Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
chunker

Secret??? to posting pictures

I've tried to post a photo of the new toy hauler but it kept coming out upside down. I took the photo with my phone, attached it to an email to myself and saved to photo file on computer, apple iMac. Photo is correct on computer but ended upside down when attached to a posting. I duplicated the photo on the computer and flipped it upside down and tried attaching that one. Same result it's upside down. Can't find a way in editing the message to rotate it.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:49 AM   #2
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I've tried to post a photo of the new toy hauler but it kept coming out upside down. I took the photo with my phone, attached it to an email to myself and saved to photo file on computer, apple iMac. Photo is correct on computer but ended upside down when attached to a posting. I duplicated the photo on the computer and flipped it upside down and tried attaching that one. Same result it's upside down. Can't find a way in editing the message to rotate it.
I've had similar issues. I solve it by using PAINT on the PC (I'm sure Mac has something similar - if not better) and rotating the picture, then setting it back properly oriented and saving it. Then uploading and previewing; this seems to solve the issue.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

It would be nice if the forum software provided editing tools. I think the admins can do limited editing but I've not found a way myself.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

The forum software will only post photos in a landscape orientation. If you take your picture in a portriat orientation it will rotate it 90 deg. Use a picture editing tool to rotate and then add a white border on each side to make it wider than it is tall and try it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The forum software will only post photos in a landscape orientation. If you take your picture in a portriat orientation it will rotate it 90 deg. Use a picture editing tool to rotate and then add a white border on each side to make it wider than it is tall and try it.
Thanks the problems have been with phone pictures I copy to the computer. In this case the forum posting flipped my pictures 180 degrees not 90. I'll take my antiquated camera, take some pictures and transfer them to the computer and see how that works.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It would be nice if the forum software provided editing tools. I think the admins can do limited editing but I've not found a way myself.
You can edit your own posts. Go to the post in question, click on the EDIT tab, then at the bottom of the "gray box" click on "GO ADVANCED", make your corrections, then click on "SAVE"

I can't "prove this to be factual" but the forum software platform is NOT equipped to handle "all inputs for all sources".... It's a "computer platform" that was "modified to support Tap-A-Talk" that was modified to support "commercial Tap-A-Talk" in both I-phone and Android platforms...

THE ONLY PLATFORM IT DOES "WELL" IS THE COMPUTER PLATFORM.... Anything else is an "add on" and a "work in progress"....

If you think of it like your car. You buy it, equipped with cruise control. If you add a "Garmin GPS" to the dash, don't expect it to become a "self driving car".... Same with a "windows based computer program that's attempting to work on a Tap-A-Talk platform...… Some (NOT ALL) features will work on the "alternative platforms"...…

In the case of the "photo/imaging section", I think you've found a "weakness in the interface"... Solution: Use a computer (desktop/laptop) to post photos/correct orientation of your photos.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks the problems have been with phone pictures I copy to the computer. In this case the forum posting flipped my pictures 180 degrees not 90. I'll take my antiquated camera, take some pictures and transfer them to the computer and see how that works.
Are both the phone and camera pictures the same file extension?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
chunker

Quote:
Are both the phone and camera pictures the same file extension?
If you mean such as a pdf file yes. All I did was take a picture with the phone, and email it to myself so I could have it on the computer. Saved that attachment to the apple photo program and tried to attach to a posting here. I'm far from being a puter guru and sometimes just get by.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
If you mean such as a pdf file yes. All I did was take a picture with the phone, and email it to myself so I could have it on the computer. Saved that attachment to the apple photo program and tried to attach to a posting here. I'm far from being a puter guru and sometimes just get by.
Just trying to think this thru. If it's the same file extension then the forum cannot tell if you took it with a cell phone or any other digital device. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me (not hard to find) will chime in.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
chunker

I did it the "old way" Pictures with my antiquated Nikon Coolpic and put on the computer. I just successfully attached 3 pictures on my original posting from last night on the "Keystone Questions" section under "Disappointing PDI" thread.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
Carl n Susan

Rotated pictures on RV Life forums are not unusual. Here is an explanation from another RV Life Forum.

Several members have noted orientation issues when loading images to profiles, and avatars and posts. The underlying cause is almost always a picture that is taken with a smart phone or tablet.

These devices often rotate images in their viewer so that they always appear right side up regardless of how you are holding your device.

When the pics are saved on these devices they retain info about their true orientation ion the meta-data for the image. When loaded to the forum, the forum software only reads that data and has no way to auto-rotate them.

The solution is to pull your image into an image editor of some sort and then, rotate and resave it.

If you are an iphone or ipad user here are some instructions:
  1. Launch the Photos app on your device.
  2. Find the photo that you'd like to rotate and tap on it to open.
  3. Next, tap the hamburger menu along the bottom of your screen.
  4. Tap on the crop button in the bottom menu.
  5. Tap on the rotate button on the bottom left. It's a box with a curved arrow. Keep tapping it until the photo is rotated the way you'd like.
  6. Tap the Done button.

As I use a PC, I email the pic to it and save it in a folder. The folder is set to show large icons. A incorrectly oriented photo will be obvious by looking at the icon. With W10 right click on the icon and select "rotate' to correct the orientation. Then you can upload the pic to the forum.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Rotated pictures on RV Life forums are not unusual. Here is an explanation from another RV Life Forum.

Several members have noted orientation issues when loading images to profiles, and avatars and posts. The underlying cause is almost always a picture that is taken with a smart phone or tablet.

These devices often rotate images in their viewer so that they always appear right side up regardless of how you are holding your device.

When the pics are saved on these devices they retain info about their true orientation ion the meta-data for the image. When loaded to the forum, the forum software only reads that data and has no way to auto-rotate them.

The solution is to pull your image into an image editor of some sort and then, rotate and resave it.

5. Tap on the rotate button on the bottom left. It's a box with a curved arrow. Keep tapping it until the photo is rotated the way you'd like.
  6. Tap the Done button.

As I use a PC, I email the pic to it and save it in a folder. The folder is set to show large icons. A incorrectly oriented photo will be obvious by looking at the icon. With W10 right click on the icon and select "rotate' to correct the orientation. Then you can upload the pic to the forum.
Wow what a complicated deal. I think I'll stick to my old trusty 3 mp Nikon for any photos I want to post. Who wrote the picture attachment program for the Rv life site??? a 3 year old?????
Old 03-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Just trying to think this thru. If it's the same file extension then the forum cannot tell if you took it with a cell phone or any other digital device. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me (not hard to find) will chime in.
As I understand it, there is information in the header file for the JPG that indicates orientation. Perhaps the forum's software does not look at this and make the appropriate correction for display. I know with my phone to take a photo that is in the proper orientation I have to have the sound buttons facing up - but then for some reason this doesn't always work (gremlins!) so I must use the procedure I described above. My old XP computer does not make the orientation correction while the Win10 one does.

Here's a nuts-and-bolts description: https://www.fileformat.info/format/jpeg/egff.htm

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #14
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post

6. Tap the Done button.

This dosnt always work either unfortunately.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Wow what a complicated deal. I think I'll stick to my old trusty 3 mp Nikon for any photos I want to post. Who wrote the picture attachment program for the Rv life site??? a 3 year old?????
Most of the problem being described here stems from the smartphone practice of rotating a photo to match how you are holding the phone instead of showing you the true upside-up representation. Although I make posts from my smartphone I usually make photo posts exclusively from my laptop, so I haven't run into that.

What I have run into is that the forum software almost always (though not always!) prefers to show any photo in landscape rather than portrait. (Taking photos with your Nikon isn't going to beat this problem.)

As several others have said, the "solution" (read "kludge") is to embed a portrait photo in a landscape "frame." I tossed together one that I use when I need it (attached), and I just stick the portrait photo into the blank area on the right side of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horizontal-helper.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	25651  
Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

The one "simple" and "elegant" solution to this is to take the picture in the correct orientation to begin with.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:44 AM   #17
LHaven

No, really doesn't solve the problem, unless you are saying that only landscape orientation is "correct." The forum will take an entirely proper portrait photo and rotate it 90° nearly every time.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:58 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
No, really doesn't solve the problem, unless you are saying that only landscape orientation is "correct." The forum will take an entirely proper portrait photo and rotate it 90° nearly every time.
Gee, o.k., let make it even simpler. Take the picture in the "correct" orientation for the forum.". By the way, the reason for portrait and landscape orientation is pretty much self explanatory by virtue of the labels themselves.

I think the reason a lot of people use portrait mode when taking all their photos is from the prevalence of taking "selfies" and using phones as their primary media tool.. Unless you are capturing something that's taller than it is wide, like a tall building, a person (well, most people lol) etc. than you get a closer and more info going landscape. That's how high Def TV's and computer screens are typically used.

Tags
pictures