buyers. And that's the surprise to me. Why would any major brand commit a production line to such a niche market? They must have calculated a stronger response when they introduced it but were quickly disappointed.

Yep, not for me either. If I'm going to buy a longer, heavier trailer it would be to gain other features...not a mud room. I guess I'm not part of the niche market. Plus we can wash our 7lb dog in the kitchen sink...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, keystone