Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
pkemmerlin

No Picture when Dvd is Playing

I picked up my 2012 Cougar HC today. When we did the walk through with the tech I noticed that three RCA plugs laying behind (White, Red and Yellow) the TV and when I ask the tech why they were not plugged in he said they were for adding a DVD Player. We tried to play a DVD we had sound but not picture. I pluged the 3 RCA plugs in and still no picture. I changed the input settings and still nothing. I have a Jensen DVD/CD/Radio and a Vizio TV. On more thing there were two jacks plugged into the TV.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Jim W

I am not sure if this will help or not. I had very similar issue the first time I tried to play a DVD, with my set-up which is similar to yours. I found out that you need to change the input signal to the TV. Camper is in storage, so this is from my memory. Using your remote click the menu or input signal, this should bring up a menu on the TV that allows you to choose TV, Video signal 1/2, HMDI and so forth. I have to choose Video signal 2 and then the DVD will play. When the DVD is over I need to change back to a TV signal to watch the TV with either the over air signal or satellite.
Hope this helps?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
f6bits

Where does the sound come from? In my setup, the TV doesn’t play sound through the stereo – it’s independent from the stereo when in TV mode and has its own speakers. DVD plays sound through the stereo, so Jim’s instructions are similar to what I have to do.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
MILBY

We have a 327RES and had to have the radio/dvd/cd player changed cause it would not play dvd's at all
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Dvd

Yes, you need to select "menu" or "source" on the remote and move to another of the selections as Jim has stated. I also have the RV away from home so I cannot access it to be more precise. Tip; when you do reach that point, wait a few seconds on each selection for the TV to receive the signal from the DVD player.

Have patience and you will find the key

Also, once you find it, WRITE IT DOWN for next time.

Chances of having faulty player or something mechanical is not likely.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkemmerlin View Post
I picked up my 2012 Cougar HC today. When we did the walk through with the tech I noticed that three RCA plugs laying behind (White, Red and Yellow) the TV and when I ask the tech why they were not plugged in he said they were for adding a DVD Player. We tried to play a DVD we had sound but not picture. I pluged the 3 RCA plugs in and still no picture. I changed the input settings and still nothing. I have a Jensen DVD/CD/Radio and a Vizio TV. On more thing there were two jacks plugged into the TV.
The Vizio most likely has two sets of RCA type jack connections, component and composite. Red - Blue - Green and Red - White - Yellow. It sounds to me as if you have the R-W-Y from the DVD player plugged into the R-B-G on the tv. The connections you want are marked L - R - Video in. If these don't work check to see if the yellow video jack has come loose on the dvd player. ( 4 screws to remove it)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
JimEli

We had a similar problem on our 321RES. On the Vizio, the antenna/cable/sat comes in through the coaxial cable. The Jensen DVD feeds through the triple RCA jack. The audio cable is to back-feed the TV audio to the Jensen via the Aux1 input.

TV & DVD audio from the Jensen sounds real good.

On the Vizio use the input “AV” for the DVD, and “TV” for antenna/cable/sat. Further select “Antenna” or “Cable” on the TV tuner for the respective source. And for the antenna remember to turn on the booster switch in the bedroom.

Now for the good stuff.

The cable will catch when raising and lowering the TV. Our yellow RCA cable end was damaged from being yanked out and our Vizio's coaxial connector was bent. We couldn't get a DVD picture either. This probably explains why your cable was found on the ground.

It required removal of the Jensen (bevel snaps off then remove 4 screws) and replacement of the RCA cable. I suggest careful routing of those wires & cable with generous use of zip ties.

While you have the Jensen out, uncoil the FM radio antenna and route it behind the back cabinetry for better reception too.

You will discover that “attention to detail” is very lacking at Keystone.
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
pkemmerlin

I found the problem!

The reason the RCA Cables were not hooked up was because the center prong was broke off on all 3 cables. My husband and I change out the cables and it is working. Thank you for your help.