Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #21
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
When towing, especially in city traffic, I have always & will continue to, legal or not, drive in the left lane until the idiots figure out how to merge/exit the highway.
I think it is legal to drive in any and all lanes in the cities, just not on the open roads. Imagine the traffic jams if only the right lane was utilized!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #22
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I concur, when there are three lanes then I also prefer lane two. This lets me avoid those merging onto, and off of the freeway. It is not unusual on the multilane freeways for the right lane to turn into an exit only lane and lead to some scrambling to move over. I often drive 40-50 miles out of my way to bypass Dallas for this reason and don't get me started on Southern California freeways!
I live on Vancouver Island and will become a snowbird in the fall of 2023. I will NOT go anywhere near LA, plan is to turn off at Bakersfield and take I40 before turning south again at Needles onto 95. Before that in 2021 we will do a round the US and Canada one year trip. Hope to spend a decent amount of time in Texas basically in November 2021 for a month, so any tips would be appreciated.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #23
CedarCreekWoody

"Hope to spend a decent amount of time in Texas basically in November 2021 for a month, so any tips would be appreciated."

We'll keep the lights on for you! November should be a great time to visit. Weather is usually good that time of year. Do be aware there is a lot difference between north and south Texas so plan carefully.
Andersen hitch
Old 01-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #24
gearhead

I'll drive in the left lane if the right is all beat up from truck traffic.
Y'all be careful when you come down here. We have a lot of roads with 75MPH speed limits, not just interstates but 2 lane state roads as well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
"Hope to spend a decent amount of time in Texas basically in November 2021 for a month, so any tips would be appreciated."

We'll keep the lights on for you! November should be a great time to visit. Weather is usually good that time of year. Do be aware there is a lot difference between north and south Texas so plan carefully.
Uh oh, which ones are the white hats?
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #26
Justvisiting2day

Back roads vs interstate

Quote:
I think it is legal to drive in any and all lanes in the cities, just not on the open roads. Imagine the traffic jams if only the right lane was utilized!
UNTIL ya get in California.
Then it is a right hand lane on all free ways unless the road is a 2 lane, The you'd best get in the right lane unless you are passing ONLY.
I stopped driving in CAL. 2 years ago, their roads and highways are crap, and fuel costs more.

Love TX.
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #27
CedarCreekWoody

In California the motorcycles driving in between the lanes of traffic blow my mind (and nerves!)
Andersen hitch
Old 01-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #28
linux3

U.S. routes like US 30 and US 5 and such are truck routes and many are divided and clearance is fine.
We much prefer US routes but that's just us.

In NY state the law is "slower traffic keep right" and "keep right except to pass". However, I do wish it was enforced more.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #29
rhagfo

While towing on interstates is easier, straighter, gentler hills easy to pass, I still like driving on secondary highways, I have the TV with the necessary power to keep up with traffic.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #30
Roscommon48

Don't over think your travels. Using 3 or more tools to figure out what route? Too much.

Driving always has risks.

Do both ways in driving, the interstate and the 'back roads' ....enjoy life.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #31
kksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'll drive in the left lane if the right is all beat up from truck traffic.
Y'all be careful when you come down here. We have a lot of roads with 75MPH speed limits, not just interstates but 2 lane state roads as well.
Couldn’t agree more! Here in the south I95 Georgia,Carolinas, Florida the right lane will destroy your trailer and your kidneys when driving the truck w/o trailer.
I have gotten a lot of one finger waves while towing in the left lane even though I relax my normal 70 MPH limit and increase my speed based on conditions....
Old 01-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #32
gearhead

Yeah I don't care either. It's easy enough to pass either side. Cops don't like it...ehh..start writing that ticket.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Well, I've never driven in a metro area that only had 2 lanes in one direction that had multiple access roads come into it that I recall. In the metro areas I avoid the right lane simply due to all the congestion from ins and outs of folks and their complete ignorance of how to merge or exit - I try to stay at least one lane over but will not pull my trailer in the "fast", right lane. When not towing that's where I am and know how I feel about folks just sitting there congesting everything when there are 2-4 other lanes.

Sonofcy - TX is a huge state with a lot of stuff to see. 1 month won't give you much time. Study things and see if you want coastal areas, central TX (rolling hills) area or what. Some folks want to "experience" far S TX. Know what you are doing if you choose that. A couple from W VA camped beside us for a month and left for Brownsville, TX. Wanted to "look around" and go across the border. I warned them. S TX is no longer a "fun" place to go and venture into Mexico - another family shot up today. There are places that are OK and fairly safe but the cartels are in another turf battle and most anything can get caught up in it.

