Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Fitz

Larger Tires

Hi, I'm looking at replacing my tow rig. It is currently an '05 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab short bed, 2500 with the Cummins and auto trans. Since I've had the Cougar 5'er it has had stock size tires, no lift.

A truck I am interested in buying is a little different setup - a '10 Ram 2500 regular cab long bed with the Cummins and 6-speed manual. This one has a 2" level in the front, plus it has 35" tires (load range E).

My question is if you guys think I'd have any issue towing the Cougar with the truck sitting a bit higher. It is not much higher, but I can tell the difference hopping into this truck vs. mine.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I think the difference you will find are two fold. If the tires are oversized and not the originalsize it will change the gearing of the truck. Number two the larger the tire typically equates to more sidewall flex which means more side to side movement, sway.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Canonman

My recommendation would be to measure twice and cry once. If you measure from the ground to the bed of the new truck and compare that to the same measurement on the old truck it will tell you how much higher the nose on your Cougar will be. Remember 2 or 3 inches at the pin will make a big difference 30' back at the bumper. (I'm sure there's math for that but I don't know the formula)
I personally think the Cougar sits a little close to the ground as it is and I'd like more clearance.
My Ram has FWD and that makes it sit a bit taller, but I've lowered the Anderson ball and raised the Cougar pin box and I'm still nose high. Have not drug the Cougar bumper yet but I'm pretty aware and careful of how I enter and exit driveways and access ways. Would like to have the Cougar raised but the cost is $1250 at a local fabrication shop so the DW has put a halt to that idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5643.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	17576  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
Fitz

Thanks for the input. I'll measure the two.

Forgot to mention, both trucks are 4WD. I also run an Andersen hitch and have always run the ball in it's lowest position.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
My recommendation would be to measure twice and cry once. If you measure from the ground to the bed of the new truck and compare that to the same measurement on the old truck it will tell you how much higher the nose on your Cougar will be. Remember 2 or 3 inches at the pin will make a big difference 30' back at the bumper. (I'm sure there's math for that but I don't know the formula)
I personally think the Cougar sits a little close to the ground as it is and I'd like more clearance.
My Ram has FWD and that makes it sit a bit taller, but I've lowered the Anderson ball and raised the Cougar pin box and I'm still nose high. Have not drug the Cougar bumper yet but I'm pretty aware and careful of how I enter and exit driveways and access ways. Would like to have the Cougar raised but the cost is $1250 at a local fabrication shop so the DW has put a halt to that idea.
Couldn't help myself from responding to this one. Your DW obviously is not aware of how much "Canon" camera gear costs these days! I always enjoy your photos you add along with your posts! Keep up the good work!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
travelin texans

Not sure why you'd want a standard cab over the quad cab & why you'd want to shift gears while towing? Neither of those options sound like an upgrade to me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires