Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #41
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
62F right a this moment. Cruz is a great representative of our state because he bucks PC and the rising tide of... well not to go political but will say I bought a new battery for my Champion generator (it is tiny and 7AH) and a new carburetor. I will be trying to figure out how to change the oil (will have to life the generator to allow some downward for old oil coming out) and hope I don't have to use the darn thing. Was thinking about buying a second generator as a backup as this one failed me when I needed it most.

Yes there will be finger wagging and a couple heads will roll but does govt ever really make changes for the better? Not if they cost votes or money.
You must have a nicer Champion than me, mine is pull start only.

I checked mine out, yesterday, checked the oil - it was full and looks pretty clean, 282 total run hours on it, probably 60+ added the last few days, added Stabil to the gas can and filled the tank up prior to loading it back into the shed, gave it a pull and it started on the first on, let it run for 10 minute, shut the fuel off and put it away for the next time.

I am really happy with this thing.

-Brian
Old 02-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #42
jasin1

Quote:
62F right a this moment. Cruz is a great representative of our state because he bucks PC and the rising tide of... well not to go political but will say I bought a new battery for my Champion generator (it is tiny and 7AH) and a new carburetor. I will be trying to figure out how to change the oil (will have to life the generator to allow some downward for old oil coming out) and hope I don't have to use the darn thing. Was thinking about buying a second generator as a backup as this one failed me when I needed it most.

Yes there will be finger wagging and a couple heads will roll but does govt ever really make changes for the better? Not if they cost votes or money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
You must have a nicer Champion than me, mine is pull start only.

I checked mine out, yesterday, checked the oil - it was full and looks pretty clean, 282 total run hours on it, probably 60+ added the last few days, added Stabil to the gas can and filled the tank up prior to loading it back into the shed, gave it a pull and it started on the first on, let it run for 10 minute, shut the fuel off and put it away for the next time.

I am really happy with this thing.

-Brian
If you guys have the same model champion I have,I would go ahead and order a gas shutoff valve from Amazon ..it was only a couple of bucks.. mine leaked from sitting and when i finally used it was dripping... nice to have on hand..that and I bought a replacement pull starter
Old 02-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #43
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
If you guys have the same model champion I have,I would go ahead and order a gas shutoff valve from Amazon ..it was only a couple of bucks.. mine leaked from sitting and when i finally used it was dripping... nice to have on hand..that and I bought a replacement pull starter
I always stop mine with the fuel shut-off, no issues so far, how much was the spare?

The spare pull cord might be a good idea too.

-Brian
Old 02-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #44
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I always stop mine with the fuel shut-off, no issues so far, how much was the spare?

The spare pull cord might be a good idea too.

-Brian
I purchased something like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13C427F2-19D7-4363-BBA3-880173251921.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	32090   Click image for larger version

Name:	5966AB32-7046-4CD1-BFAC-F1A6B968C336.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	32091   Click image for larger version

Name:	8FBF5217-C18B-46FE-83B0-2125D3D995E5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	32092  
Old 02-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #45
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Try tightening the shut off valve and see if that cures it. Mine has done the same thing to me before and tightening it worked.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #46
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
Try tightening the shut off valve and see if that cures it. Mine has done the same thing to me before and tightening it worked.

Griz
I tried it. I think if I remember I tried replacing the oring as well but couldn’t get it to stop dripping
Old 02-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #47
Ibdagriz

Quote:

Cleaning the carb would probably fix the problem from sitting and Stabil will help it from getting gunked up.

Griz
Old 02-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #48
wiredgeorge

I rebuild motorcycle carburetors for a living so the little genny carb isn't much of a challenge; the problem is there is a solenoid that electronically moves up and down and the one in my current carburetor sticks I believe and would allow the generator to start when needed during the storm outages. To compound things, the plug got flooded/fouled and when the weather cleared, got the generator started as the power came on after three days. Here is a blurb from the internet and note the solenoid is not a stand alone component that can be purchased:

The solenoid receives a charge when you turn the ignition which activates the small electromagnet inside and completes the circuit, turning on the carburetor. This allows you to start the vehicle because the carburetor is ready to start mixing the fuel and air combination that makes the engine turn on.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #49
jasin1

Quote:
I rebuild motorcycle carburetors for a living so the little genny carb isn't much of a challenge; the problem is there is a solenoid that electronically moves up and down and the one in my current carburetor sticks I believe and would allow the generator to start when needed during the storm outages. To compound things, the plug got flooded/fouled and when the weather cleared, got the generator started as the power came on after three days. Here is a blurb from the internet and note the solenoid is not a stand alone component that can be purchased:

The solenoid receives a charge when you turn the ignition which activates the small electromagnet inside and completes the circuit, turning on the carburetor. This allows you to start the vehicle because the carburetor is ready to start mixing the fuel and air combination that makes the engine turn on.
Those things are a pain ... I have one on one of my riding mowers that had a short in the wire where it ran under the motor..it was worn and every now and then it would contact metal and shut the solenoid off.. then it would fire right back up and run fine for a day.. finally found the bad wire
Old 02-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #50
Ibdagriz

Those are a real pain in the butt. 46 years on scoots teaches you all you wanna know about carbs.

Griz