Coastal areas are nice in the Padre Island, Galveston, Corpus areas. I love central TX particularly. I avoid Austin; it has changed drastically in the last 30 years becoming more like a TX version of San Francisco. Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Marble Falls....those are worth visiting and checking out, and a lot of country. German sausage, BBQ brisket....it don't get no better!

As far as white hats? All true, bona fide Texans wear them but we have had lots of "immigrants" from all over come in and sort of distort what that used to mean....but you'll know a true Texan when you meet them; they'll give you the shirt off their back. Come on down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #34
gearhead

I think the reference to the difference in north Texas and south Texas was regarding geography and weather and not the difference in people, I hope.
I'll second the danger of the border and going across to Mexico. This is a whole different world than crossing from Canada to the US. It's been 4 or 5 years since I spent time in Laredo but living on the border has quite a bit of "edge" to it. Crossing into Mexico has quite a bit of dumb to it. In my opinion. Living on the edge has a bit of a constant heightened awareness to it though.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #35
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Here in Texas, and I presume many other states, it is illegal to drive in the left lane. It is designated for passing only. It isn't always enforced but I wish it was. Forcing people to use the right lane for passing gets dangerous as they drive into blind spots.
Not to be argumentative but the Hill Country the left lane (passing) lane is for senior citizens and stubborn folk wanting to go 45 mph on a divided highway and city folk who want to go 95 mph. Honest folk try their best to stay far far away from divided highways. On a two lane, it is considered customary to pull out in front of an on coming vehicle as long as you are pretty sure they won't hit you and go 35 mph and then pull over to the shoulder to let the other party pass and both parties will typically wave at each other.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I think the reference to the difference in north Texas and south Texas was regarding geography and weather and not the difference in people, I hope.
I'll second the danger of the border and going across to Mexico. This is a whole different world than crossing from Canada to the US. It's been 4 or 5 years since I spent time in Laredo but living on the border has quite a bit of "edge" to it. Crossing into Mexico has quite a bit of dumb to it. In my opinion. Living on the edge has a bit of a constant heightened awareness to it though.
My sister lives in Tennessee and came here with hubby last year with her camper in tow and stayed in a local camp ground. She had heard of cheap Mexican dentists (compared to US) and went over the border at Del Rio to Ciudad Acuna and it took her through a bunch of vagrants massed at the border crossing and hours to get back over the border. She was uncomfortable about being there due to all the transient folks concentrated in the area. Personal security is a big concern these days. You also have to have a passport and go through a bunch of ICE checkpoints on Hwy 90 here in the US which hold up traffic. There are a number of different little Mexican towns in the valley which cater to US citizens needing dental work that would have been a better choice. My sister did eventually get her new dentures which didn't fit and had to be tossed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #37
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Yes, the north/south reference was regarding weather. While the border area can be dangerous the vast majority of the state is safe and filled with great people!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

George much the same ion the east coast but they use an "abbreviated" wave. They only use one finger, the other four are held down with the thumb. Now being Scots Irish I know the history of this gesture so I guess I'm stunned at the number of Irish archers out here (look it up).

I've found over here on the east side folks learn at an early age not to follow any vehicle larger than theirs, i.e. they MUST past you no matter the speed, then immediatly after cutting you off they quickly slow down to their previous speed (often close to 1/2 the posted).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #39
Northofu1

You drive at 55 or 60 middle lane, they will pass you. Finger, no finger, smile at the dashcam. Canadian insurance is a wonderful thing. ��

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #40
CWtheMan

US Highways

For nearly five years we were, sort of, nomadic RV travelers. During that time about 75% of our travels was on US, state or county roads and highways. We had no time constraints so we just pointed it down the highway and went. Surprisingly it was not hard to find places to stay and we're spoiled FHU users.

Probably the longest continuous highway trip was on US2. The most scenic would be a tossup but CA46 in the CA wine country is beautiful. The most boring could be US95 from Carson City to Las Vegas. You have to be careful in central Canada because of all that oil reserve country. There is almost always some highway construction areas. One time we took CDN/83 back into the USA and the last 10-15 miles into ND was all rutted dirt. We got a site at a military CG in Minot where we could wash the trailer.

The best adventure in nomadic traveling is the unexpected.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote